Bit Of A Yarn

Oamaru, Friday

And we have all been going on about racing at one or two venues in  winter more because of the better track condition but it is still winter and always on the cards(bad weather),the nominations were good but the fields just average,maybe a lot were thinking dry track and left dissapointed,unlike the track in Christchurch though Oamaru will get a long spell after August which probably makes a difference.

Was wondering if those mutton pies were still available,  I suppose too high in cholesterol/fat for the modern consumer.  Not that there will be many, modern or otherwise, today, I wouldn't think.

I thought Oamaru had already had a long spell...or have I missed something?

6 hours ago, Freda said:

Was wondering if those mutton pies were still available,  I suppose too high in cholesterol/fat for the modern consumer.  Not that there will be many, modern or otherwise, today, I wouldn't think.

I thought Oamaru had already had a long spell...or have I missed something?

Apologies for the warm, sub tropical conditions that Oamaru has provided today. Stirring stuff.

12 minutes ago, Ludwig said:

And Freda, are you happy with Magic Ivan's run?

He tried hard,  all credit to him, but I was a little disappointed that he lost second....but very hard preparing middle distance horses from headquarters at present,  tracks underwater and closed this morning,  no grass gallops apart from a 1000m strip outside down the 1200m chute, and only once a week. Makes things very trying.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Freda said:

At least the bar is free....

Does that mean free bear,gee if that was the case they would be queuing up,how about the mutton pies,or have they replaced with those vegan ones that taste like shit coz they probably are shit.

11 hours ago, mikeynz said:

Does that mean free bear,gee if that was the case they would be queuing up,how about the mutton pies,or have they replaced with those vegan ones that taste like shit coz they probably are shit.

No pies, nothing on course for sale to eat,  jocks had a platter of fruit in the rooms. 

Looked like a very long chilly wait for the truck to leave - hours later - but, upon inspection, the bar above the grandstand was free ( president's shout, I was told )  and plates of sandwiches and cold meats were available,  also free.  A great gesture, and upon reflection,  with such a small turnout of patrons, the best option all round.  The club was on a hiding to nothing anyway I should think, without paying for anything more substantial. 

The normally reliable ' firm' winter going was very testing indeed, one jockey describing it as the heaviest he had ridden on.  He obviously hasn't plugged around at Trentham in the winter.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Freda said:

No pies, nothing on course for sale to eat,  jocks had a platter of fruit in the rooms. 

Looked like a very long chilly wait for the truck to leave - hours later - but, upon inspection, the bar above the grandstand was free ( president's shout, I was told )  and plates of sandwiches and cold meats were available,  also free.  A great gesture, and upon reflection,  with such a small turnout of patrons, the best option all round.  The club was on a hiding to nothing anyway I should think, without paying for anything more substantial. 

The normally reliable ' firm' winter going was very testing indeed, one jockey describing it as the heaviest he had ridden on.  He obviously hasn't plugged around at Trentham in the winter.

Strange as it one of the driest parts of the country runs a race meeting and what happens a few days earlier,it pisses down,seems to happen often at Napier when having a major cricket match,we can't control nature,we have to live alongside.

20 hours ago, mikeynz said:

Strange as it one of the driest parts of the country runs a race meeting and what happens a few days earlier,it pisses down,seems to happen often at Napier when having a major cricket match,we can't control nature,we have to live alongside.

Yes, nature will do what she will, everything underwater again here, farmers spared this time thank goodness. 

No gallop track again yesterday,  the temporary plough unusable,  the once-a-week outside strip down the chute not available ( resembles a cow paddock anyway)  so I took my potential runners for next week to Rangiora to gallop.

One or two comments from a few, did the day at Oamaru affect you badly ?  I was asked...we'll see if I'm still deemed crazy if the rain keeps up ( bucketing down at the moment)  and there is nothing to work on this week.

I hope this rain keeps up, then it won't come down, makes sense to me,as for the mutton pies the cost of sheep wether lamb or mutton very expensive indeed, nothing like the good old days, when this stuff was affordable, do remember many years back riccarton used to do a hot roast meat sandwich, but yes a long time ago.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Shad said:

I hope this rain keeps up, then it won't come down, makes sense to me,as for the mutton pies the cost of sheep wether lamb or mutton very expensive indeed, nothing like the good old days, when this stuff was affordable, do remember many years back riccarton used to do a hot roast meat sandwich, but yes a long time ago.

Well the good news is that Jimmy's pies are readily available in many places., including their mutton pie. A staple in the South, though I prefer the Jimmy's mince and cheese.

49 minutes ago, Ludwig said:

Well the good news is that Jimmy's pies are readily available in many places., including their mutton pie. A staple in the South, though I prefer the Jimmy's mince and cheese.

Am I correct that jimmies pies or some of them stopped being made for a while or have stopped completely?Some of them weren't in the shop for a time.

Those Irvine big pies or whatever they call them are ok.

Edited by mikeynz

6 hours ago, Ludwig said:

Those Jimmy Pies are not bad, use like geting those when lived in deep south. Mince, Mince Cheese and potatoe top . But for varity use like Marlow pies selection, many good ones in that.

On 6/19/2021 at 4:33 AM, Freda said:

Timaru,thursday,Riccarton,saturday,its going to be interesting seeing how things pan out.

Reasonable fields for both Timaru today and Riccarton saturday,despite some average weather so in reality there is room for both days yet Timaru lose this meeting next year to Oamaru who strangely lose their day from last week to the AWT,Timaru losing three days is a bit rough,Wyndham stood up for themselves to get their days back,maybe some common sense is needed.

• Like 2