Bit Of A Yarn

Farcical Harness Whip Rules - you get punished whatever you do!

The current whip rules are a crock of shyte.  Take these two examples from last week.  Jessica Young-Grant gets smacked a $400 fine at Waikouaiti in the 28th February for failing to driver her horse out in the last 40m and finished 5th.  According to the Stipes if she had driven her horse our she MIGHT have finished FOURTH!  Jessica basically said the horse had had enough.

Same meeting Ms P Wakelin gets a $200 fine for "using her whip in more than a wrist flicking action."  Whatever the hell "wrist flicking" means.  Stipe Mr N McIntyre seems to be very much up to speed with "wrist flicking" actions - the mind boggles.  He said her "wrist flicking was clearly excessive".  FFS.

This J Young-Grant fine to me is harsh. If I was hit with say a parking fine & it was $400. 400 smackeroos I’d be thinking dam dat a big one.

With her stating in her opinion, “he was doing his best and had nothing left”, wonder where the animal welfare consideration was regarding that in handing out penalty.

On a similar but different note when I read rules recently it states that one has to ride a horse out if it has reasonable chance of placing up to 5th. It used to be 6th. But was amended. Wonder if it needs to be reviewed again. I don’t know about this 5th place thing.

Isn’t it better to drop a point and finish 6th than 5th, with such minimal 5th place stake difference compared to the others - excluded the higher stake races.

49 minutes ago, Roman said:

It is bizarre, if they can sting you for a fine they will find a way.

If Jessica had of gone in and said I've hit it 10 times and it wasnt responding to the urges, would she have still recieved the fine?

Depends if you "flicked your wrist" the wrong way!

18 minutes ago, the galah said:

Both the cases you referred to noodlum admitted the charges,so they must have accepted they had infringed.

Geez Galah aren't you up with JCA "justice"?  If you plead not guilty you end up getting pinged for more if found guilty!  Not only that you run the risk of having a vendetta against you.

How do you defend something that is entirely subjective in interpretation?  Jessica said her horse was finished and would have run 5th regardless if she had hit it anymore.  Why flog a dead tired horse?  She admitted she stopped "driving it out" (a euphemism for whipping a horse).  Rue the day we have first 5 betting!

19 minutes ago, Karrots said:

On a similar but different note when I read rules recently it states that one has to ride a horse out if it has reasonable chance of placing up to 5th. It used to be 6th. But was amended. Wonder if it needs to be reviewed again. I don’t know about this 5th place thing.

It wasn't about finishing 5th it was whether or not the horse would have finished 4th.  I guess they perused the F4 betting records to see if there were any anomalies!

2 minutes ago, Noodlum said:

It wasn't about finishing 5th it was whether or not the horse would have finished 4th.  I guess they perused the F4 betting records to see if there were any anomalies!

Understand that, which is why I said on a different note 😄

1 hour ago, Noodlum said:

Stipe Mr N McIntyre seems to be very much up to speed with "wrist flicking" actions - the mind boggles.  He said her "wrist flicking was clearly excessive".  FFS.

i wonder if this is the same n mcintyre that is a close associate of former riu employee ross neal

23 minutes ago, Noodlum said:

Geez Galah aren't you up with JCA "justice"?  If you plead not guilty you end up getting pinged for more if found guilty!  Not only that you run the risk of having a vendetta against you.

How do you defend something that is entirely subjective in interpretation?  Jessica said her horse was finished and would have run 5th regardless if she had hit it anymore.  Why flog a dead tired horse?  She admitted she stopped "driving it out" (a euphemism for whipping a horse).  Rue the day we have first 5 betting!

I just thought p wakelin's case was clear cut,thats why she admitted it. And with  j young-grant it looked like it made little difference,but we will never know as she didn't drive it out the last 25m.  And thats why she admitted it.  I get that it is a rule where there seems there may be a bit of inconsistency around penalties.

19 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

i wonder if this is the same n mcintyre that is a close associate of former riu employee ross neal

Is this topic about personalities or the whip rule.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1