Bit Of A Yarn

Blinkers or No Blinkers - who were the best horses that wore them or didn't wear them?

Chief Stipe

22 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Northerly

Check out 2001 Cox Plate Chief. NORTHERLY with the master former Harness racing Trainer Fred Kersley .

Popped the Blinkers on to run down the amazing NZ Champion Sunline. 

What a stunning piece of Mental training !!!! and great use of Blinkers.

(p.s Fred threw them winkers off in 2002 Cox Plate, and again ran down Sunline (4th) , hahaha so you win too lol)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Check out 2001 Cox Plate Chief. NORTHERLY with the master former Harness racing Trainer Fred Kersley .

Popped the Blinkers on to run down the amazing NZ Champion Sunline. 

What a stunning piece of Mental training !!!! and great use of Blinkers.

(p.s Fred threw them winkers off in 2002 Cox Plate, and again ran down Sunline (4th) , hahaha so you win too lol)

Only proves there is no rhyme or reason to using them let alone working out BEFORE a race if they are going to make a difference.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Only proves there is no rhyme or reason to using them let alone working out BEFORE a race if they are going to make a difference.

Yes pretty clear cut reason. 'Anything' that helps (that is legal) you to WIN is the whole Rhyme. Before ,during and after a race. Blinkers are proven to be a great 'anything' at times. Blue Diamond last week-end?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Yes pretty clear cut reason. 'Anything' that helps (that is legal) you to WIN is the whole Rhyme. Before ,during and after a race. Blinkers are proven to be a great 'anything' at times. Blue Diamond last week-end?

Gamma you'll NEVER win ANY argument with this bloke....

Even if he hears the Blue Diamond winner improved 5L according to the FBI...

He'll say it was the rocket up its ass...

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, nomates said:

Well , Lunar Fox , very poor in the Gns prelude , so on go the blinkers and would you believe it gets up and wins the G1 Australian Gns , Jock said he was much more on his game out of the barriers . 14 length turn around on Tangaloa . 

Good on the connections .

So you and Thomas were the only ones that backed it?  From the Trainer's comments it was a throw of the dice with regard to the blinkers as they couldn't find any reason for its last start failure.

Dont forget that it was found to have bled two starts back after a post-race vet exam was undertaken.

Also that it raced previously in winkers.

5 minutes ago, nomates said:

I was just pointing the result out . Wasn't looking for analysis . 

Something turned him around , if only he could tell us .

I doubt it was the blinkers.  Hasn't shown any form since his Sires Produce win.  Winkers on, winkers off, blinkers, bled...I have doubts he'll go on with it.  

Aeogon would eat him.

23 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Aeogon would eat him

Aegon would eat him , that i agree with .

24 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

I doubt it was the blinkers.  Hasn't shown any form since his Sires Produce win.  Winkers on, winkers off, blinkers, bled...I have doubts he'll go on with it.  

Perhaps the change of trainer and environment has helped , and a run under his belt .

excellent effort by the F4 in the Darley Blamey Stakes GROUP 2 the race before the guineas as well. 

Star of the Seas, Fifty Stars, Buffalo River, Best of Days....Waller, Hayes/Dab,Moroney and Godolphin

ALL in Big bright Blinkers, Pretty good trainers , know if blinkers helping the concentration or not, and a $279 F4.

40 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

excellent effort by the F4 in the Darley Blamey Stakes GROUP 2 the race before the guineas as well. 

Star of the Seas, Fifty Stars, Buffalo River, Best of Days....Waller, Hayes/Dab,Moroney and Godolphin

ALL in Big bright Blinkers, Pretty good trainers , know if blinkers helping the concentration or not, and a $279 F4.

How about the Guineas First4 , wow!

1 hour ago, Gammalite said:

Which you didn't get.  Blinkers or no blinkers I doubt even you would have backed Lunar Fox.

14 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Which you didn't get.  Blinkers or no blinkers I doubt even you would have backed Lunar Fox.

No, alas he cost me, as would of got something with the Cherry Tortoni. who was my Guinea's selection.

BUT I do love an omen bet. Daughter came to visit her dog today , which lives here after she moved out to share house with Buddies. His name is LEO . So yes we did back Leo in the first race at Sydney. so that was good.

and daughter asked LEO ( a pomeranian cross who looks like a Fox )  was acting funny and weird , and was it because of the Full Moon last night ,we had in QLD?  should of been right on to LUNAR FOX after that lol....... didn't

DSC02099.JPG

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, All The Aces said:

Chief. Are you in denial that blinkers can have a positive effect on a horse? 

Of course not.  I don't like them though.  Certainly when assessing a horses chances from a punting perspective I wouldn't consider them.  Many trainers have no idea what reaction they will achieve when putting them on a horse.  Their use has increased as time pressure and training standards have decreased.  

Surely the fact that one of the best Grp 1 blanket finishes EVER yesterday occurred in the Chipping Norton where none of the first five under a blanket at the finish wore them!