Bit Of A Yarn

any longshot tips for today 10 to 1 over

wally

2 minutes ago, mardigras said:

Sadly we don't all have your sources. thomass should pay good money for that. All you need now is some telepathy to get the information about the fast lane to your horse before some other horse gets there first.

i dont  know its all confusing tongue ties visors winkers etc  i backed a horse  today with his salada crackers still intact and low and behold the leader was a mare in season  he just wanted to follow her everywhere she went a bit like thomass  if only i knew the quin was a sure thing

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, barryb said:

Exactly right, I spend far far more time researching what might be the best price I can get and trying to predict which way it will move in the market, based on what the Thomass's will do.

Hats off to  you Barry,if you put the  time in on the study you deserve  the rewards ?

• Like 2

i dont  know its all confusing tongue ties visors winkers etc  i backed a horse  today with his salada crackers still intact and low and behold the leader was a mare in season  he just wanted to follow her everywhere she went a bit like thomass  if only i knew the quin was a sure thing

thomass will love that. He especially likes mares that have been served. Maybe your runner was trying to do that. If that happens during the race or shortly thereafter, does it have to be notified? Although too late to help you with that winner.

Edited by mardigras
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, mardigras said:

No doubt an important factor. But like so many, how do we actually get the info. Do we get the trainer to do a daily report? How will they actually know? A bit like feed regimes, beach training. Do we require all sorts of info to make decisions. For some, no matter how much info is given out, it won't make any difference. Yet there is a cost in providing a lot of it. And things like sleep is a measure that is likely going to be subjective as we can't really ask the horse.

My view on getting an edge often relates more to determining what other punters think is important for a horse that you don't think is as important - or vice versa. If punters think the same thing about some aspect of form, it is hardly likely to lead to them having an edge.

If owners and trainers want extra interest in the industry they must be be more forthcoming with information by entering it online.

Two examples would be informing change in training routine like using the water walker. I asked a leading trainer which horses he had on the water walker and he replied only the stable stars. The others the owners wouldn't be happy receiving the bill for the extra cost incurred being sent to the water walker.

Since we don't have pre race horse weighing and many trainers do their own then trainers when they suspect any major change in a horses weight should declare it. Last week in Singapore a horse won with an increase of 40kg in body weight yet by going back to when it last won that was its body weight.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

2 hours ago, mardigras said:

All you need now is some telepathy to get the information about the fast lane to your horse before some other horse gets there first.

Yep, I'm working on that. Just a simple radio system like they use in the US for track work should work I'm thinking and be legal.

11 hours ago, The Centaur said:

If owners and trainers want extra interest in the industry they must be be more forthcoming with information by entering it online.

Two examples would be informing change in training routine like using the water walker. I asked a leading trainer which horses he had on the water walker and he replied only the stable stars. The others the owners wouldn't be happy receiving the bill for the extra cost incurred being sent to the water walker.

Since we don't have pre race horse weighing and many trainers do their own then trainers when they suspect any major change in a horses weight should declare it. Last week in Singapore a horse won with an increase of 40kg in body weight yet by going back to when it last won that was its body weight.

More information may well result in punters generally being able to find more winners. That won't likely translate into more punters winning overall. So I'm not against more and more information. But information comes at a cost. And in NZ, questions have to be asked as whether the costs would be justified - especially against any perceived benefit to the industry.

13 hours ago, The Centaur said:

Outstanding post TC....

As you say it's only a matter of ticking an on line box these days...

...wtf...disseminating vital information like weight is as easy as ticking a box?

who knew?

Not Mardi grass....he thinks that dissemination costs huge amounts for some strange reason

Perhaps his like are living in the past?

Or his selecting 'niche' is alogrithmic...a bunch of stats all thrown in and zero knowledge of NZ nuances...like a fat neddy in need of a run

18 hours ago, The Diceman's Been said:

That is Leah Gavranich, a young lady who was a track rider in Perth who joined Arrowfield twelve years ago and who has been on a magic journey ever since......with one exception.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/superracing/man-charged-after-attack-on-female-strapper-in-mounting-yard-at-flemington/news-story/b3f99f28226349abfec20152248cfcbf

Oh that woman...remember it well..what a shocker...a spurned ex was he?

She can't be too young now D...

Did she marry one of Messiahs sons or relative....or one of the high flyers at A, D?

14 hours ago, barryb said:

Exactly right, I spend far far more time researching what might be the best price I can get and trying to predict which way it will move in the market, based on what the Thomass's will do.

Bazz dear olde thing...

You can't even predict a front runners bias track...after a race meeting...let alone trying to work out what a market will do..

Your RUAKAKA post was embarrassing...you were embarrassed weren't you??

Thomass, did you miss me telling you, I don't use stats. They are your area of stupidity. For which I am continually thankfully. Without people like you, punting would be a lot more difficult.

As for costs, time is money and someone will have to pay. I guess the owners will be happy to.

1 hour ago, Thomass said:

Outstanding post TC....

As you say it's only a matter of ticking an on line box these days...

...wtf...disseminating vital information like weight is as easy as ticking a box?

who knew?

Not Mardi grass....he thinks that dissemination costs huge amounts for some strange reason

Perhaps his like are living in the past?

Or his selecting 'niche' is alogrithmic...a bunch of stats all thrown in and zero knowledge of NZ nuances...like a fat neddy in need of a run

A classic example of information the public is entitled to is Captain Orange in the first today at Counties. Why was Captain Orange off the scene for over 600 days??? Back in 2015 he was a very nice horse and with Cameron on him went out hot favourite in a race. Interesting that he is back on board however whether its by choice or Kate Cowan favouring Aftershock that information is not necessarily entitled to everyone. But the reasons for such a lengthy break certainly should be supplied by the connections.

Just now, curious said:

Oh....they race on dirt there? 

Yep.

Just now, curious said:

Was there a fast lane and did the one in the blinkers in the first photo get up?

If there was a fast lane, I had trouble getting that info out to the one I backed! Any wearing blinkers were only doing so to protect their eyes from the intense sun.

3 minutes ago, wally said:

thanks looks like an auckland cup crowd

I don't think they get that many at the cup. It was the middle of winter. The stands were packed. I went in there to get a beer and had to take it outside as there was no where to sit or any table to stand at.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Centaur said:

A classic example of information the public is entitled to is Captain Orange in the first today at Counties. Why was Captain Orange off the scene for over 600 days??? Back in 2015 he was a very nice horse and with Cameron on him went out hot favourite in a race. Interesting that he is back on board however whether its by choice or Kate Cowan favouring Aftershock that information is not necessarily entitled to everyone. But the reasons for such a lengthy break certainly should be supplied by the connections.

We're very backward here TC...

Its only in the last year the rule has been enforced...and even then the RIU can't be bothered tweeting out the info...

...as they do in Oz

Its a simple courtesy...along with Change of Tactics...

...which we don't have here anymore...

...and the suits wonder why Thoroughbred Punters are a dying breed

1 hour ago, Thomass said:

We're very backward here TC...

Its only in the last year the rule has been enforced...and even then the RIU can't be bothered tweeting out the info...

...as they do in Oz

Its a simple courtesy...along with Change of Tactics...

...which we don't have here anymore...

...and the suits wonder why Thoroughbred Punters are a dying breed

A simple courtesy - to what a maximum potential audience of 550 people? More like that would be a dis-courtesy to the general people betting on NZ racing that couldn't give a toss about twitter. All the people that NZRB go on about with active betting accounts. All those that don't bet through accounts. And you think 550 people are going to make a difference. And those up to 550 people who get some additional info is going to bring about a change in thoroughbred punters no longer being a dying breed. I think you'd need to get the wonder info out to a far greater number than that. It's not even a good start. It's just pointless.

Actually you've got no right to be even commenting on matters you haven't got a clue about...

Like the nuances of NZ racing...

Punters can't even get an accurate track reading when it reaches H11...it could be H 15 and 12L difference....

change of tactics...as our competitors Oz have

...or the rails a death trap...when the 'experts' said it'd be just fine last week...

Simple annoyances....easily fixed...

...you hardly bet here either...but talk a big game 

You didn't know the difference between VISOR Blinkers and Blinkers..you even thought Eagle Farm was "just fine"

..you think ticking on line boxes is 'spending big money'...

...you use an algorithm system so you think other Punters don't need to know about important matters like weight

Stick to your stats statsman

And you think blinkers are a 'nuance' in NZ racing that can be applied the way you do. 

I don't need to know about blinkers, ear muffs or anything else. Since I haven't worked out a way to know what impact they are going to have to a horse - before the race. We can all select them after they have won like you do.

And I don't use stats. You do.

Eagle Farm was perfectly fine. I wasnt commenting on the track upgrade. I was commenting on the surface they raced on. It was merely wetter than expected meaning some didn't handle it and some did. You couldn't work out which ones could. Maybe you should use your eyes  rather than relying on penetrometer readings. Or are you blind as well?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mardigras said:

And you think blinkers are a 'nuance' in NZ racing that can be applied the way you do. 

I don't need to know about blinkers, ear muffs or anything else. Since I haven't worked out a way to know what impact they are going to have to a horse - before the race. We can all select them after they have won like you do.

Blinkers can be overrated.

Some trainers n.b. some don't like billing owners for items such as injections or "special" medication. They know that the "injection" along with variation in work and feed will turn form around and its in their interest to tell the owner the horse will go much better. What easier way than to excuse the form turnaround than by the application of blinkers. How often that happens I don't know but I do know it happens.

• Like 1