Bit Of A Yarn

Betting habits,what's yours?

mikeynz

I'm basically a win and place better,we all have our favorites,and I will stress not a very good one,others might be a one or two big bets a day,exotics are obviously chasing larger returns but personally i just cant study the form that intensely so dont bother often,sports betting,are you into that,everyones different,can anybody say in all honesty they win at this game,not just in the short term but the long term,i know I havnt and it ain't for the lack of trying,this is not a easy game to be in.

When your betting is dictated to by bookies who are allowed to restrict you to only winning hundreds is a disgrace and a blight on our country's.the govt has allowed or not protected punters from such bad no integrity business practices.there must be a min win amount eg 5k.i then may have a hundred dollars on a horse again.

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

20 years ago I was a trebles punter.But with %bets now it not worth it.I used to take 5 each leg,spend $125.

I got some big ones too.When i was young I used just take 2 horses leg ,spend $8 as was on low wage.I got $6800 treble when I was 16/17yo.Just started working fulltime in a stable.Remember it well.Dad used to have put my bets on,and collect, because I was too young.Worthy Adios,Patchy Boy and Millions and Millions at Oamaru.Also got share of a big treble at Methven once when 6 of us put in a few bucks for the day and took a treble and doubles.Both Patrick O'Reilly Senior and junior won a leg each and Max Miller won the other leg.In them days you took first 2 legs then went around back.of tote to take 3rd leg if you got first 2 in.% bets have ruined the big divvies now.Ibelieve Trebles and Trifectas should be minimum 33% and Quaddies and F4s 20%

But now I take mainly multis,although I do love the Quaddies on big race days especially the Aussie gallops.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Richie said:

20 years ago I was a trebles punter.But with %bets now it not worth it.I used to take 5 each leg,spend $125.

I got some big ones too.When i was young I used just take 2 horses leg ,spend $8 as was on low wage.I got $6800 treble when I was 16/17yo.Just started working fulltime in a stable.Remember it well.Dad used to have put my bets on,and collect, because I was too young.Worthy Adios,Patchy Boy and Millions and Millions at Oamaru.Also got share of a big treble at Methven once when 6 of us put in a few bucks for the day and took a treble and doubles.Both Patrick O'Reilly Senior and junior won a leg each and Max Miller won the other leg.In them days you took first 2 legs then went around back.of tote to take 3rd leg if you got first 2 in.% bets have ruined the big divvies now.Ibelieve Trebles and Trifectas should be minimum 33% and Quaddies and F4s 20%

But now I take mainly multis,although I do love the Quaddies on big race days especially the Aussie gallops.

I remember there was a million dollar pick6 at addington one night,I think it was oaks night,(may)and one syndicate spent a huge sum to try and catch the fish,they backed 13 horses in the first race to get a good start,and you wouldn't believe it but the rank outsider in the 14 horse field won,the odds of that happening not great but they lost bigtime through,not sure if they just gave the prize to 5 winners,sometimes the prize only went to the ones who had tickets that stayed alive longest,probably that sort of result would put you off punting for a while but that's gambling I guess.

33 minutes ago, Shad said:

All the forms of betting just stretches the dollar wider, and the pools are weaker, only so much to go around 

Strange irony is that nz racing was at its strongest before the days of all these races,often one meeting raceday and no sports or fixed odds,maybe racings a victim of overkill and alternitives. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

Strange irony is that nz racing was at its strongest before the days of all these races,often one meeting raceday and no sports or fixed odds,maybe racings a victim of overkill and alternitives. 

When I was young in NZ , they had just one FIRST 4 race per meeting.

That was fantastic, as usually the feature race (not vitally so) a huge pool, a big divi, plenty of attention for the race that otherwise might not attract attention. (e.g Galloping folk having a crack at the trots) Loved It.

3 hours ago, mikeynz said:

Totally agree, if for one have never and will never have a sports bet in my life, they way I see it is it's always been for racing from day one, and should remain that way, as for the quaddies first fours ect, have basically cut the trifecta price or some trifecta worth more than first fours, whatever happened to the simple forms of betting, to many options. 

• Like 1