Bit Of A Yarn

Aussie Stakemoney

Just  looking up galloping  websites in Aussie yesterday and the stake money there is phenomenal.  Min weekend metropolitan stakes seems to be around 140k per race.   Then a tighter class  race is 350k upwards on a seemingly average race day. Even in Bendigo the stakes were 35k per race.

My question is where does the money come from to fund that level of stakes?   Seems to be much higher than either USA or UK

It would be great if Harness could tap into funds like that.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, With A Dream said:

Just  looking up galloping  websites in Aussie yesterday and the stake money there is phenomenal.  Min weekend metropolitan stakes seems to be around 140k per race.   Then a tighter class  race is 350k upwards on a seemingly average race day. Even in Bendigo the stakes were 35k per race.

My question is where does the money come from to fund that level of stakes?   Seems to be much higher than either USA or UK

It would be great if Harness could tap into funds like that.

Galloping is popular in Australia. Most metropolitan tracks get good crowds and substantial betting. The thing I like about most about Australian racing are the tracks. Flemington and Randwick are outstanding, the grass tracks are as well maintained as a bowling green. Flat, green, spacious... it's embarrassing in comparison to the likes of the cow paddocks we have to race on at Motukarara or Rangiora!

• Like 1

Bigger population,better weather,speaks for itself,we just have to accept that with racing Aussie is number 1,probably in the world.

We have wee period from Xmas to about Easter where we are at our peak,but nz is always going to be running a poor second but that's life

I don't watch trackside much but sometimes midweek there is some very average stuff from oz too but stakes just seem to hold up, I think they simply have a racing culture, not so in nz.

Edited by mikeynz
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...
20 hours ago, paleface adios said:

you kiwis are racing for piss poor stake money lol great money we put up last night in Queensland.  

Paleface, you are correct the stake money for harness racing has gone backwards hugely compared to Australia,

Horses are able to be place much easier and there is little prospect of things improving in NEW ZEALAND with the decisions being made by hierarchy.

Hopefully things can be maintained here as harness racing is an exciting industry when things were going well here.

There have been  many decisions made that has been detrimental to racing and I can see many participants pull stumps in the next few years!

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1