Bit Of A Yarn

BLINKERS! Jammie knows how to 'put em on'!

Thomass

No comments on what I posted earlier Chief. 

Gear changes explained: Advice for punters from three G1-winning stables

Representatives from three Group One-winning stables offered us some professional insights into gear changes, and how to approach them from a punting perspective.

Adjustments to gear are sometimes dismissed as peripheral information to form, barrier number, or jockey but the reality is that they can be crucial in gaining that extra length or two.

We spoke with 2014 Queensland Derby-winning trainer Henry Dwyer, leading Queensland trainer Tony Gollan, and Chris Waller's racing manager Liam Prior.

Gollan is leading the Queensland Metro Trainer Premiership by some 21 wins, while the Waller stable are 42 clear of their nearest rival in the New South Wales Premiership.

_556408b6ad06a_trainers1.jpg

Q1: Which gear change/s have you found to be most effective in getting the best out of a horse?

LP: I don't think you can generalise when it comes to gear adjustments. For instance, a tongue tie on a horse that chokes down or even has a slight wind issue can be very effective. Blinkers are an obvious one but they need to be applied carefully so not to backfire and cause a horse to over-race. Generally, I find removing a piece of gear can be a good indicator, especially gear such as ear muffs or pacifiers. These are used to relax a horse and generally when these come off it means a horse is relaxing in its races and doing the right thing. It is only subtle and doesn't have the same "fire up" traits that blinkers can give a horse.

HD: Traditionally blinkers have the biggest impact on a horse's performance. A typically lazy, laid back horse can improve many lengths with their addition - they seem to stimulate a horse's natural flight response by blocking their peripheral vision and making them guess what's coming behind them rather than see it for themselves. Winkers are also handy for the same reason but allow slightly more vision to the sides, and are better for horses that may overdo it a bit in blinkers but still need switching on a bit. Visors can be okay at times too, which are slightly different to blinkers in there's a slit cut out of each cup allowing the horse a small bit of rearward vision. Not sure on the theory but they can be okay on horses that can tend to miss the start in blinkers.

TG: Blinkers are the obvious one. Going from a horse with no gear that is not quite concentrating to applying a set of blinkers can really sharpen them up and result in significant improvement. For example, he's not one of mine, but the addition of blinkers (first time) to Kuro last time really brought out the best in the horse after a lacklustre run in Sydney at the start prior.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, All The Aces said:

No comments on what I posted earlier Chief. 

Gear changes explained: Advice for punters from three G1-winning stables

Representatives from three Group One-winning stables offered us some professional insights into gear changes, and how to approach them from a punting perspective.

Adjustments to gear are sometimes dismissed as peripheral information to form, barrier number, or jockey but the reality is that they can be crucial in gaining that extra length or two.

We spoke with 2014 Queensland Derby-winning trainer Henry Dwyer, leading Queensland trainer Tony Gollan, and Chris Waller's racing manager Liam Prior.

Gollan is leading the Queensland Metro Trainer Premiership by some 21 wins, while the Waller stable are 42 clear of their nearest rival in the New South Wales Premiership.

_556408b6ad06a_trainers1.jpg

Q1: Which gear change/s have you found to be most effective in getting the best out of a horse?

LP: I don't think you can generalise when it comes to gear adjustments. For instance, a tongue tie on a horse that chokes down or even has a slight wind issue can be very effective. Blinkers are an obvious one but they need to be applied carefully so not to backfire and cause a horse to over-race. Generally, I find removing a piece of gear can be a good indicator, especially gear such as ear muffs or pacifiers. These are used to relax a horse and generally when these come off it means a horse is relaxing in its races and doing the right thing. It is only subtle and doesn't have the same "fire up" traits that blinkers can give a horse.

HD: Traditionally blinkers have the biggest impact on a horse's performance. A typically lazy, laid back horse can improve many lengths with their addition - they seem to stimulate a horse's natural flight response by blocking their peripheral vision and making them guess what's coming behind them rather than see it for themselves. Winkers are also handy for the same reason but allow slightly more vision to the sides, and are better for horses that may overdo it a bit in blinkers but still need switching on a bit. Visors can be okay at times too, which are slightly different to blinkers in there's a slit cut out of each cup allowing the horse a small bit of rearward vision. Not sure on the theory but they can be okay on horses that can tend to miss the start in blinkers.

TG: Blinkers are the obvious one. Going from a horse with no gear that is not quite concentrating to applying a set of blinkers can really sharpen them up and result in significant improvement. For example, he's not one of mine, but the addition of blinkers (first time) to Kuro last time really brought out the best in the horse after a lacklustre run in Sydney at the start prior.

No comments at all.  Certainly not unequivocal statements by any of these trainers.  As I've said before blinkers are often used as a throw of the dice rather than any solid theory.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, nomates said:

Whilst i agree about how weak our racing is now , it has been so for longer than JR has been training , and he has certainly taken TA to another level , i don't believe even D Ellis was expecting the level of success that JR has taken them to . 3 months faster getting to 100 winners than ever before , now sitting on 40 G1's , already 8mil + in stakes for the season . There has been some big and very successful stables in NZ and they haven't achieved this level of success . Even when stakes were better .

Isn't that just an outcome of our racing being so weak though? Take the WFA this week as an example, you could make an argument for 3 or 4 horses being genuine G1 NZ class , there is also an argument none of them are international class? That top layer of horses is also being reflected across the board in NZ and thats why that stables dominance is so prevalent.

As for the having the " cattle " argument , well , Ellis doesn't get every horse he wants and in fact a large proportion of success is from the smaller purchases , Melody Belle , On The Bubbles . Even horses like Brando and Arhilamina weren't at the very top end of the market . 

The quality of animal in that stable is so far beyond anything else in the country at the moment that statistically they are going to be successful , barring any significant bad luck. Have a look what they line up at midweek meetings and couple that with the pool of jockeys they have at their disposal and you'd have to be pretty delusional to not see  why it all comes together.

As for comments regarding MB ,OTB, Brando & Amamerilinha 57.5k,90k,500k & 300k are significant purchases when you're racing in NZ well at least in my humble origins of the sport. Now take a look at what this quality of animal and jockey they are lining up against in NZ ( I think its getting worse as well) and that gives it a bit of context.

Don't get me wrong , i think the TA business model works purely and simply for TA , and owners are just hoping/gambling they get into a good one , but aren't we all . TA has had a lot of spectacular failures from their sales purchases , and we don't really hear about those , but then that is the nature of the game . I know my list of failures is much longer than the successes , and i try not to think about them if i can . 

However as for JR , i do believe we are seeing a young man of extraordinary training ability and will be watching him being successful for many years to come .

The only down side for him tho as my wife says , he's 31 looking 50 , but that comes with the territory i suppose .

Agree and don't get me wrong I think he is an extremely hard worker and deserves his success but it does need to be put in some context. 

Hold the press....

Did someone say both the Blue Diamond and Oz Guineas winners had BO??

Stink..if only some punting form analyst had told me they make a difference....

......especially if they're running to standard time...and the trainer's trialled them..not as a last resort...then GET ON!

The only problem with yesterdays winner was that it was trained by that cheat Paul Preusker...

Him and his partner Holly were outed in '07 for using a JIGGER...

Of course the use of a jigger is usually accompanied by He application of Blinkers...pavlovs dog psyche....

That why cheats like these 2 should have been told to 'go do something else in some other industry...

ANY win by these 2 cheats will have a MASSIVE question mark over them...

Especially with Blinkers added on a massive longshot 

9 minutes ago, Thomass said:

AVANTAGE

Last 7 G 1's in a row with BO...and nearly run down Jammie??

Maybe time to take them off to experiment...obviously hates them now 

Idiot.

They ran 1:34 on a D4!  Callsign Mav sat on her back while she faced the breeze!

She threw in a 10.6 second sectional at the 400m and had them gasping.  

Remind me to remind everyone to not sign up to your "tipping service"!  You can't even read a race!

6 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Idiot.

They ran 1:34 on a D4!  Callsign Mav sat on her back while she faced the breeze!

She threw in a 10.6 second sectional at the 400m and had them gasping.  

Remind me to remind everyone to not sign up to your "tipping service"!  You can't even read a race!

Idiot Wind into her cups?

I woke up on the roadside
Daydreamin' 'bout the way things sometimes are
Visions of your chestnut mare
Shoot through my head and are makin' me see stars
You hurt the ones that I love best
And cover up the truth with lies
One day you'll be in the ditch
Flies buzzin' around your eyes
Blood on your saddle

Just now, Thomass said:

Idiot Wind into her cups?

I woke up on the roadside
Daydreamin' 'bout the way things sometimes are
Visions of your chestnut mare
Shoot through my head and are makin' me see stars
You hurt the ones that I love best
And cover up the truth with lies
One day you'll be in the ditch
Flies buzzin' around your eyes
Blood on your saddle

Are you off your med's again Thomarse?  Or on a drug induced Bob Dylan like trip?

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Spirit Of Baz you beauty.  Good trial on the synthetic and then had no luck at all being trapped off the course at Counties from a wide gate. Been working the track down. The inside barrier today with Blinkers going on and hey presto leads all the way at $40s. 

Thank you for coming. Thank you umpires and thank you ball boys.  We shall now adjourn for celebratory drinks. 

Just a nice little follow up from the last at Riccarton yesterday where they got plenty off Miss Curious when they put the blinkers on for the first time and punted her.  

2 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

You are starting to have a Thomarse modus operandi.  Banging on about your wins AFTER the race.

Well it's a bit premature to celebrate before the race and it would be a waste of time putting it up here beforehand because you and others wouldn't take any notice anyway as the use of blinkers is knocked around here. I did my study on Spirit Of Baz and reaped the rewards for doing so. As stated previously I don't tip and why should I when others are able to study the form themselves. My study is for myself not for everybody else.               

30 minutes ago, All The Aces said:

SPIRIT OF BAZ (W Pinn) – When questioned regarding the improved performance co-trainer A Forsman advised that the filly had benefitted from the addition of blinkers. 

Who would have guessed!!   

Don't worry , Chief will be cheering loud for Probabeel and Trainer Jamie Richards tomorrow in the BIG one, Blinkers and all. lol....

10 hours ago, All The Aces said:

SPIRIT OF BAZ (W Pinn) – When questioned regarding the improved performance co-trainer A Forsman advised that the filly had benefitted from the addition of blinkers. 

Who would have guessed!!   

Why did it take so long for Forsman to "guess"?  I guess because he was only guessing.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, All The Aces said:

Spirit Of Baz you beauty.  Good trial on the synthetic and then had no luck at all being trapped off the course at Counties from a wide gate. Been working the track down. The inside barrier today with Blinkers going on and hey presto leads all the way at $40s. 

Thank you for coming. Thank you umpires and thank you ball boys.  We shall now adjourn for celebratory drinks. 

Just a nice little follow up from the last at Riccarton yesterday where they got plenty off Miss Curious when they put the blinkers on for the first time and punted her.  

Onya ATA!

You even got it right when you left out LINESMEN...They're Gonnnne!!

What were the stats for MC....27 times without BO?  Stink training if they've only wacked them on now!

But cereally....if a neddy is running to standard class time...and we ALL know this is THE greatest gear change...

Why wouldn't you factor in a VALUE component and activate that when a standard time runner is at...VALUE

The only algorithm to work out is the VALUE

And 40's is O for Oarsome value...after you'd taken due diligence 

Anything other weird thinking is counterintuitive isn't it?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Why did it take so long for Forsman to "guess"?  I guess because he was only guessing.

3 rd start is hardly 'guessing' Mcduff

Like Jammie...Muzza is a master class Blinker devotee...they must go to the same shocking Breaker??

Lets see...which Blinker wearer wins today?

AVANTAGE or Da BELLE?

17 minutes ago, Thomass said:

Why wouldn't you factor in a VALUE component and activate that when a standard time runner is at...VALUE

The only algorithm to work out is the VALUE

How do you VALUE something when you don't know until after the race if the SOMETHING works?  Subsequently any educated form analyst would only rate a horse on what they know.  If the PRICE shows value relative to your assessment of that price then you back it.  Blinkers, ear muffs, tongue ties, even barrier draws make no difference to that assessment.

4 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

So how will it go the second time with blinkers?  As good as the first time?

Or as good as the time it won with no blinkers?

Who cares!!  We got the money today that's all that matters. 

It was mentioned after the race at Hastings that she needed ground and blinkers would help.  

Did you notice that the three G1 races at Ellerslie today all the winners wore blinkers.  

Seven of the ten winners at Ellerslie wore blinkers with another wearing side winkers. 

Did you see what the difference was when Finest Wine destroyed them at Trentham today.   In case you didn't blinkers on for the first time.  

9 minutes ago, All The Aces said:

Did you notice that the three G1 races at Ellerslie today all the winners wore blinkers.  

Seven of the ten winners at Ellerslie wore blinkers with another wearing side winkers. 

Did you see what the difference was when Finest Wine destroyed them at Trentham today.   In case you didn't blinkers on for the first time.  

Are you saying all horses should wear them?