NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Now they tell us ...

Weasel

Reported by NZ Racing Desk this morning

Subject: Andrew Campbell, trainer, winning yesterday with Padraig, ending a "horror run" over the last year.

"The Cambridge trainer has endured a frustrating year with a virus affecting the majority of his runners."

Q: Did punters have this information at any time before yesterday?

Q: Are there any rules requiring trainers to report such circumstances, as and when they occur, to NZTR?

Q: If there are rules, where is such information accessible to followers of the industry, including (but not only) punters?

15 minutes ago, barryb said:

Like Thomass, what difference would it have made to you?.

Padraig spanked them in a trial by 5 lengths, a sure sign it was fit and ready to put in a big one yesterday.

Thought Weasel has valid point. Everyone has different ways on how they select horses to bet on. Surely this info is just as important as gear changes, which we are informed of. 

• Champ Post 1

31 minutes ago, barryb said:

The question though Newmarket is what difference would it have made?

Would you have not bet any of his runners in the last 12 months?

Ive not looked at trainers record last 12 months, but trainer stated he had a horror year, so I assume he battled a bit? 

Would it alter my betting if I knew virus in stable, most likely. 

• Like 1

You would be mad if you didn't take a virus into consideration when betting......unless of course you didn't know.

Why were horses allowed to compete, did virus get spread?

Everyone in the game can tell you what effect a virus can have in a stable....

• Like 2

Quite often in the stipes report you see "the trainer will be monitoring the horse and report back to the stipes"

That covers several situations including coughing, mucus, heart vilberations, lameness etc ?? On occasions the horses is ordered back to the trials but races next without the trial. Seemingly the stipes have been given an exhibition gallop.

Yet hardly ever does this information get relayed by the stipes even in this age where the stipes actually try to be open.

So lets start with the stipes.

• Like 1

On 24/06/2018 at 8:59 AM, Weasel said:

Reported by NZ Racing Desk this morning

Subject: Andrew Campbell, trainer, winning yesterday with Padraig, ending a "horror run" over the last year.

"The Cambridge trainer has endured a frustrating year with a virus affecting the majority of his runners."

Q: Did punters have this information at any time before yesterday?

Q: Are there any rules requiring trainers to report such circumstances, as and when they occur, to NZTR?

Q: If there are rules, where is such information accessible to followers of the industry, including (but not only) punters?

Campbell reported this fact in a Popps interview a few months back...

There is a rule though

"report ANYTHING that may affect the performance of a neddy"

Now that doesnt mean b/s like getting a fright from a stable rat who ran out and went boo

It means set backs,  like missing work through injuries...

Austrwlian Stipes are very pro active in tweeting  info like this

...ours don't give a sheet...

More operations such as wind surgeries are now showing up in PDF form guides...from the TAB for free..which are dealt with via a brief Stipe report in a form line

...they should be tweeted as well though...the young punter hasn't got time to read extensive form guides...

But our Stipes are very ignorant when it comes to the modern day young punter...

23 hours ago, mardigras said:

Thought it would be more important to know if the trainer has been starting horses that are known to have a virus - if that was the case. Are you suggesting the trainer actually started horses known to have a virus?

Seriously...you have no idea

Only dickheads would do or suggest that...actually not even dickhead Trainers would start a sick horse

Its about horses having got over an illness...supposedly...but it's form still being affected by a virus having PASSED through a stable..

It could be Campbell, having shifted to a new area in Cambridge...had his horse's exposed to new viruses that his stock had little immunity to...

18 minutes ago, Thomass said:

Campbell reported this fact in a Popps interview a few months back...

There is a rule though

"report ANYTHING that may affect the performance of a neddy"

Now that doesnt mean b/s like getting a fright from a stable rat who ran out and went boo

It means set backs,  like missing work through injuries...

Austrwlian Stipes are very pro active in tweeting  info like this

...ours don't give a sheet...

More operations such as wind surgeries are now showing up in PDF form guides...from the TAB for free..which are dealt with via a brief Stipe report in a form line

...they should be tweeted as well though...the young punter hasn't got time to read extensive form guides...

But our Stipes are very ignorant when it comes to the modern day young punter...

I think it was NZTR, did some consumer research a few years ago, probably what's called a Usage and Attitude survey, about why people did or did not bet on horses.

One of the things that came through, was that people did not bet on horses, because they felt they were at a disadvantage compared with people in the industry, in terms of availability of information.

How often do we read after a horse has won at longer odds usually, the full story of why.

• Champ Post 1

8 minutes ago, hesi said:

I think it was NZTR, did some consumer research a few years ago, probably what's called a Usage and Attitude survey, about why people did or did not bet on horses.

One of the things that came through, was that people did not bet on horses, because they felt they were at a disadvantage compared with people in the industry, in terms of availability of information.

How often do we read after a horse has won at longer odds usually, the full story of why.

That makes a whole lotta sense...

Trainers telling us post race "we rode it upside down to make it settle"

...Oz Punters get this info...and WALLER is big on reporting this...and really early

He knows punting information is critical...or he'd be racing for ribbons

We're getting better but the suits are oh so SLOW 

This wasn't the research I was referring to, but I'll post it anyway out of interest

2014-18 NZTR Strategic Plan

NZTR market RESEARCH HAS IDENTIFIED THOROUGHBRED RACING’S SIGNIFICANT CHALLENGES INCLUDing:

‘New Zealand’s lack of scale limits financial resources necessitating tough choices’ ‘

94% of New Zealanders do not see Thoroughbred racing as ‘relevant’’ ‘

Fragmentation of the industry has resulted in a lack of direction’ ‘

The industry has been resistant to change and now there is a generation gap in engagement’ ‘

There is a lack of focus on the customer’ ‘

Infrastructure is run down and requires investment’ ‘

There is a lack of marketing direction and inconsistency in quality and messaging’ ‘

The on-course experience lacks innovation’

1 hour ago, Thomass said:

Seriously...you have no idea

Only dickheads would do or suggest that...actually not even dickhead Trainers would start a sick horse

Its about horses having got over an illness...supposedly...but it's form still being affected by a virus having PASSED through a stable..

It could be Campbell, having shifted to a new area in Cambridge...had his horse's exposed to new viruses that his stock had little immunity to...

Funny, I thought you trusted the trainer and they wouldn't start a horse that was still affected by the virus. I certainly couldn't care whether a horse had had a virus. If it's starting, that suggests it is ready to race and is no longer unwell nor its form affected by the virus. Seems you don't trust the trainer after all.

Edited by mardigras

3 minutes ago, mardigras said:

Funny, I thought you trusted the trainer and they wouldn't start a horse that was still affected by the virus. I certainly couldn't care whether a horse had had a virus. If it's starting, that suggests it is ready to race and is no longer unwell nor its form affected by the virus. Seems you don't trust the trainer after all.

But you're not a horseman's ass...

Sometimes a 'horseman' just can't tell if a neddy's totally recovered either...

...only a decent spell can correct natures cruel dealt hand...

Sometimes you just can't trust a trainer...

...like deciding to turn tactics upside down...and not informing Punters 

Only naive Punters trust Trainers 24/7

4 minutes ago, Thomass said:

But you're not a horseman's ass...

Sometimes a 'horseman' just can't tell if a neddy's totally recovered either...

...only a decent spell can correct natures cruel dealt hand...

Sometimes you just can

Only naive Punters trust Trainers 24/7

I trust they don't bring an unfit, unwell horse to the races. If the stable had had a virus, I'd still trust that to be the case. When they win, you'll miss out cos you think the horse isn't ready - like the recent winner. 

As I said you're not a horseman's ass

Sometimes bloods, training knowledge etc. won't tell a serious'horseman' anything ultimately..

...it's when the pressure comes on in an actual race the passing virus shows the effect it's had on the horse...

One of the most useful tools a trainer has is blood counts meaning a poor reading can mean virus i.e. white cells versus red cells. Therefore blood tests are something definitive not speculation and could be reported. It would mean the club subsidizing the costs of authentic blood tests so trainers would be more willing to cooperate.