Bit Of A Yarn

Graeme Rogerson twice as good

How good is this bloke at being involved with Training all sorts of horses.

The first race at Alexandra park tonight sees GAZ MAN trot to victory. The colours looking familiar. 

The colours Carried to Victory in the 2004 W.S.Cox plate (pictured) by a three year old SAVABEEL(by champ NZ sire Zabeel) 

The Cox Plate being the Feature WFA race on the Australian racing calender worth millions.

Now Graeme winning trots at Alexandra Park , well that is ultra impressive !!!  Twice as much as what most trainers ever achieve.

I guess quite a few know of this already , but still worth a re-boot for some like Karrots new to the caper. What a life accomplishment ! quite unique Graeme !!

ridden by a little star jockey from QLD too. Chris Munce. 

Cox Plate Race Day : News Photo

• Like 3

Forgot to mention , Savabeel's daughter is in tomorrow and is going around at this very racecourse. (Moonee Valley)

The multi Million dollar All Star Mile.

PROBABEEL for NZ !! complete with Blinkers like her dad (and Fields of Omagh shown running 2nd to Savabeel above, and was the 2003 and 2006 W.S. Cox plate winner)

bursting to Victory for New Zealand and Jamie Richards .!!  Go you Good Thing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Gammalite
add word
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gammalite said:

How good is this bloke at being involved with Training all sorts of horses.

The first race at Alexandra park tonight sees GAZ MAN trot to victory. The colours looking familiar. 

The colours Carried to Victory in the 2004 W.S.Cox plate (pictured) by a three year old SAVABEEL(by champ NZ sire Zabeel) 

The Cox Plate being the Feature WFA race on the Australian racing calender worth millions.

Now Graeme winning trots at Alexandra Park , well that is ultra impressive !!!  Twice as much as what most trainers ever achieve.

lord zirito

2 GN Hurdles @ 1 Wellington Steeplechase and 18 other races

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

lord zirito

2 GN Hurdles @ 1 Wellington Steeplechase and 18 other races

What the ........  over fences as well ?  that is amazing. how does he do it.

I say give him the NZ Polocrosse Team as well , and then prepare for victory.!  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Does Rogerson actually has much to do with the standardbreds?

Isnt it Dylan Ferguson that actually does the training and Rogerson just collects the training fees?

Good point. Would be unlikely he is sitting in the gig at any point ,probably doing the owner liaison work.

Very unusual for standardbred trainers though . I would think upwards of 90% are getting in the gig.

Thoroughbred trainers = only a very small percentage jumping on the back of the animal for a bit of work.

• Like 2

Probably get castigated by some for saying this but anyone can train a galloper!

What do the galloping trainers actually do?

They have staff that muck out the stables, they have jockeys and track work riders who jump on and work the horses!

Yes they will tell the riders what he wants timewise, but on the face  of it, not that difficult to chuck a saddle on!

Has Graeme Rogerson ever been in the cart does anyone know??

• Champ Post 1
  • Bad Post 2

8 hours ago, Brodie said:

Probably get castigated by some for saying this but anyone can train a galloper!

What do the galloping trainers actually do?

They have staff that muck out the stables, they have jockeys and track work riders who jump on and work the horses!

Yes they will tell the riders what he wants timewise, but on the face  of it, not that difficult to chuck a saddle on!

Has Graeme Rogerson ever been in the cart does anyone know??

Probaly the stupidest comment you have ever made in  this racing site. There is quite a bit more involved then just chucking a saddle on a horse and let it run around in circles.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Bad Post 1

1 hour ago, theshu said:

Probaly the stupidest comment you have ever made in  this racing site. There is quite a bit more involved then just chucking a saddle on a horse and let it run around in circles.

he is a hall of famer when it comes to stupid comments

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Rangatira said:

pretty sure i have seen a photo of him in the cart

may well have been in an article regarding his little dabble into harness racing a bit over 10 years ago

Rogie got tipped out of the cart at the Pirongia picnic meeting a few years ago and solemly declared "thats the last time I do this".      He has upheld his "threat" since - mind you I dont know whether he has a jaunt around his track at home!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, theshu said:

OK Shu, what are all these extra things that a galloping trainer needs to do?

Many galloping trainers have never been jockeys, what are all these attributes that a galloping trainer needs to show to be able to bet a trainers license????

I would say that almost all harness trainers have had a harness drivers license before they get a trainers license!

Shu, I knew some would bite, but most harness trainers would probably agree with Brodie!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, eljay said:

Rogie got tipped out of the cart at the Pirongia picnic meeting a few years ago and solemly declared "thats the last time I do this".      He has upheld his "threat" since - mind you I dont know whether he has a jaunt around his track at home!

Was Rogerson ever a jockey?

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, theshu said:

Stand by what i have said. The stupidest comment ever .Basically Brodie has bagged every galloping horse trainer to ever have had a licence.  I will not reply to this egomaniac.

Shu, where have I bagged every galloping trainer?

The point I have made is that on  the face of it, it is far easier to be a galloping trainer than a harness trainer!

I am still waiting for your all the things that a galloping trainer does!!

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Brodie said:

The point I have made is that on  the face of it, it is far easier to be a galloping trainer than a harness trainer!

So sitting in a sulky 5 days a week jogging your horse round and round and round the track is a lot harder than instructing someone who 90% of the time can't follow instructions to trackwork your horse while you watch through binoculars from a distance?  

• Champ Post 1

27 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

So sitting in a sulky 5 days a week jogging your horse round and round and round the track is a lot harder than instructing someone who 90% of the time can't follow instructions to trackwork your horse while you watch through binoculars from a distance?  

Chief,  on the face of it there is a heck of a lot more to training a standardbred than a thoroughbred!

A galloping action is a natural gait so is not needed to be taught to the horse.

They can either gallop or they can’t.

They throw a saddle on them and get someone to ride them.

Pacing and trotting is not as easy a  gait for horses so is therefore harder to train.

They require far more gear and more trial and error.

Never had a license of either code, however training a galloper certainly appears not that difficult.

They can either gallop fast or they cant!!

Not too sure why thoroughbred trainers charge more for training than harness?

Edited by Brodie
  • Champ Post 3

2 hours ago, Brodie said:

Shu, where have I bagged every galloping trainer?

I can speak from the coal face. having worked at 6 harness stables and 1 thoroughbred stable (for just a few months) during my term with horses before vet.

The gallops trainer in Aus (and his son) were total pricks and Far More Likely to just 'crack the whip' on the staff than go near any hands on work with the horses. which was all but zero. Couldn't imagine them trying to shoe one ? hahahaha perish the thought. They NEVER touched a horse and were even awful the way they talk to you.

more likely to be sucking up to the La-De Da owners (that you never saw either).

However,

ALL the harness trainers (3 in NZ , 3 in Aus) were all the most humble professional horseman, ALL could break in , shoe them, drive the horse truck even, drive the race, and were also kind , generous folk and who ALL could do ALL the work with their horses if required, including shoe,feed,treat, swim, vet, brush and even do their teeth. 

• Champ Post 2

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

Chief,  on the face of it there is a heck of a lot more to training a standardbred than a thoroughbred!

A galloping action is a natural gait so is not needed to be taught to the horse.

They can either gallop or they can’t.

They throw a saddle on them and get someone to ride them.

Pacing and trotting is not as easy a  gait for horses so is therefore harder to train.

They require far more gear and more trial and error.

Never had a license of either code, however training a galloper certainly appears not that difficult.

They can either gallop fast or they cant!!

I can think of many costs that are different and more expensive.  For a start every time you step a Thoroughbred out on the track at a Training Centre they clip the ticket for the privilege of often running on a crap track.  I doesn't take much to provide a circuit to train a Standardbred on. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brodie said:

track fees where they train are quite high as Chief says. At Doomben and Eagle Farm the Trainer is able to go to just one of those where he is paying for a certain amount of horses each day. they are quite strict on numbers and times. (thank goodness harness trainers nearly all train at daybreak, instead of in the Dark)

But mainly the Race Stakemoney a gallops trainer can earn for owner is WAY More than the trots , so they can charge that bit more in training Fees, as the owner returns will be higher from those thoroughbred races.