Bit Of A Yarn

Gone for 6 months

Forbury

Driver D O'Connell defended a charge issued under Rule 868(2) alleging that he failed to take all reasonable and permissible measures to ensure PETE'S DASH was given full opportunity to win or obtain the best possible placing by failing to attempt to obtain cover and allow his runner respite when the opportunities to do so were presented but instead elect to hold the parked position. After viewing the replays and hearing the evidence, the JCA upheld the charge and Mr O'Connell's driver's licence was suspended from the conclusion of racing on 30 October 2020 up to and including 30 April 2021 (6 months).

It will be worth reading the full report when it comes out.

I don't think he will be too concerned about not driving for 6 months as he is hardly a regular and didn't get a fine to go with it.

John Murdoch's drive on Essence of Easton yesterday would have incurred the wrath of the stipes if it had been favourite. He elected to go the rails while 3 back the outside but that is what you are betting on when you have hobby trainers doing the steering. 

Great drive yesterday Denis, will be a good memory for the next 6 months.

Let's just hope he keeps in the game, battler that certainly provides horse numbers for the southern circuit, and to be fair keeps these battlers competitive, where they outcome for some of these horses could be much different, great to see him get a winner yesterday, I'm a battler when it comes to punting, but every dog has its day, was lucky to get Clifton jessie yesterday at the fixed price of 126s and 21s, thought it was well overs at that, with a tidy draw and a average field, keep the account ticking along, those ones don't come up very often, but I'm always looking.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Shad said:

Let's just hope he keeps in the game, battler that certainly provides horse numbers for the southern circuit, and to be fair keeps these battlers competitive, where they outcome for some of these horses could be much different, great to see him get a winner yesterday, I'm a battler when it comes to punting, but every dog has its day, was lucky to get Clifton jessie yesterday at the fixed price of 126s and 21s, thought it was well overs at that, with a tidy draw and a average field, keep the account ticking along, those ones don't come up very often, but I'm always looking.

Keeps the account ticking along for now aye😧

17 minutes ago, Shad said:

Strange thing,PetesDash seems to be a habitual 5th or 6th placegetter so with other drivers still getting same result,6 months is a bit tough,maybe just a bit of advice might have been enough.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

Advanced Amateurs, how ridiculous!

You are either an amateur or a professional I wouldve thought?

If you are classed as an amateur, then they should only be allowed to drive in amateur races and bot professional!

Nothing personal at all, but if you are not up to driving to a good standard then you need to be in the stand!

Yes Denis had a win yesterday but in reality he should not have been on the track if the JCA had have done their job in a timely manner!!!!!

9 minutes ago, Brodie said:

If you are classed as an amateur, then they should only be allowed to drive in amateur races and bot professional!

Over the years that would have precluded many a fine trainer from driving their own horses.  I bet a few true standardbred followers can name a few of them.

I would assume an advanced amateur was measured on how many drives they had and how many wins.  I'm not sure if the rule still exists but you had to have so many wins as a driver before you could drive in the NZ Cup.

Also Brodie did you know that Dennis O'Connell has a better UDR this year than Michael House?

Edited by Noodlum

2 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

0.9% have retired.

This season?

So how far do the stipes go in critiquing drives?  Considering most of them either haven't driven or have a worse lifetime UDR?

Fine line between a good drive and a bad one.  Compare O'Connell's suspension to Colin De Filippis!

3 minutes ago, Noodlum said:

This season?

So how far do the stipes go in critiquing drives?  Considering most of them either haven't driven or have a worse lifetime UDR?

Fine line between a good drive and a bad one.  Compare O'Connell's suspension to Colin De Filippis!

The old story thats been happening for sometime, never a level playing field,and the battlers will always get the rough end of the pineapple, just worry that comes the time where these guys, will say  buggar it, have my license, have my horses and go jam it, did the horse in question carry alot of betting money at the time, I must go back and have another look, seen two jockeys smacked over the hand yesterday for relaxing rides at the finish, some years ago would have been automatic suspension, now just a word in the ear.Show these fellas leniency or axe these races and send these battling horses to another fate very much worse, maybe .At the end of the day we all know what these races are about, and have a choice whether we want to have a bet in them.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Shad said:

At the end of the day we all know what these races are about, and have a choice whether we want to have a bet in them.

Yeah I've never worked out which "punters they are protecting"!  

Must only be the mug punter and if that's the case then Brodie has a point with the 52 start no dividend Spitfire!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Shad said:

The old story thats been happening for sometime, never a level playing field,and the battlers will always get the rough end of the pineapple,

I believe Mark Purdon has been warned twice in recent times about not driving minor placing horses out at the finish. 

Warnings for some and canings for others.

2 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Warnings for some and canings for others.

Exactly.  Herlihy the other night breaks the rules of racing, inches from knocking the feet out from under a horse but close enough for it to puncture his tyre and what does he get?  A warning?

If O'Connell had done the same thing based on his latest penalty he would have got two years or life!  Lucky he knows he doesn't have the skills to try such a manoeuvre!

• Like 2

Just now, Noodlum said:

Exactly.  Herlihy the other night breaks the rules of racing, inches from knocking the feet out from under a horse but close enough for it to puncture his tyre and what does he get?  A warning?

If O'Connell had done the same thing based on his latest penalty he would have got two years or life!  Lucky he knows he doesn't have the skills to try such a manoeuvre!

Sad but true isn't it.

Just now, Happy Sunrise said:

Sad but true isn't it.

Where is Godsen in all this?  Do they regularly sit down and review all the decisions made and compare consistency?

Yeah na!  Zero accountability and zero quality control.  No wonder there are a lot of drivers and trainers with zero respect for them.

1 minute ago, Noodlum said:

Where is Godsen in all this?  Do they regularly sit down and review all the decisions made and compare consistency?

Yeah na!  Zero accountability and zero quality control.  No wonder there are a lot of drivers and trainers with zero respect for them.

Even though you and I see different things when it comes to their decisions they have zero quality control as you say. I would have no respect for them as well. 

Lamb stopped the horses rushing the tapes in the first and then they got turned out and in the second they rushed and he let them go. Go figure.

2 hours ago, Noodlum said:

This season?

But C J can drive, the other can’t!

CJ should not have been suspended!

• Like 1

On 26/10/2020 at 12:47 PM, Noodlum said:

Herlihy the other night breaks the rules of racing, inches from knocking the feet out from under a horse but close enough for it to puncture his tyre and what does he get?  A warning?

Olivia T must be rated nearer to O'Connell than Herlihy. Should Herlihy not get done for careless driving? 

image.thumb.png.edb1bcbe5d691680f1da2e4149d6468f.png

image.thumb.png.be7df07b49cd28c2e4d8e89ae8dc2462.png

Marginal? What kind of word is marginal? If there is contact, there is contact. Do I suppose because he did it to himself he gets a warning? But if you do it to another sulky you get fined etc. But I thought the RIU was there to protect punters, if B for B lost because of Herlihy's indiscretion then what? A hefty fine or nothing? 

Is this marginal? Are the consequences marginal for the punter?

image.png.47c78db10d2f44dbad537e06b3e826f8.png

• Like 1

On 10/25/2020 at 10:47 PM, Forbury said:

Driver D O'Connell defended a charge issued under Rule 868(2) alleging that he failed to take all reasonable and permissible measures to ensure PETE'S DASH was given full opportunity to win or obtain the best possible placing by failing to attempt to obtain cover and allow his runner respite when the opportunities to do so were presented but instead elect to hold the parked position. After viewing the replays and hearing the evidence, the JCA upheld the charge and Mr O'Connell's driver's licence was suspended from the conclusion of racing on 30 October 2020 up to and including 30 April 2021 (6 months).

When one thinks about it,there are many drives or drivers who could be charged for the same offence,the guys who loop the field then sit parked and then fade,there was one in Invercargill in winter that was a standout for that,maybe the fact that O Connell is not a full time driver is the reason for the 6 months,yes it wasn't a good drive but I do remember a horse at nelson going about 35 wide on the turn and nothing done on that occasion.maybe a warning about ones failings might have been better,Pete's Dash seems to be no different with any other driver,sometimes we can stuff things up and can learn going forward.