Bit Of A Yarn

Photo......second opinion?

The Centaur

5 minutes ago, The Centaur said:

I'll admit close inspection does give SYB a light advantage. However I've seen it before the digitally interpreted photo finishes are biased against white borders travelling at speed. If one traces where the white nose should appear then there is a dead heat. 

So a hint for trainers is to nugget the nose?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Centaur said:

Trace Patinum's head from the noseband up to its eyes. Where the white diminishes but still exists the computer says stuff that we'll ignore it.

The noseband to the eyes has nothing to do with it. The other horse's nostril is over the line when PI's is just on it.

image.png.07694b40a7a5830b6bd6abfcae1d78a6.png

The point I'm making is that the white portion of PI's nose is further along therefore it would be in line with SYB.

Now I don't know how photo finish equipment works but  if several frames go into deciding the colour of one pixel then the final result seems biased against white. If the equipment is powered by a slow computer then daresay the final pixel color could well remain as the background.

According to Photo Lynx instructions the camera settings need to be altered during the day when sun shines behind the camera. The resolution can become murky when a light color is against a light background, What I am saying is because Platinums white streak is so small it hasn't been picked therefore the difference of losing or dead heating.

You can see the white streak on Platinum's nose below

Platinum.jpg