Bit Of A Yarn

How bad is the state of North Island Harness Racing?

Happy Sunrise

This bad.

If you ever wanted confirmation that harness racing is struggling in the North Island, this article sums it up.

Billy Badger to target New Zealand Cup (HRNZ News)

Trainer Robert Dunn has confirmed a New Zealand Cup campaign is in the plans for last week’s excellent Winter Cup winner at Alexandra Park, Billy Badger.

“After that win I sat down with (son) Johnny and (owners) the Gordons and we had a good talk about it.

“We think he deserves a crack at the top company so, he’s going to have a brief spell now while we map out some races for him.

He’ll head back down south, because you just can’t risk doing a spring preparation up here unfortunately.

“It’s too much of a risk that the races won’t get off the ground.

“It looks like we’ll have him, Captain Dolmio and Alta Orlando for the Cup, which I think gives us three strong chances in what looks like being an open year.”

1 hour ago, Happy Sunrise said:

This bad.

If you ever wanted confirmation that harness racing is struggling in the North Island, this article sums it up.

Billy Badger to target New Zealand Cup (HRNZ News)

Trainer Robert Dunn has confirmed a New Zealand Cup campaign is in the plans for last week’s excellent Winter Cup winner at Alexandra Park, Billy Badger.

“After that win I sat down with (son) Johnny and (owners) the Gordons and we had a good talk about it.

“We think he deserves a crack at the top company so, he’s going to have a brief spell now while we map out some races for him.

He’ll head back down south, because you just can’t risk doing a spring preparation up here unfortunately.

“It’s too much of a risk that the races won’t get off the ground.

“It looks like we’ll have him, Captain Dolmio and Alta Orlando for the Cup, which I think gives us three strong chances in what looks like being an open year.”

Its sad but true happy...also the fact that billy badger is going for the cup is also a reflection of how poor our open class stock is in nz now (no disrespect to the horse)

12 hours ago, Flagship uberalles said:

Its sad but true happy...also the fact that billy badger is going for the cup is also a reflection of how poor our open class stock is in nz now (no disrespect to the horse)

all comes down to one stable why fields are so poor and small up north better off selling some times

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hunterthepunter said:

all comes down to one stable why fields are so poor and small up north better off selling some times

I say bollocks to that! I blame the lack of new young trainers in the North that could replace older trainers who retire, pass on etc. The price of land and the traffic in Auckland must also have an impact. One stable is not to blame for this.

13 hours ago, Flagship uberalles said:

Hi Flaggy,

I disagree, I do not think the open class ranks are poor. While there is not a champion around presently, I still think there are at least 10 horses that I would rate very good horses that will ensure the Cup is very competitive and interesting this year. 

Anyone can set their horses for certain races, and aim high, whether you get there or not is another thing.

Cheers.

Robert.

Auckland Harness is stuffed at the moment.

Last race tonight rating up to 62 racing for 14,500 and there are a full field of 5 horses!!!!

So it is not the stake money that is the problem clearly!

Stakes are good to what they used to race for but I beleive that there are bugger all new owners prepared to shell out big money to breed or buy and take the risk of hoping that their horse has enough ability to pay its way.

Personally wouldn’t take the risk either as there are far better ways of making money that is guaranteed than owning horses.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Double R said:

Hi Flaggy,

I disagree, I do not think the open class ranks are poor. While there is not a champion around presently, I still think there are at least 10 horses that I would rate very good horses that will ensure the Cup is very competitive and interesting this year. 

Anyone can set their horses for certain races, and aim high, whether you get there or not is another thing.

Cheers.

Robert.

i agree with your points Robert,

Its just my overall view that standards have gone for cup races now and open class racing in nz attract really low numbers and good but not great quality horses. Just sad we have got to that point, from an outside looking in perspective.

58 minutes ago, Flagship uberalles said:

i agree with your points Robert,

Its just my overall view that standards have gone for cup races now and open class racing in nz attract really low numbers and good but not great quality horses. Just sad we have got to that point, from an outside looking in perspective.

All good Flaggy. 

I was surprised when I went back and had a look at Cup fields over the 55 years, how, on reflection, how very average a lot of the fields were.

Good luck in the world cup competition tomorrow.

Cheers.

Robert.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brodie said:

Personally wouldn’t take the risk either as there are far better ways of making money that is guaranteed than owning horses.

Agree Brodie, but anyone who owns horses to make money is fooling themselves. Most people do it for the fun of it, in my case anyway.

This is why we must not let the Health & Safety brigade take all the fun out of it by stopping owners standing beside their pride & joy for a photo, and goodness knows what other crazy ideas they are hatching.

If you want people to race horses for the purposes of profit,  stakes will need to quadruple, and that' s not going to happen, even in Auckland

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Double R said:

All good Flaggy. 

I was surprised when I went back and had a look at Cup fields over the 55 years, how, on reflection, how very average a lot of the fields were.

Good luck in the world cup competition tomorrow.

Cheers.

Robert.

Totally agree,  always been some average NZ cup fields over the years. 

Usually this topic pops up each year, but I think it’s going to be even, with more aus horses with no laz in the race. Looking forward to seeing what younger horses to start 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Brodie said:

Auckland Harness is stuffed at the moment.

Last race tonight rating up to 62 racing for 14,500 and there are a full field of 5 horses!!!!

So it is not the stake money that is the problem clearly!

Stakes are good to what they used to race for but I beleive that there are bugger all new owners prepared to shell out big money to breed or buy and take the risk of hoping that their horse has enough ability to pay its way.

Not the best example. There were ten horses eligible for this race that went in the South of the Bombay restricted race (as you would).

There were also a number in the junior drivers' race too.

Glenn Ford, New York Rain and Naholo weren't eligible for either race (being 3yos that didn't race at Cambridge or on the grass).

I'm not denying there is a shortage of horses, however.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spatchcock said:

Not the best example. There were ten horses eligible for this race that went in the South of the Bombay restricted race (as you would).

There were also a number in the junior drivers' race too.

Glenn Ford, New York Rain and Naholo weren't eligible for either race (being 3yos that didn't race at Cambridge or on the grass).

I'm not denying there is a shortage of horses, however.

Fair enough , but does that mean that the programming was wrong?

I can’t see how any club can be a winner when a race on,y has 5 starters, and yes I know it happens at Addington as well in Winter.

There is a shortage of horses in slightly higher classes say r60 plus because when they keep dropping ratings there are a lot in the 50’s

• Like 2

On 7/07/2018 at 12:08 PM, Brodie said:

Fair enough , but does that mean that the programming was wrong?

I can’t see how any club can be a winner when a race on,y has 5 starters, and yes I know it happens at Addington as well in Winter.

There is a shortage of horses in slightly higher classes say r60 plus because when they keep dropping ratings there are a lot in the 50’s

Maybe it just looks worse because we have so many meetings....more choice to start?