Bit Of A Yarn

BLINKERS! Jammie knows how to 'put em on'!

Thomass

Oh shit..it's not the strip making them oxygenise blood better is it?

Oh na...look...

The Blue Diamond winning Trainers are quite onto it evidently...who knew?

Teaming up with the Freedmans: “They were tossing up whether to come here or wait and put him out to seven furlongs which is probably what he looked like he would thrive at after his Sandown win. I went down early in the week and trialled him at Balnarring and they decided to put the blinkers on him. They are tried and tested and know what they’re doing the whole team there and that’s why they produce good winners like they do.”

But you still didn't know BEFORE the race.  Still didn't make the horse go faster and I imagine there were just as many cases yesterday where new gear didn't prove to a winning move.

So will Enthaar have blinkers on next start?  She seems to have a shyte load of head gear already.  A guess a bit more might get her head down which I hear is good from stamina.

10 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

But you still didn't know BEFORE the race.  Still didn't make the horse go faster and I imagine there were just as many cases yesterday where new gear didn't prove to a winning move.

So will Enthaar have blinkers on next start?  She seems to have a shyte load of head gear already.  A guess a bit more might get her head down which I hear is good from stamina.

Oh Lordy...

Of course they knew...trialled in them...nek minute...brilliant sustained acceleration it'd never shown before...except in training...with BO...

Stink for the others I guess...

8 minutes ago, curious said:

Nothing to do with the abilities of the horses then? The team and the blinkers?

Yep...I think this has been done to dearth....

But it goes like this..the team trialled the shades and found that it made the neddy faster...

Concentration does wonderful things for speedier point a to point b transitions....

...no wandering around smelling da roses...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Bollocks.  So a horse that can run 11 secs can suddenly run 10.5?  

I'm thinking the meaning is go a "little harder at the business end 'of the event.

Like the Blue Diamond 2 year old did yesterday. 

with more forward focus , I do think a horse can pull out an extra 1/2 second late in a race, that you mention, (but possibly not that quick as what you said , more like an 11.5 instead of 12 second furlong? maybe.

concentration is the Main thing, afterall MOST horse trainers can get them Physically fit to race, It's the astute mental training that wins the races IMO.

5 hours ago, Gammalite said:

I'm thinking the meaning is go a "little harder at the business end 'of the event.

Like the Blue Diamond 2 year old did yesterday. 

with more forward focus , I do think a horse can pull out an extra 1/2 second late in a race, that you mention, (but possibly not that quick as what you said , more like an 11.5 instead of 12 second furlong? maybe.

concentration is the Main thing, afterall MOST horse trainers can get them Physically fit to race, It's the astute mental training that wins the races IMO.

Are you suggesting that mental training and blinkers are the same or similar?

Edited by curious

9 hours ago, curious said:

Are you suggesting that mental training and blinkers are the same or similar?

Well I always used 1/2 blinds, (I called them  CAN'T SEE BACKS) also used deafeners, hoods, lugging- poles, shadowrolls, headchecks, tongueties, cross over nose bands, any number of aids to keep horses straight and concentrating (therefore mentally trained).    You need All the help you can get to win a race.

blinkers were great because when a horse with one on , has another horse Loom Large outside (or inside) in the charge to the line , they 'usually' dig in and go a bit harder and run with that opponent, than what they otherwise would. ? very much mental training I think.

28 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Well I always used 1/2 blinds, (I called them  CAN'T SEE BACKS) also used deafeners, hoods, lugging- poles, shadowrolls, headchecks, tongueties, cross over nose bands, any number of aids to keep horses straight and concentrating (therefore mentally trained).    You need All the help you can get to win a race.

Maybe you should change who breaks your horses in or pre-trains them?

31 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

blinkers were great because when a horse with one on , has another horse Loom Large outside (or inside) in the charge to the line , they 'usually' dig in and go a bit harder and run with that opponent, than what they otherwise would. ? very much mental training I think.

Given your namesake 'Gammalite' I thought it was more productive to whip harder and longer.  Maybe sit in the death seat and start whipping with a round to go!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Given your namesake 'Gammalite' I thought it was more productive to whip harder and longer.  Maybe sit in the death seat and start whipping with a round to go!

Hahaha yeah that sure is one horse that would of benefited from the Whip Change Rules !!!  lol..... for sure lol.

Tough bugger though, and a 'lot' of whip use resulted in 16 Group 1 wins. 

18 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Maybe you should change who breaks your horses in or pre-trains them?

IS Still PLENTY of gear on the harness horses these days Chief. Every race Winton, Cambridge anywhere......

It's spose to help with the concentration of your horse. Hardly any horse 'volunteer's' to Win without mental Training.

Is An addition of Winkers to a thoroughbred bad ?? why? It seems so simple.  Waterhouse does it often with her 'Front running Mental Training 'of many of her horses?

24 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

IS Still PLENTY of gear on the harness horses these days Chief. Every race Winton, Cambridge anywhere..

Doesn't mean it's right.  In fact I would say it is a reflection of poor training and education.  Plus a need to get earning money as soon as you can.

Often a gear addition is to remedy a problem that hides another problem - a lugging/boring pole is a classic example.  "If a plain pole doesn't work then put a pricker on it"....