Bit Of A Yarn

Grand Effort by Verry Elleegant

Gammalite

The Queen Elizabeth Stakes has been won for a second time by the Pommie visitor ADDYEBB this afternoon. He also beat VE last year in the $4mill race.

Verry Elleegant tried very hard and after pulling very hard early in the contest and throwing her head around, and getting shuffled back, she still raced up there 4 wide, to try and haul in Addyebb as they came into home straight. The addition of blinkers probably helped him stave off her challenge.

Verry Elleegant did NZ proud !!!, and picked up 3/4 of $million for second. (and she did beat Addyebb in the Ranvet last start). What a courageous horse she is.

It wasn't a great ride from JMac.  He got into that mindset that he had to get her to the outside and in doing so she started to fight him.  I believe she is mature enough now to settle where she was.  She expended a lot more effort and covered more distance than Adeybb in what was a slowly run race. 

17 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

It wasn't a great ride from JMac.  He got into that mindset that he had to get her to the outside and in doing so she started to fight him.  I believe she is mature enough now to settle where she was.  She expended a lot more effort and covered more distance than Adeybb in what was a slowly run race. 

Agree, and I thought the ride on Probabeel wasn't that great, thought he went too early.

The track wasn't a Good track either - played more like a Soft 6 which makes the effort of Entriviere in the last quite remarkable.  I don't think the track helped Probabeel either given Nettoyer is a knows wet tracker.  Same for Armarelinha where her turn of foot was nullified by the conditions.  I'm surprised Opie's comment was that Armarelinha had come to the end of this preparation.

43 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

The track wasn't a Good track either - played more like a Soft 6 which makes the effort of Entriviere in the last quite remarkable.  I don't think the track helped Probabeel either given Nettoyer is a knows wet tracker.  Same for Armarelinha where her turn of foot was nullified by the conditions.  I'm surprised Opie's comment was that Armarelinha had come to the end of this preparation.

Don't know why yp would be surprised at Bossons comment , it was my first thought , she has been up a long time without any substantial spell , then a flight to Aus . She will be even better next prep with the trip under her belt . 

As for Probabeel , i think the other mare was race hard and also has a very good track record , won a Donny , so she is no slug , they beat the rest pretty easy .

Definately the track had a lot more give in it than many were expecting , which worked for the Pom in the QE stakes .

1 hour ago, nomates said:

Don't know why yp would be surprised at Bossons comment , it was my first thought , she has been up a long time without any substantial spell , then a flight to Aus . She will be even better next prep with the trip under her belt . 

Maybe but she has had 3 weeks between all but one of her races and a month since her Oaks win.  As for the flight over a damn sight easier than a float trip to Wellington!  I think if the track had been firmer she would have run better.

Often Te Akau's horses look a little underdone when they start first up in OZ.  Then they have a hard run and are flattened.  The Sydney trainers seem to have a don't die wondering attitude.  Just an opinion based on observation.  Now I don't think our best 3 yr olds are inferior to Ozzie's but they don't get tested enough in NZ because we don't have the depth as much now.