Bit Of A Yarn

World Cup 2018

The proper World Cup starts tomorrow.

Anyone interested?

I have backed Belgium at the last few major tournaments and they have disappointed, still look strong on paper so I will go again.

Will also punt Argentina, likely Messi's last WC and probably the only thing missing for his legacy is a good WC.

And of course, England will get some of my money, but that's more of a heart bet than a head bet.

Thoughts Anyone?

Steve.

2 hours ago, Steve Paul said:

Anyone interested?

Can't wait Steve!!  Loses a little bit of its appeal without my beloved Dutch team there, but still a fantastic event.

I agree re Argentina - that's quite a line-up they have there and if Messi wants to be remembered as one of the immortals, a World Cup might help.  One downside is the history of South American teams in European World Cups.

I'm picking Denmark might upset France in that group - its actually quite a strong group with Peru a very good side and even the Ockers playing quite well in the warmups.

I also think Croatia a bit of a dark horse.

Bring it on!

Edited by N1MUE
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Steve Paul said:

Croatia looked as though they could go deep.

Agree, Argentina looked ordinary, but it's just about getting out of the group stage into the knockout rounds, that's when the tournament really starts.

Agree Steve,getting "square  eyes" ?from  all the football already!!!

Gone with Lukaku,Suarez and Ronaldo (greedy bastard, all free kicks and pens)

Cheers

Great to see the English beat those North Africans todays.Maybe if they had tried to play football then a draw would have been a good result but no they tried to be smart arses with their defence, and  the English were good enough(ONLY JUST) to take advantage.

The game was thoroughly boring.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, mumbles said:

Great to see the English beat those North Africans todays.Maybe if they had tried to play football then a draw would have been a good result but no they tried to be smart arses with their defence, and  the English were good enough(ONLY JUST) to take advantage.

The game was thoroughly boring.

Just an added bit of news..Walter Bahr the last surviving member of the USA world cup team that beat England 1-0 in Brazil in 1950 has passed away at the age of 91.

On 14/06/2018 at 6:48 PM, Steve Paul said:

The proper World Cup starts tomorrow.

Anyone interested?

I have backed Belgium at the last few major tournaments and they have disappointed, still look strong on paper so I will go again.

Will also punt Argentina, likely Messi's last WC and probably the only thing missing for his legacy is a good WC.

And of course, England will get some of my money, but that's more of a heart bet than a head bet.

Thoughts Anyone?

Steve.

Hope yr not going to lose to much on Argentina Steve. Their defense is like they said it was , wafer thin. Messi wont save this lot, after that destruction job by Croatia who look strong.

I think when Russia meet a real football team they wont look so good.

Without Holland and Italy being there, the Sth Americans never really firing away from home and some smaller nations making up the rest ie Iceland etc, dare I say it but England may have a chance of making the semis.  Could it be their year.?

• Like 1

Lots of happy Poms this morning Steve, 6-1, only Panama, but scoring goals at WC's hasn't been an English strong point.

And then a 5-0 whitewash in the cricket, and the way it was done must have broken those Aussie hearts, 114-8 with 20 overs to go, and the most destructive batsmen in world cricket, Jos Buttler, smashes a ton.

Edited by hesi

9 hours ago, hesi said:

Lots of happy Poms this morning Steve, 6-1, only Panama, but scoring goals at WC's hasn't been an English strong point.

And then a 5-0 whitewash in the cricket, and the way it was done must have broken those Aussie hearts, 114-8 with 20 overs to go, and the most destructive batsmen in world cricket, Jos Buttler, smashes a ton.

Don't forget the Rugby, both codes!!!

T'is good to be English at the moment.

Care to disclose what part of England you are from Steve.

Spent 2 years working in Hull, and had a girlfriend who lived in Stoke, so that midwinter trip over the Pennines was not much fun, black ice, freezing fog.

Had never come across freezing fog before, diabolical.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hesi said:

Spent 2 years working in Hull, and had a girlfriend who lived in Stoke, so that midwinter trip over the Pennines was not much fun, black ice, freezing fog.

The best part...Manchester.

8 hours ago, hesi said:

Girlfriend from Stoke!!!!!

9 hours ago, globederby12 said:

Yr odds for England just shortened with the Krauts being knocked out Steve. 

Yes been surprised at how well England have looked, obviously very early against weak opposition, but they do look as though they could go deep (however, our recent history does suggest that we cruise through the group stages and then lose on penalties in the first knockout round!).

Prior to the  start I did not give them a realistic chance!

Thought it was by far the worst England squad I had seen going into a major tournament for a long time with the worst England manager I had seen for a long time, considering his predecessors included; Allardyce, Hodgson, Capello and McClaren that is some statement!

Anyway pleased to be proved wrong and enjoying the ride!!

Go England!!!!!!

Steve.

• Like 1

My last 8. 

Brasil, ( still have that magic that can turn matches and no Germany this time) Top 4

France ( bound to kick the Gallic mind into gear now but not enough for semis)

Belgium (looking very strong this time around) Top 4

Portugal (Christiano factor a major but not for me for top 4)

Sweden (  Good steady side but not top 4 material)

England ( Young side with potential, giving them a great chance) Top 4

Croatia ) Enigma, cant make up my mind.

Spain) Same here. 

Having Brasilian family through my youngest son and knowing their passion for football, they are my fav to do it again. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mumbles said:

Argentina gone.is good news for those of us who were sick and tired of seeing Maradonna and his bloated ego and face.

Funny as to watch. Always looking skyward for divine intervention or giving the fingers to all and sundry.  

Some brilliant goals by France from long range though, and might have to review Uraguays  chances after their win. 

It's a great leveller  penalty kicks, some of the greats have missed horribly when the pressure is on. Messi and Ronaldo both missed this time in, and when one realises the skill level of both it beggars belief really. 

I remember Zico and Platini both missing at world Cups.

Great viewing though from a spectator viewpoint

• Like 1

England into quarter finals..go you beauties.

This is equivilant to the All Blacks winning the rugby world cup.

Soccer is a global game and the depth goes down a long way,unlike rugby.

Harry Kane or should that be Sir Harry Kane for Prime Minister.

• Like 1