Bit Of A Yarn

Should Riccarton be put on notice regarding shifting the Guineas unless improvements are made to the track?

Chief Stipe

2 hours ago, nomates said:

Interesting , Riccarton posting a G3 at scratching time this morning , be interesting to see which part of the track will be used today and how much dust will be kicked back .

I'll give you a ( subjective ) report when I get home.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, nomates said:

Might back a few Pitman runners seeing as they went great last time there was a G3 .

Well he's started the right way , have to say that was one of the nicest rides i have seen down there for a long time , well done KC , keep it up Mr Pitman .

39 minutes ago, nomates said:

So same as last time it was a G3 , jocks don't want a bar of the inside , strange i always thought on a G3 the rails was the best place to be , go figure .

You'll find that the ground on the inside will break up and be shifty.

21 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

You'll find that the ground on the inside will break up and be shifty.

Yea , appeared to happen straight after the first race , jocks didn't want a bar of it in the 2nd , might have change a couple of my later selections now .

On 8/05/2021 at 2:36 PM, Freda said:

Jocks I spoke to reckoned track fair with a nice bit of give.

Well done, however that happened. 

Rail 4m out so shouldn't have been tricky on the 'fence '.

So, I walked twice round the track and up the chute looking for a lost plate on Sunday.  The chute was very good,  junction harder and quite rough, the rest of the track not too bad;  but on the fence esp down the straight, like a ploughed paddock.    So the riders weren't too far wrong by getting off the rail.

Didn't find the plate either, although a couple of observers reckoned they could see it fly about at the junction.

1 hour ago, Freda said:

So, I walked twice round the track and up the chute looking for a lost plate on Sunday.  The chute was very good,  junction harder and quite rough, the rest of the track not too bad;  but on the fence esp down the straight, like a ploughed paddock.    So the riders weren't too far wrong by getting off the rail.

Didn't find the plate either, although a couple of observers reckoned they could see it fly about at the junction.

In a word - inconsistent.  I could say stuffed but won't.

I await with bated breath an announcement from Tim Mills, CEO Riccarton Park, regarding the timeline to renovate the main turf surface. 

Followed by a media statement from Mr Michael Pitman saying that such renovation was long overdue and it is positive news for the future of premier racing in the South Island.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

I await with bated breath an announcement from Tim Mills, CEO Riccarton Park, regarding the timeline to renovate the main turf surface. 

Followed by a media statement from Mr Michael Pitman saying that such renovation was long overdue and it is positive news for the future of premier racing in the South Island.

One only needs to look at the progress in building the AWT and the new galloping grass training track (bonus) to realise there are plenty of positives happening at Riccarton, much to some peoples angst.😘👍🏇🍷

14 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

New track, new water system, new drainage, less water drift and AWF. Right got all that solved! onto more stakes! 

9 hours ago, Pitman said:

One only needs to look at the progress in building the AWT and the new galloping grass training track (bonus) to realise there are plenty of positives happening at Riccarton, much to some peoples angst.😘👍🏇🍷

Yes it's turning into a nice little private training establishment for you.

No angst here but when is your main turf track going to be renovated?

Fix it or lose those Guineas races.

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

Yes it's turning into a nice little private training establishment for you.

No angst here but when is your main turf track going to be renovated?

Fix it or lose those Guineas races.

It sure is we will have fantastic training facilities ( only 250 - 300 horses) swimming pool, beach close to facilities, approx. 30+ meetings a year, trials/jump outs on a regular basis. Very little travel, oh it’s going to be great!!!

No angst, you’re the biggest moaning critic of all can you show me your last positive posting!!!!

Riccarton not a great Winter track but come summer time when it’s firm best track in NZ

The Guineas are safe at Riccarton that has already been established

Make sure you watch Cambridge our track here will be bigger and better, you beauty!!!!!!

AND we will also have a new grass training/galloping track as a bonus, bring it on really looking forward to our new upgraded modern facilities, YES

ALSO,  Don’t forget stake increases are on their way

Edited by Pitman

2 minutes ago, Pitman said:

It sure is we will have fantastic training facilities ( only 250 - 300 horses) swimming pool, beach close to facilities, approx. 30+ meetings a year, trials/jump outs on a regular basis. Very little travel, oh it’s going to be great!!!

You're a dreamer Pitty.

3 minutes ago, Pitman said:

The Guineas are safe at Riccarton that has already been established

Not if you produce another shit track like you did last October.  Or are going to lobby for the Guineas to be moved to the AWT?

Actually when was the last time Riccarton produced a decent turf surface?

7 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

You're a dreamer Pitty.

You are right, I am a dreamer, have been all my life. Dreamed a lot of things, BUT, it’s great when those dreams turn in to realities (as Tony Lee once said).

My previous posting are all facts

You may not like being told this but no need to get personal because it’s not what you want to be told but those are the facts this is happening sooner than you want it to be

6 minutes ago, Pitman said:

You may not like being told this but no need to get personal because it’s not what you want to be told but those are the facts this is happening sooner than you want it to be

It's nothing to do with "how soon it's happening"!

Where is the business case?

Where is the revenue coming from to maintain these new expensive assets?

FFS Riccarton doesn't make enough money to maintain and renovate its main turf track as it is!

What's the point of Flash shiny new assets if you have a shit turf track to race on?

Now you are either delusional or worse if you believe you have a great turf track.

1 minute ago, Chief Stipe said:

It's nothing to do with "how soon it's happening"!

Where is the business case?

Where is the revenue coming from to maintain these new expensive assets?

FFS Riccarton doesn't make enough money to maintain and renovate its main turf track as it is!

What's the point of Flash shiny new assets if you have a shit turf track to race on?

Now you are either delusional or worse if you believe you have a great turf track.

Probably delusional!!

BUT we don’t have too many issues with racing at Riccarton with 29 winners and many placings (including placings in both Gp1 Guineas races) this season we are ok with how the track has been

Always remember “Winners are grinners”

When did you last have a winner, with your constant negativity I guess it was a long time ago

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pitman said:

Probably delusional!!

BUT we don’t have too many issues with racing at Riccarton with 29 winners and many placings (including placings in both Gp1 Guineas races) this season we are ok with how the track has been

Well maybe some Trainers have higher standards regarding what constitutes a consistent and safe racing surface.

18 minutes ago, Pitman said:

When did you last have a winner, with your constant negativity I guess it was a long time ago

What is the relevance of that statement?  

I have a 100% winning owning and breeding record I.e. every horse I've owned or bred has won a race.  The last horse I selected to have a share in was On The Bubbles but I pulled out.

Why?

My last horse was a reality check for a lot of reasons.  When a good gelding can return a stakes cheque every start, win five races and it still costs the owner money then the grinning stops pretty quickly.

Then when you see the colossal waste of money in the NZ industry and capital investment based on no apparent business case along with the closing down of perfectly good racing tracks while nothing is done to fix the Premier Turf tracks..... well you spend your Saturday's doing other stuff while waiting for the great racing from OZ to kick in mid-afternoon.

Pitty I'm sick of seeing clouds of dust and dirt clods at our Premier tracks and river of mud when it is wet.  As an owner I made a point of walking the tracks that my horses raced on and quite frankly I was shocked to see their condition.  I know enough about turf culture having studied it at Lincoln College to know the problem isn't caused by irrigation.

AWT racing does not interest me - it is boring and asethically an insult to those of us who love watching horses gallop across a green paddock.

Until the issues that I see are addressed I won't be racing another horse in NZ.

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1