Bit Of A Yarn

Auckland Super Club

Huey

2 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

Have a look on TR site for exact increases. If you or others dont want to race at that end of the market then you have options , get out or go to Oz or SGP. 

It's that type of thinking Fairy Flash that has got us to where we are today i.e. only a few industry participants , owners clubs and their opinions matter and if they don't like it they can stuff off! I'm even of the opinion as silly as your opinions are you still have the right to have a say about it all.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

If you or others dont want to race at that end of the market then you have options , get out or go to Oz or SGP. 

Your a fecking idiot , this is exactly why racing finds itself in the position it does , i'm wasting my time , all you can do is refer me to your IDOLS website .

Your an ignorant and churlish little man who has little or no understanding of the wider problems this industry has , your solution " POSITIVITY " , your PROBABLY be right .

Not !!! 

p.s. don't damage your painted fingernails typing a reply , i'm not wasting my intelligence on you anymore .

• Like 4
  • Champ Post 1

4 hours ago, Tesio said:

Did your club distribute some of their assets back to the racing community? 

Are you referring to Westland?  How much subsidisation have they had over the years compared to Ellerslie?  

The Hokitika Racecourse was a community asset, built on the back of hard work by the community.  It was clear that if the asset was given back to racing it wasn't going do anything for the Hokitika community nor racing on the West Coast.

Good luck to Auckland - I sincerely hope that the planets align for them to achieve what they are setting out to achieve.  It isn't a forgone conclusion that they will achieve their objectives but if they do then for Auckland and Waikato racing it will be great. 

However will it stand on it's own two feet?  Will the revenue they generate from their core revenue streams pay for all the premier races that they currently have that have their stakes subsidised by the rest of the industry and pokies?  Will they be expected to pay their way OR will they continue to drain revenue from elsewhere?

Surely that is the key - if the Auckland Racing Club can achieve what they are proposing to do without ANY subsidisation then it might work.  If not then it will distort the market further with a high cost model of production and that will not be a good outcome for NZ.

For those thinking that Ellerslie is being set up to be the Hong Kong of New Zealand well if all due respect you are dreaming.   The whole of NZ racing doesn't get anywhere near the total revenue generated by racing in Hong Kong.  That and the fact that Hong Kong is also a closed system training facility.  I don't see any horses being trained at Ellerslie anytime soon.  

• Like 5

6 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

I know this will never be enough for you and yr 2 followers on here but my take is the $2 k you refer to is only for certain lower class races, others are to be increased by much more .

Have a look on TR site for exact increases. If you or others dont want to race at that end of the market then you have options , get out or go to Oz or SGP. 

My reading was that it was for all industry meetings and only between Aug 28 and April 2. No increases at all during that period.

• Champ Post 1

8 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Correct me if I'm wrong which I'm sure a couple of people will try and do anyway.....

But wasn't the Strathayr Track and the doubling of stakes contingent on getting the assets from Avondale Jockey Club?

Where is that at?

Maybe...I thought the sale of the 'hill' was intrisic to that happening.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Correct me if I'm wrong which I'm sure a couple of people will try and do anyway.....

But wasn't the Strathayr Track and the doubling of stakes contingent on getting the assets from Avondale Jockey Club?

Where is that at?

Perhaps thats where NZTR come in.

I guess if it is they get the amalgamation over the line first then start on the emotional blackmail with Avondale, you know calling them out for not wanting to be part of the future of nzracing etc etc.

16 hours ago, Gospel of Judas said:

With all this grand money coming up, who going become a trainer? oh shit don't see anymore people wanting too. What does that  say re current state of the industry? uhm yea it abit screwed.

Its interesting isn't it, obviously still a lot of water to go under the bridge before they get the track and stakes in place, but that hasn't stopped the usual lot celebrating it like its already happened.

Personally I'd prefer to see a Strathyr where the horse population is , but I guess when it comes to NZracing anything is better than nothing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Huey said:

Personally I'd prefer to see a Strathyr where the horse population is , but I guess when it comes to NZracing anything is better than nothing.

I assume their analysis suggests it is more efficient to move the horse population either permanently or regularly to that track.

The more you get into the detail the more questions about the sustainability of this new Super Club emerges.  

For example:  is there a Strathayr track anywhere else with a comparable climate that can sustain 40 race meetings a year?  That's about 400 races.  Or 16% of the national total.

Now add another 42 race meetings (14 x 3) from the AWT'S alone that takes the total to 30%+.  Then add their Turf meetings and we'll aren't we getting close to 50%+ of the races in NZ occurring at 4 locations?  Ellerslie, Cambridge, Awapuni and Riccarton.

39 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

The more you get into the detail the more questions about the sustainability of this new Super Club emerges.  

For example:  is there a Strathayr track anywhere else with a comparable climate that can sustain 40 race meetings a year?  That's about 400 races.  Or 16% of the national total.

Now add another 42 race meetings (14 x 3) from the AWT'S alone that takes the total to 30%+.  Then add their Turf meetings and we'll aren't we getting close to 50%+ of the races in NZ occurring at 4 locations?  Ellerslie, Cambridge, Awapuni and Riccarton.

Now tell me what % of the horse population is within 100km radius of those 4 locations

Doing the numbers on this it doesn't add up unless NZTR redirects a substantial amount of funds to Ellerslie AND they get ALL of Avondales assets.

As it is they need Avondale to race on while they build the Strathayr.

Once they build that it is all a dead end.  Plus Strathayr tracks still need time out each year AND major renovation on a cyclical basis.

13 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Doing the numbers on this it doesn't add up unless NZTR redirects a substantial amount of funds to Ellerslie AND they get ALL of Avondales assets.

As it is they need Avondale to race on while they build the Strathayr.

Once they build that it is all a dead end.  Plus Strathayr tracks still need time out each year AND major renovation on a cyclical basis.

I have the feeling once/if the Dargaville scenario has been completed we will see a huge go by the governing body for several assets within the industry.

It certainly has to be part of the plan given the direct internal policies clearly put in place to destroy these assets.

It's always amused me how leadership within the industry here are congratulated for shrinking the industry when they should be growing it.

Once again I'd love to see a Strathyr but saying it and doing it are two different things in this industry. 

12 minutes ago, Huey said:

I have the feeling once/if the Dargaville scenario has been completed we will see a huge go by the governing body for several assets within the industry.

It certainly has to be part of the plan given the direct internal policies clearly put in place to destroy these assets.

It's always amused me how leadership within the industry here are congratulated for shrinking the industry when they should be growing it.

Once again I'd love to see a Strathyr but saying it and doing it are two different things in this industry. 

But "investing" the assets somewhere else to earn money to fund stakes is just a more sophisticated way of using NZRB reserves to fund stakes while not investing in industry wide infrastructure.

Now no doubt I'll be accused of being negative but if the largest number of horses are being trained on an AWT at Cambridge for racing at Cambridge and Ellerslie isn't that a rather narrow vision for the industry?  One that doesn't promote growth, market reach nor utilises our core advantages particularly our horse friendly pasture/turf based environments.  

Is a Hong Kong closed system where horses are sourced from other parts of the world (predominantly NZ) as yearlings, broken in (here in NZ) and sometimes tried before export, then exported to Hong Kong and stabled for the rest of their racing lives very rarely galloping on a paddock again, the type of system we want in NZ?  

Yea how good would it be to buy back the pitch'n'putt....

Do the HK thing and house the horse population in the middle...just like Laurie Laxon said!

Or sell up HQ...buy the Muriwai golf course...who needs a Strath then!

...and start again...

Or down by Te Akau Studs coast...so they get to clean up even more

Anything to get the f outta Auckland's nightmare traffic'n'gun shooting traffic fun zone!