Bit Of A Yarn

Promising fillies going

Just read that 3 promising fillies , 2 of them Stakes winners this spring , are transferring to C Wallers stable after the 1000 gns at Riccarton in a few weeks . Only Words , who is already there , Matchmaker and now Tinker McPhee , currently fav for the 1000 gns , have all seen majority shareholdings sold to clients of CW .

A sad continuation of the drain of talent out of NZ , good luck to all the owners who sold can't blame them .

This is one of the things that we need to reverse to some degree , will only happen if we have a strong and vibrant NZ racing industry . 

• Like 2

It has been going on for a while, and will only happen more and more.

It's not just stakes - although, god knows, that is bad enough - but the programming and dates, and the pervading lack of professionalism, accountability, and the jobs-for-the- boys culture.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Have just read that yesterdays impressive maiden winner at Te Rapa , Explosively , has had a 50% sold to Aus interests and will be heading over there , and the 2000 gns runner up Boubonaire has been sold up to HK and heads straight up there . There was a time when they waited till the Autumn to raid our stocks but not anymore . 

21 minutes ago, nomates said:

The best and most ironic part is that " loveracing " are advertising these sales on their website . Here guys get a racehorse and see how much you could sell it off shore for , don't keep it here and race for peanuts . Brain numbing .

Great point, they do seem to struggle for stories that lot so they probably love one being sold & winning G1 in NZ is no longer the aspiration it once was, selling them to Aus is.

10 minutes ago, Huey said:

Great point, they do seem to struggle for stories that lot so they probably love one being sold & winning G1 in NZ is no longer the aspiration it once was, selling them to Aus is.

That is exactly why our racing is soooo bland , anything with any real ability is pounced on , fillies to Aus and colts to HK . I'll give Te Akau their due , they race their horses , best will go to Aussie for the carnivals , which is fine , but the rest race and are sold after they have finished racing . So we end up with a very second rate product . is it any wonder TA win 25% of feature races , makes it easy to punt , TA with Opie up , the only safe way to have a punt in NZ .

25 minutes ago, nomates said:

That is exactly why our racing is soooo bland , anything with any real ability is pounced on , fillies to Aus and colts to HK . I'll give Te Akau their due , they race their horses , best will go to Aussie for the carnivals , which is fine , but the rest race and are sold after they have finished racing . So we end up with a very second rate product . is it any wonder TA win 25% of feature races , makes it easy to punt , TA with Opie up , the only safe way to have a punt in NZ .

That's also one of the issues though isn't it, TA are so dominant even when the good horses are kept in NZ , let alone the good ones being sold to Aus. also !  

Bland is a great description of the sport in NZ , unfortunately.

11 minutes ago, nomates said:

Boy , i watched a couple of the races from Korea today , now that is bland , a picture of things to come . The riders tho , wow , made most of ours look like Lester Piggott , feck they make John Wayne look like an equestrian rider .

I think your south island riders in general not that far behind the tasmanian and Korean  jockeys .

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, theshu said:

I think your south island riders in general not that far behind the tasmanian and Korean  jockeys .

Your not wrong , i have sworn off betting on SI racing except where Allpress or such are riding , every race questions should be asked about some of the mysterious riding tactics or complete lack of understanding that it is a race and not a trial or jumpout they are in . Obviously the stipes don't watch the races because they figure they could never get through all the issues from a race before the next was due to run .

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

So i see another of our top 3yo fillies has left our shores , Atishu , a late season star has been xfered to C Waller , trialing on Friday in Sydney . Will we have any good 3yo's able to step up and fill the better races later in the new season . Getting scary .

3 hours ago, nomates said:

So i see another of our top 3yo fillies has left our shores , Atishu , a late season star has been xfered to C Waller , trialing on Friday in Sydney . Will we have any good 3yo's able to step up and fill the better races later in the new season . Getting scary .

Be interesting to follow her progress 

12 hours ago, nomates said:

NZTR have a plan , so dont worry! They'll report on her every more when she is over there , so we all can loveracing!

• Champ Post 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 28/07/2021 at 6:19 PM, nomates said:

There's your answer @nomates - picks up AUD$61,000 winning a Benchmark 88 at Royal Randwick.

Always knew the reason she went there .

36 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Will we have any good 3yo's able to step up and fill the better races later in the new season . Getting scary .

This was the question .

Atishu had been trialling well so had a bit of a punt , came off the bit on the corner but was impressive at the line , impressive last 50mtrs , this mare could be a little bit special .

15 minutes ago, nomates said:

Always knew the reason she went there .

This was the question .

Atishu had been trialling well so had a bit of a punt , came off the bit on the corner but was impressive at the line , impressive last 50mtrs , this mare could be a little bit special .

Yep.  She certainly had that look of superiority on her face when she went past them.  Not easy to win first up at Royal Randwick.