Bit Of A Yarn

One of the World's top trainers doesn't really know if Blinkers will work on one of the World's top horses! Who would've thought?!

Chief Stipe

Addeybb to wear blinkers in Queen Elizabeth

Addeybb to wear blinkers in Queen Elizabeth
Jockey Tom Marquand drives Addeybb to a decisive victory in the 2020 Queen Elizabeth Stakes. Photo: AAP Image/Dan Himbrechts
Ray Thomas
14 Comments

Addeybb will wear blinkers for the first time in an endeavour to find the extra edge he needs to win a second successive $4 million Longines Queen Elizabeth Stakes (2000m) at Royal Randwick on Saturday.

English jockey Tom Marquand conceded Addeybb was “a touch below par” when beaten by arch rival Verry Elleegant in the Ranvet Stakes which has prompted the gear change.

“I couldn’t help but think he didn’t quite hit the last 100m like he normally does,’’ Marquand said.

“So, we have whacked the blinkers on, that is something we haven’t had on before. He has had cheek pieces on the last three or four years so it won’t be a big shock to him.

“He won’t grow a spectacular pair of wings and do something he has never done before but it might help him travel and put a bit of spark back into him.’’

Sydney Trackwork

Addeybb has a roll after trackwork. Photo: Mark Evans/Getty Images

The Queen Elizabeth Stakes has been billed as a match race between Addeybb and Verry Elleegant for some weeks but the jockeys of Sir Dragonet and Mugatoo don’t see it that way.

Glen Boss, the rider of Sir Dragonet, said the horse gone to another level since his dominant Tancred Stakes win.

“Verry Elleegant is the main danger, she’s world class,’’ Boss said after riding Sir Dragonet in an impressive gallop at Royal Randwick’s Trackwork with the Stars on Tuesday morning.

“But this is going to be a spectacular race – classic distance, one of the best tracks, three great riders on three good horses – hopefully we can make it a good spectacle for everyone.’’

Bowman rides Mugatoo who is coming off his close fourth in the Doncaster Mile last Saturday.

“I might remind Glen there are eight in the race, not three,’’ Bowman said.

“But it is a very good race, high quality, and Mutagoo deserves his place in the line-up.

“He ran below expectations in the Doncaster, I won’t beat around the bush there, but if he can bounce off that and get back to the form he showed winning the All Star Mile a month ago he will make his presence felt. We know 2000m is his best distance.’’

James McDonald put Verry Elleegant through her paces at Rosehill trackwork before going back to Randwick for the big-race barrier draw.

“She is in really good order and did a lovely piece of work (yesterday morning),’’ McDonald said. “I’m looking forward to the big clash.’’

Think that was the jockey speaking and not the trainer . And to be honest no one puts them on knowing for sure they are going to make a difference , it's just something you try to find a bit more concentration and application . It often has the oppisite effect .

Met a few people i thought could do with getting a set of blinkers on , sharpen them up a bit .

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, nomates said:

Met a few people i thought could do with getting a set of blinkers on , sharpen them up a bit .

Blinkers, shadow roll - and THAT operation. 

Some women I know reckon a huge difference would be seen in application.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

There is another article where the Trainer says something similar.  

There is nothing about training a racehorse that is an exact science . As for that particular trainer , well he thought the horse required cheek pieces to get a better performance , horse wore them for 3 years so hw must have thought they helped get the best out of the horse , i bet the trainer didn't put them on in the first instance knowing they were going to be the making of the horse , he would have put them on thinking ( hoping ) they would help his performance , they were probably one of several little things that he experimented with trying to get the best performance he could , same with the blinkers .

All trainers go thru the same with most horses trying to extract the best from their horses , as i said not an exact science , what works for 9 doesn't work for the tenth .

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nomates said:

Seems the connections of Addeybb think that blinkers were a massive hekp in him winning Saturday's QE 11 cup . They might be onto something .

Really?  They didn't help him at the start!  First time he has missed the jump isn't it?  Nothing to do with the fact that he improved fitness wise from his first run of course.

53 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Really?  They didn't help him at the start!  First time he has missed the jump isn't it?  Nothing to do with the fact that he improved fitness wise from his first run of course.

Can't say if he's missed the jump before but interestingly Ron Dufficy said on Thorobred Weekly that it was something that happened regularly with first time wearers , can't say i have noticed that , certainly anything i put blinkers on never missed kick with them on .

Apparently the jockey had recommended them as he felt the horse was getting lazy and that they got him up on the bit and travelling better on Saturday . 

Certainly think that VE didn't help herself over racing for most of the race .

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, nomates said:

Certainly think that VE didn't help herself over racing for most of the race .

MacDonald contributed to that in my opinion.  I'm sure she would have settled on the rail and yes she may have got held up at some stage but she is robust enough to push out. Better to do that than fight her.

I've noticed that horses will sometimes miss away first time in blinkers.  Not always, but it can happen.

I reckon that they miss that first  movement of the gates with the shades covering the eye;  after all, they are supposed to reduce visibility all around so the concentration is forward?  So, not hard to see how it might happen.

• Like 1

Verry Elleegant owners propose $10m match race with Addeybb
Verry Elleegant falls short as she valiantly tries to run down Addeybb in the Queen Elizabeth. Photo: Hanna Lassen/Getty Images
HORSES

Stephen Brassel
Article Author

Stephen Brassel

Owners of champion mare Verry Elleegant have made a staggering offer to race Queen Elizabeth Stakes conqueror Addeybb in a winner-take-all $10m match race.

However, unfortunately for the Australian racing public, the race won’t come to fruition despite best intentions – at least not this year.

An early morning call to master trainer William Haggas at Newmarket in England on Sunday offering $5m for a match race against his Queen Elizabeth Stakes hero Addeybb must have come as a shock, but Haggas regathered himself and listened intently.

The caller was Brae Sokolski, part owner of champion mare Verry Elleegant and he was lunching at Mr Wong restaurant in Sydney and discussing with fellow owners how his team could exact revenge on their arch-rival.

For two years running Addeybb had beaten Verry Elleegant into second place in the showcase event of The Championships – the Queen Elizabeth Stakes but this time around the result didn’t sit well with Sokolski and a few of the owners.

The two horses have met four times with the score 3-1 in favour of the English raider but connections of Verry Elleegant are not convinced the better horse won on Saturday.

“Nothing went right for us and while I normally cop it on the chin this time I wasn’t convinced,” Sokolski said.

“I thought why not have a crack, and see what William had to say about a match race.

“He gave me time and listened respectfully, we talked for a good while and he actually said he loved the idea but it was going to be too hard this time around.

“His jockey Tom Marquand was already heading home and the horse was in the throes of getting out of the country as well.

“William said with a bit more notice he may well have been on board and he would certainly have given it plenty of thought.

“We proposed each team putting up five million dollars and the winner took the ten (million).

Melbourne Cup

Brae Sokolski watches Verry Elleegant in the Melbourne Cup. Stuart McEvoy/The Australian.

“It wasn’t like we were prepared to just throw money away, we honestly believe Verry Elleegant would beat Addeybb if they went head to head.

“It also didn’t help with the carnival going back a week as it shortened preparation time for Addeybb going back for Royal Ascot.”

As Addeybb jets out of the country to launch an assault on the big races in Europe the future of Verry Elleegant is yet to be decided.

“We’ll let the dust settle and then make a decision on whether she stays here and goes to the Cox Plate or we head to France for the Arc,” Sokolski said.

“I’ve always been keen on the Arc but the covid situation continues to be an issue so we have some serious thinking to do.”

And from there is could be another crack at the Queen Elizabeth and possibly another meeting, or two, with Addeybb next autumn.

13 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

MacDonald contributed to that in my opinion.  I'm sure she would have settled on the rail and yes she may have got held up at some stage but she is robust enough to push out. Better to do that than fight her.

Possibly , i think the lack of pace had more to do with it , Addeybb missing the kick really stuffed up the speed map for everybody , Dalasaan was never expecting to lead so his rider done what was right for his mount a dragged the speed out of the race , even Boss said he cocked up , said he should have rolled on Sir Dragonet and taken up the speed , as it was he sat back and that was his undoing . 2.6 L from 1st to last , so a real bunch finish , just a sprint home , suited the 2 sitting up front , 1st and 3rd .

2 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:
Verry Elleegant falls short as she valiantly tries to run down Addeybb in the Queen Elizabeth. Photo: Hanna Lassen/Getty Images
HORSES

Stephen Brassel Article Author

Stephen Brassel

4:40PM19 April 2021

Owners of champion mare Verry Elleegant have made a staggering offer to race Queen Elizabeth Stakes conqueror Addeybb in a winner-take-all $10m match race.

However, unfortunately for the Australian racing public, the race won’t come to fruition despite best intentions – at least not this year.

An early morning call to master trainer William Haggas at Newmarket in England on Sunday offering $5m for a match race against his Queen Elizabeth Stakes hero Addeybb must have come as a shock, but Haggas regathered himself and listened intently.

The caller was Brae Sokolski, part owner of champion mare Verry Elleegant and he was lunching at Mr Wong restaurant in Sydney and discussing with fellow owners how his team could exact revenge on their arch-rival.

For two years running Addeybb had beaten Verry Elleegant into second place in the showcase event of The Championships – the Queen Elizabeth Stakes but this time around the result didn’t sit well with Sokolski and a few of the owners.

The two horses have met four times with the score 3-1 in favour of the English raider but connections of Verry Elleegant are not convinced the better horse won on Saturday.

“Nothing went right for us and while I normally cop it on the chin this time I wasn’t convinced,” Sokolski said.

“I thought why not have a crack, and see what William had to say about a match race.

“He gave me time and listened respectfully, we talked for a good while and he actually said he loved the idea but it was going to be too hard this time around.

“His jockey Tom Marquand was already heading home and the horse was in the throes of getting out of the country as well.

“William said with a bit more notice he may well have been on board and he would certainly have given it plenty of thought.

“We proposed each team putting up five million dollars and the winner took the ten (million).

Melbourne Cup

Brae Sokolski watches Verry Elleegant in the Melbourne Cup. Stuart McEvoy/The Australian.

“It wasn’t like we were prepared to just throw money away, we honestly believe Verry Elleegant would beat Addeybb if they went head to head.

“It also didn’t help with the carnival going back a week as it shortened preparation time for Addeybb going back for Royal Ascot.”

As Addeybb jets out of the country to launch an assault on the big races in Europe the future of Verry Elleegant is yet to be decided.

“We’ll let the dust settle and then make a decision on whether she stays here and goes to the Cox Plate or we head to France for the Arc,” Sokolski said.

“I’ve always been keen on the Arc but the covid situation continues to be an issue so we have some serious thinking to do.”

And from there is could be another crack at the Queen Elizabeth and possibly another meeting, or two, with Addeybb next autumn.

Don't think she can win a 2 horse match race , Addeybb will dictate , the biggest issue i would see is VE still doesn't have the greatest racing manners , improving but not perfect . 

And why does it have to be 5mil , just sounds like bruised ego , i think 1 or 1.5 mil each would be enough . 

• Like 1

On 19/04/2021 at 7:42 PM, nomates said:

Don't think she can win a 2 horse match race , Addeybb will dictate , the biggest issue i would see is VE still doesn't have the greatest racing manners , improving but not perfect . 

And why does it have to be 5mil , just sounds like bruised ego , i think 1 or 1.5 mil each would be enough . 

who was putting up the 5 mill sokowski

On 4/19/2021 at 6:00 PM, Chief Stipe said:

But the plan was executed Chief,  he won with the blinkers being put on.