Bit Of A Yarn

Closed door meetings

curious

Following a meeting between NZTR, stewards and club representatives it has been decided that today’s meeting at Taupo and Friday’s at Waverley will be closed-door events.

This is based on the government’s announcement of a return to alert level 3 in the Auckland Super-City region and alert level 2 for the remainder of the country from midday today until midnight on Friday. 

While gatherings of up to 100 people are permitted under alert level 2, the short lead in time to allow for preparations led to the decision to return to closed- door meetings to protect industry participants.

Contact tracing, temperature checks, social distancing and encouraging the liberal use of hand sanitizer will also be reintroduced at these meetings.

A decision on Riccarton, racing on Saturday, and Ruakaka, now racing on Sunday, will be made once there is greater clarity from the government.

• Like 1

Yes, I agree.

I'm trying to get some direction from CJC management about the hospitality suites for Saturday.

Commonsense says that social distancing can't be practiced in rooms the size of a couple of loose boxes...so make a decision out of consideration for those folk who have to travel.

That needn't affect the day's racing, unless a closed - door stance is required...and even then, we were racing carefully and - IMO responsibly -  under level 3 prior to lockdown. 

If Mills has any respect for supporters like you Freda he'll get his arse into gear quick pronto........surely if you've booked a hospitality suite then the catering, food wastage has to be taken into account?  My guess is that there will be more positives to COVID and the reaction will be hard and painful......

9 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

If Mills has any respect for supporters like you Freda he'll get his arse into gear quick pronto........surely if you've booked a hospitality suite then the catering, food wastage has to be taken into account?  My guess is that there will be more positives to COVID and the reaction will be hard and painful......

I feel there has to be more positives, too...not that doom and gloom has to rule, just common sense.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Freda said:

I feel there has to be more positives, too...not that doom and gloom has to rule, just common sense.

Under Level-2 hospitality can be managed and the protocols are clear.  I see no reason why they can't go ahead with what has been planned at Riccarton.  I wouldn't imagine that they have been booked out.  Why not move groups to bigger rooms?  You would only have to do that if the groups were bigger than 10.

10 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Under Level-2 hospitality can be managed and the protocols are clear.  I see no reason why they can't go ahead with what has been planned at Riccarton.  I wouldn't imagine that they have been booked out.  Why not move groups to bigger rooms?  You would only have to do that if the groups were bigger than 10.

Most will be a lot more than ten...and there are no bigger rooms.

Might all be moot anyway.  The latest is that an Auckland Finance Firm has been shut down.  150 employees over four sites being tested.  Some have symptoms.  Having recently worked in that industry these third tier lenders are focussed on the South Auckland polynesian community.  I would say that they will have trouble containing this now.

Either way....there have to be cases all over.

Testing rates have been allowed to dwindle and society has become complacent. 

Not to mention 'escapees '  from quarantine,  and planeloads of people from all over the place pouring in...it is to be hoped that management protocols in hospitals and aged care facilities have improved, for the sake of those vulnerable souls. 

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

10 minutes ago, Freda said:

it is to be hoped that management protocols in hospitals and aged care facilities have improved, for the sake of those vulnerable souls.

Somehow I don't think so.  I did see a report that the number of ICU beds have been increased but not by much.  No trained staff anyway.

From recent interactions with the hospital system it seems to me that the constraints aren't buildings or room for beds but certain pieces of equipment and trained staff at the hard end.  For example a friend of mine was in hospital just this last week - had to wait two days for an ultrasound!

Yeah.

And, even if best case scenario has Auckland out of level 3 ( which I very much doubt)  level 2 will be here for a while.   So just make a bloody decision, ffs, do what is the socially responsible thing, reduce personal contact, eliminate potential points of infection as much as possible, and stop sitting on hands wondering what to do next.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Mmmm now the story has changed again.  Two sites - one a finance company - 130 people being tested some displaying symptoms.  Another site 160 people being tested.

Yes. That's what was announced by Ashley at this morning's briefing. They are also doing genome testing to try and track the source and environment testing at at least one of those work places.

6 minutes ago, nomates said:

You've gotta love a JAFA , they live in Auckland but they don't like living there , no fecking way , not in a lock down , if there's gonna be a lock down they want to be in the Coromandel . Getting turned back at the check points . They're triers .

Maybe now's a good time to block auckland from the rest of the country ,BUILD A WALL.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Freda said:

Yeah.

And, even if best case scenario has Auckland out of level 3 ( which I very much doubt)  level 2 will be here for a while.   So just make a bloody decision, ffs, do what is the socially responsible thing, reduce personal contact, eliminate potential points of infection as much as possible, and stop sitting on hands wondering what to do next.

Interesting to note that there doesn't seem to be any evidence of gloves or face masks at Taupo today. Are NZTR not enforcing their own protocols? And Taupo is one place along with Rotorua that Bloomfield requested particular vigilance.

37 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

Maybe now's a good time to block auckland from the rest of the country ,BUILD A WALL.

People can laugh but in reality that place sucks the rest of the country dry,most of our income is derived from rural nz,they hardly produce a decent sporting side,for a place with the numbers that live there it's a poor achiever.

• Haha 2