Bit Of A Yarn

Grapevine talk

Of course it suited some trainers, those that train there, but and it's a big but, it's a brand new surface, just wait a bit, let's see what happens when it starts to break up and the kick back resembles a wind storm in the Simpson desert.

One bloke was saying oh there was no kick back yesterday and horses came from everywhere...oh please, why then did Toowoomba pull theirs up and Geelong long went past it's use by date as the kick back there was atrocious.

Once they start racing there the pools will be full of mug money, or the needy and the greedy, big punters here wont let go on the synthetic, just like many horses......time will tell.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Nostradamus said:

So the first trials of the symphetic track went under way today, trainers already saying it's flawed before today happened, But all the media have raved about it. A select bunch of jockeys that have probably never experienced an all weather have said how wonderful it is. Thoughts on this?? 

What you have to factor in , is that many of the changes (including the AWTs)  within the industry have been made for certain players (you don't need to be a genius to work it out) within the industry and not the industry overall(although thats how its sold and being communicated through racing media)therefore you are going to get a certain section of the the industry expressing concerns.

Rest assured they do not care! 

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

I noted with interest a certain very experienced Riccarton trainer referring to the poor lighting at Riccarton? Not posted here, but it is a very concerning issue. This is a welfare issue, horse and rider. If during the construction of the AWT a rider or horse is injured or worse surely legal action against those who oversee the track would follow? In todays day and age lighting at tracks is paramount, good lighting that is. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

I noted with interest a certain very experienced Riccarton trainer referring to the poor lighting at Riccarton? Not posted here, but it is a very concerning issue. This is a welfare issue, horse and rider. If during the construction of the AWT a rider or horse is injured or worse surely legal action against those who oversee the track would follow? In todays day and age lighting at tracks is paramount, good lighting that is. 

That AWT that none of you want comes with new lighting....problem solved

41 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Didn't need it before.  Used to wait for the big boy upstairs to pull over that big shiny orange thing.

image.png

image.png

And Chief,......night racing at Riccarton, you bloody beauty, a winter AWT championship, like they run at Wolverhampton and Lingfield in the UK.......great prizemoney, great crowds and plenty of atmosphere......oh well, none out of three aint that bad. Marsh and co will flood the visitors barn, gee, Mills might have to build more stabling to accomodate the masses.....you think?

50 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

You do your BOAY handle a disservice Tesio, a man of vision and sound thinking, not you, but the real deal.

Keep your knickers on Joe.....was just stating the obvious solution to the problem of “lack of lighting at Riccarton” you were having crack about.

And the fact new lighting would accompany the new AWT, as I've said a squiilion times before, why didn't the brains trust, [I say that loosely] give the Toowoomba club a call? hey fellas, why did you throw your AWT to the shithouse? did you blokes ever get to the gist of why no trainers would support it? and are we Fwits for putting one in here in Chch?......etc etc........wasting 10's of millions of money they don't have disgusts me, and you only have to stand back and look at the decision makers that surround themselves with brown noses and spineless cretans.......all this money should have gone to the regional clubs that stood up with a business plan, and there would be many, many......and improved there ailing infrastructure......many could have pulled down the old grandstands and erected sail cloth viewing for summer like we do at many of the country/outback clubs in Oz, and much of the saveable timber could have been salvaged from the old buildings, totes included and with community help like Mens Sheds etc a small weatherproof building for winter.......proper facilities for officials and jocks, and money gone into grooming and maintaining course proper and plough, sand for the trainers......if you're going to spend government money Tesio, do it properly and with discourse.....with learned passionate industry people.....they're out there all right, thousands of them......just pissed and disenchanted.

1 hour ago, Joe Bloggs said:

And the fact new lighting would accompany the new AWT, as I've said a squiilion times before, why didn't the brains trust, [I say that loosely] give the Toowoomba club a call? hey fellas, why did you throw your AWT to the shithouse? did you blokes ever get to the gist of why no trainers would support it? and are we Fwits for putting one in here in Chch?......etc etc........wasting 10's of millions of money they don't have disgusts me, and you only have to stand back and look at the decision makers that surround themselves with brown noses and spineless cretans.......all this money should have gone to the regional clubs that stood up with a business plan, and there would be many, many......and improved there ailing infrastructure......many could have pulled down the old grandstands and erected sail cloth viewing for summer like we do at many of the country/outback clubs in Oz, and much of the saveable timber could have been salvaged from the old buildings, totes included and with community help like Mens Sheds etc a small weatherproof building for winter.......proper facilities for officials and jocks, and money gone into grooming and maintaining course proper and plough, sand for the trainers......if you're going to spend government money Tesio, do it properly and with discourse.....with learned passionate industry people.....they're out there all right, thousands of them......just pissed and disenchanted.

You still have those knickers off Joe......when have i been spending the money.....Go back and look at my thoughts on AWT a few posts back to Chief. 

You were crying about lack of lighting.....lighting is coming.......now your crying about god knows what else.

You better add a few more 00’s on the end to the AWT budget to achieve what you have dreamed up that money would be better used for.

2 hours ago, Tesio said:

Yes it does...actually 50 lights (not for racing though) 

OK. Thanks. Tough to work out why they would need 50 lights whwn you'd think half a dozen would do. Hard to know without seeing the design/plan though. Does the Cambridge AWT have the same lighting scheme?

19 hours ago, Huey said:

So in the meantime Riccarton is H&S exempt? You must work for NZTR!

Yes, a concern for some.   The lighting has always been very average, although some manage to work nevertheless.  I've never been happy to work horses when their riders can't see properly, and I can't watch their action, etc.

But I don't have big numbers, I don't need to.  Some do.

But fast work is not allowed until daylight.   Not a problem now, but I can envisage one when winter comes and daylight hours are much reduced.

Pushed into the middle and away from such lighting as already exists, things will be difficult I feel, unless some temporary measure is put in place.  At the moment, no such intention has been  indicated.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Eh?  You're kidding me? Well I guess we will see a very variable racing surface tending in weather conditions.

Chief..... a comment i spotted in a report on the Riccarton track is below....you will have a wee giggle.

“The proposed synthetic track also has a number of operational advantages, when compared to the existing grass track that is being replaced, in respect of superior drainage, reduced water use because irrigation is not required and reduced maintenance requirements”