Bit Of A Yarn

any longshot tips for today 10 to 1 over

wally

5 hours ago, The Centaur said:

Blinkers can be overrated.

Some trainers n.b. some don't like billing owners for items such as injections or "special" medication. They know that the "injection" along with variation in work and feed will turn form around and its in their interest to tell the owner the horse will go much better. What easier way than to excuse the form turnaround than by the application of blinkers. How often that happens I don't know but I do know it happens.

Interesting stuff TC. Thomass might want to add an extra 5% given that - even though he won't know which one the 'blinkers' placebo has been given to.

2 hours ago, mardigras said:

Interesting stuff TC. Thomass might want to add an extra 5% given that - even though he won't know which one the 'blinkers' placebo has been given to.

Interesting one for the first time blinkers formula. Tomorrow Race 6 Westside. Full brother to to Wyndspelle good 2yo now racing in top company in Australia. The way he is racing I suspect blinkers may help. Impressive last few bounds at the trials. At the races has been on scenic tours. Found 1400 bit much first up although 1400 looks best now nevertheless paying $34 and $7.50. Probably ideal place chance.Suspect odds will reduce tomorrow.

1 minute ago, The Centaur said:

Interesting one for the first time blinkers formula. Tomorrow Race 6 Westside. Full brother to to Wyndspelle good 2yo now racing in top company in Australia. The way he is racing I suspect blinkers may help. Impressive last few bounds at the trials. At the races has been on scenic tours. Found 1400 bit much first up although 1400 looks best now nevertheless paying $34 and $7.50. Probably ideal place chance.Suspect odds will reduce tomorrow.

I think you are adding a factor not attributable to our follower of 'blinkers'. You stated your opinion that you at least suspect blinkers may help this particular horse. Whilst that is clearly a subjective opinion, it is at least your thoughts on the potential impact of blinkers for that runner. As opposed to the 'after race niche' about blinkers on add 30% when they win approach.

So I'd say well done if you can identify such cases as opposed to taking the carte blanche view that blinkers help when I like the horse already.

Thomass could go on with all his tripe forever. And he usually does. He has a great record of altering thread topics as well.

So getting back to the thread topic. It was about selecting horses paying $10+.

Now I realise Thomass has done that and put them up. And by golly, they even won.

But if I was to take a stab in the dark, I am thinking that when wally started the thread he was expecting people to perhaps put those selections up before the races. Who knew?

Maybe Thomass should stick to the thread topic and give that a try. Be easy for someone so coversed in the nuances of NZ racing. Look forward to seeing them.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The Centaur said:

Yeahh. Quite impressive trials. Should be close to fit now. Quinella with the blinkers off runner? FO 40s now I see. Might need to find the fast lane though?

5 hours ago, The Diceman's Been said:

I like your thinking.

I also like the trainer, who has a habit of setting them for a specific race, with a very small team, and getting the choccies, usually at good odds.

I recall him from many many many many years ago, when he was foreman for Wheels in those halcyon days.

Actually I go further back . He was stable hand then foreman for Malcolm Smith. La Mer wasn't too bad.

Negative today is no 4.5kg claim and a good old fashioned Marshment plonk

Edited by The Centaur
  • Champ Post 1

43 minutes ago, mardigras said:

I was thinking of suggesting Canberra R8 #5 Alpine King then I saw that it is wearing blinkers. So not now.

N.B. With blinkers Westside was first out then hard ridden to maintain a forward position. Contrast with Karima slow out hard ridden then eased right back before flying home. I reckon the rider of Westside was stuffed by the time he reached the home straight and hardly moved thereafter. Westside will keep although I doubt its any natural on heavy going.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Centaur said:

N.B. With blinkers Westside was first out then hard ridden to maintain a forward position. Contrast with Karima slow out hard ridden then eased right back before flying home. I reckon the rider of Westside was stuffed by the time he reached the home straight and hardly moved thereafter. Westside will keep although I doubt its any natural on heavy going.

Was that a change of tactics? I don't know the horse but punters love to hear about tactic changes I understand.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Portfolio said:

Well, 

No surprises to see what this thread has turned into. Just shows, you only need one know it all to spoil a thread, maybe label a horse rather than the usual bitch fight stuff

I think I've already put some horses up - as per the thread when it started.

1 minute ago, Portfolio said:

Yes, 

But to be honest, it gets a little tiresome to see 2 or 3 posters hammer away at each other, just saying. 

So you seem intent on having a go at me - yet I didn't come on this thread and try and introduce something unrelated. A few posts back, I mentioned taking this thread back to the topic. Hopefully that happens.

1 hour ago, wally said:

any tips for today   except be nice to your mother

bop R01  5 Come Back Tiger  
bop R03  1 Nailed It        
bop R04  2 El Disparo       
ric R06  7 Elfee            
ric R08  6 Saronic Miss     
bop R08 13 Seconds Out      (huge smokey, taken at $81)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, barryb said:

bop R01  5 Come Back Tiger  
bop R03  1 Nailed It        
bop R04  2 El Disparo       
ric R06  7 Elfee            
ric R08  6 Saronic Miss     
bop R08 13 Seconds Out      (huge smokey, taken at $81)

thanks barry hope they are as good as last weeks

• Like 1

Some I will be looking at today.

Morphettville R2 #6 Burn Off
Doomben R5 #4 I Am Impinge
Donald R7 #12 Lindsay Alfred
Quirindi R5 #12 Sammi Jain
Beaudesert R5 #4 Ace Stryker
Randwick R9 #13 Timing
Doomben R9 #2 Bassett
Toowoomba R7 #5 The Irons

And some in NZ in different races to barryb

Riccartion R7 #13 Lin
Tauranga R2 #3 Kitaya
Tauranga R6 #9 Its A Kinda Magic

I like a couple of locals at longer odds at Doomben today. Same trainer, two good jocks.

Trainer is one of my favs. 

Race 4 No 9

Race 9 No 11

This article was from back in February:

TRAINER Desleigh Forster and part-owner Basil Nolan are at odds over the next stop for emerging sprinter Malvern Estate, who picked himself off the canvas to win his fourth straight race at Doomben. 

A one-time crock who looked at one stage like he may never race, Malvern Estate struck a couple of traffic jams in the straight before lunging to grab Boomwaa in the last stride in the Open Handicap (1110m).

Forster wants to send him for a break to prepare for the winter, while Nolan, who also bred the son of Redoute’s Choice, is keen to tackle the Listed Goldmarket on the Gold Coast next month.

Either way, the pair agree the four-year-old has a bright future.

image.jpg

Edited by The Diceman's Been
  • Like 1