Bit Of A Yarn

GRNZ to Seek Government Funding to Upgrade Unsafe Tracks.

Glenda Hughes, CEO of GRNZ announced today that they would be seeking funding from Government to assist in the upgrading tracks that are unsafe.

She said, "We believe a precedent was set when over $35m was given to the Thoroughbred industry to build three All Weather Tracks.  That coupled with the inquiry into Greyhound Racing it makes a good case for assistance to upgrade our Tracks to be safe to race on".

• Haha 1

Guest CrossCodes
3 hours ago, aquaman said:

From what I heard this morning that will be a no chance. Quiet the opposite, the entire industry is very close to being terminated. Wish I could think otherwise. In fact was only just thinking of starting a thread on it.

Sadly I think you are right.

With Robin Wales giving up training and cutting right back you would think he has become aware of the future of greyhound racing, especially with his connections on the GRNZ board.

A few of the larger trainers have given up, or are in the process of winding down over the last year, I guess the board will be happy when the entire racing fields in NZ are either a Bigtime or a Homebush, both kennels with abhorrent rehoming statistics.

21 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Glenda Hughes, CEO of GRNZ announced today that they would be seeking funding from Government to assist in the upgrading tracks that are unsafe.

Well then Glenda, as GRNZ's Chief Executive, isn't it your responsibility to step up & mothball tracks that are not safe until the point they are made to be safe to race on?

The ONE thing that she's done since gaining her 3 day a week high paid position & she came out with this. OMFG... Thanks for chiming in Glenda, you too can see how safe the current Greyhound tracks will be when there are no longer dogs running around them.

I've always known that Hoof & Mouth disease was a serious problem with cattle. Seems this head cow is now making it transfer to Greyhounds & has renamed it "Hoof In Mouth" disease. 

Good-bye Greyhound industry...

• Like 2

On 30/07/2021 at 5:35 PM, Chief Stipe said:

This post is fake news - I made it up.

My opinion is that Greyhounds and Harness have been short changed.  Thoroughbreds got the big handout ($35m) and nothing went to the other codes.

The TAB got a bail-out, which [ in theory ] helped all codes.  As far as the AWT funding goes however, yes, you are right.

But Winston's supporters were, as far as the racing industry was concerned,  the high-end thoroughbred breeders/trainers from the Waikato.  Harness and dogs don't figure on their radar.

On 30/07/2021 at 6:04 PM, Yankiwi said:

I should have realized it was fake-news.

Glenda never fronts. Mybad for believing she actually might have.

Well my last "skin in the game" involvement was with Thoroughbreds.  I just don't like the inequity of the handout for the AWT's.  However neither HRNZ or GRNZ have done anything about it.  I have my suspicions given the history of Woodham and Hughes that they are compliant.

Here's some non fake-news from today at P/N.

Good on you Mike Austin for making the tough call and to do the right thing for the dogs welfare. The RIB needs more staff like yourself that are not afraid to take charge. The RIB should also be looking within itself to move out the pussycats they acquired during the transformation from the RIU.

image.png.9773ed311ff853030f0fb2366cc03002.png

https://www.grnz.co.nz/catch-the-action/14628/result-detail.aspx

Hopefully there won't be any afterhours backhanded action like happened last week from GRNZ headquarters & the GRNZ board.

Now what was being said on BOAY about PNGRC being the best run club?