Bit Of A Yarn

Dalgety Horses

Guest CrossCodes

Guest CrossCodes

Waching his 2 year old both running awful races tonight it really is apparent his stable is nothing like years gone by.

He always used to have really  good horses, and he still has a couple, but struggles in the big races now and can't compete with the Purdons.

I remember years ago when he won the premiership (albeit by dodgy means), those years are long gone now.

His horses are always short and don't really deliver like they used to, maybe people remember him for being a good trainer in the past, not as good now.

23 minutes ago, CrossCodes said:

Waching his 2 year old both running awful races tonight it really is apparent his stable is nothing like years gone by.

He always used to have really  good horses, and he still has a couple, but struggles in the big races now and can't compete with the Purdons.

I remember years ago when he won the premiership (albeit by dodgy means), those years are long gone now.

His horses are always short and don't really deliver like they used to, maybe people remember him for being a good trainer in the past, not as good now.

crosscodes so you think cran won premieship by dodgy means? tell us more so you think this years leader is a saint

Guest CrossCodes
3 hours ago, hunterthepunter said:

crosscodes so you think cran won premieship by dodgy means? tell us more so you think this years leader is a saint

If I recall it was right down to the line in the premiership and Cran suddenly had some more horses under his name in the last few weeks, Lochaburn I think was one, and it's what ultimately won him the title, it wasn't a good look and a lot if people lost a lot of respect for him after he did it.

The stable has slowly got worse with each season that passes, although to be fair, with the Allstars winning all the feature races everyone's stable might look worse than normal.

Edited by CrossCodes

6 hours ago, CrossCodes said:

If I recall it was right down to the line in the premiership and Cran suddenly had some more horses under his name in the last few weeks, Lochaburn I think was one, and it's what ultimately won him the title, it wasn't a good look and a lot if people lost a lot of respect for him after he did it.

The stable has slowly got worse with each season that passes, although to be fair, with the Allstars winning all the feature races everyone's stable might look worse than normal.

Had a few injured too, rakapuka ruler one. But I sort of agree, stable is battling a bit. 

On ‎15‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 12:37 AM, CrossCodes said:

that's we bit unfair as cran is moving into selling more than racing and most good trainers have spelled better horses so its down to winter racing

• Like 1

Think it was great that Cran won the premiership that year!

It is also great that Blair Aorange will win the drivers premiership this year as dominance in anything is no good!

You might say that Cran got a bit of a hand to win that year, but you must realise that Dexter was the stable driver for Michael House wasn’t he!

Not sure how or why Blair picked up Dexters drives from Michael House, however if Blair hadn’t then Dexter wins the premiership once again!!

• Like 3

Cran has still had 43 winners this season from a couple hundred starts,still a good year I would say.Especially as sold quite a few very promising types.What has surprised me is the emergence of Steve Telfer as probably the leading North Island trainer and also the poor strike rate of Mark Jones this year.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Richie said:

Cran has still had 43 winners this season from a couple hundred starts,still a good year I would say.Especially as sold quite a few very promising types.What has surprised me is the emergence of Steve Telfer as probably the leading North Island trainer and also the poor strike rate of Mark Jones this year.

mark jones two winners today his strike rate better than most

Actually just checked premiership and Mark has had 3rd most starters of any trainer in country and is 8th on premiership and 25th in UDR.

I just surprised as seems to travel down south a bit with his horses and always seems to be winning but obviously not as much as I thought

3 hours ago, Richie said:

Actually just checked premiership and Mark has had 3rd most starters of any trainer in country and is 8th on premiership and 25th in UDR.

I just surprised as seems to travel down south a bit with his horses and always seems to be winning but obviously not as much as I thought

Poor UDR - the true guide  - and this after he travels chasing weaker fields ( I.e. Oamaru today ) 

On ‎17‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 7:27 PM, Richie said:

42 winners is not bad for mark    bull frog told me the other day your old boss won 30 trials and workouts  one year and only got two winners on race day for the year

• Like 1

On 14/06/2018 at 8:25 PM, CrossCodes said:

Stats speak for themselves im afraid. Your wrong. Hes still sits fifth on the board with the least amount of starters in the top 10 and third in the prize money pool. If this is a sign of a trainer being unsuccessful. Then you must really be something special

If he is not a good trainer... what would you say about the rest of the trainers in the country? Terrible?

Edited by BitofaLegend
  • Champ Post 1

Guest CrossCodes

I note Mark Jones has had a few more racing in Australia lately, normally the kiwi horses improve a fair bit once they go over there, but his are just whacking away.

Wonder who is actually training them though as surely he can't be in two places at the same time!

22 hours ago, hunterthepunter said:

42 winners is not bad for mark    bull frog told me the other day your old boss won 30 trials and workouts  one year and only got two winners on race day for the year

May have been the year we sold about 20 to the states through Mike Stormont.That was a time when the states were buying up big.Plane loads going just about every week.

37 minutes ago, CrossCodes said:

I note Mark Jones has had a few more racing in Australia lately, normally the kiwi horses improve a fair bit once they go over there, but his are just whacking away.

Wonder who is actually training them though as surely he can't be in two places at the same time!

Didn’t he appoint Ashleigh Sieka to train for him in Oz!