Bit Of A Yarn

Addingtons new surface

Chapdog

How are trainers finding the new surface at Addington? It’s been in use for around 3 months now and reading the stipes reports the injury rate seems to be slightly less? Would be interested to hear the thoughts of some owners/trainers who race there. 

1 hour ago, Chapdog said:

How are trainers finding the new surface at Addington? It’s been in use for around 3 months now and reading the stipes reports the injury rate seems to be slightly less? Would be interested to hear the thoughts of some owners/trainers who race there. 

I'd like to hear too, although probably not the best timing to ask.

A tricep & a hock last night...

https://www.grnz.co.nz/catch-the-action/14642/stewards-report.aspx

I’m not happy at all with  it.  Didn’t think we needed to change. 2 abandoned meetings lately. Nothing to bind it together. Old sand had lime, this hasn’t . Sand is same as invercargill but our track it totally different. Might be my bad luck but I’ve had more injuries since new sand than I have in years.   Had to top up with course sand this week to help with drainage.  Unfortunately it was one of my guys who broke a hock last night. But he’s getting it fixed and will home soon. 

• Champ Post 1

8 hours ago, Goldstar said:

I’m not happy at all with  it.  Didn’t think we needed to change. 2 abandoned meetings lately. Nothing to bind it together. Old sand had lime, this hasn’t . Sand is same as invercargill but our track it totally different. Might be my bad luck but I’ve had more injuries since new sand than I have in years.   Had to top up with course sand this week to help with drainage.  Unfortunately it was one of my guys who broke a hock last night. But he’s getting it fixed and will home soon. 

Thanks for the reply, Why would they choose to use a sand that doesn’t bind together? Is the track at Invercargill the same as far as sand not binding together goes? I’ve never been to the track in Invercargill but I have heard good things about the sand there.

• 2 years later...
On 13/08/2021 at 7:35 AM, Chapdog said:

Flash forward a couple of years.

It'd be interesting to hear how some of the owners/trainers are thinking now about the Addington surface.

https://www.grnz.co.nz/News/3105/Addington-Update-2-October-2023 

3 hours ago, Freda said:

A friend who has a dog in work with a local trainer tells me that 3 months is the word.   Her trainer has turned her team out for now.

Thanks for that Freda.

So just what has GRNZ's new superstar (Aussie reject) brought to the table since he began sucking out industry funds?

image.png.60ed5aa7b929c8497baf93624020c5e6.png

• We've seen the Wanganui track return to racing (which was already underway long before he started).
  • We've heard about some progress on the Wanganui straight track construction (which again was already underway) yet still hasn't been delivered, a year behind schedule.
  • We've had Auckland shut down for refurbishment because it was in tatters & some have said he wrecked what was an already bad track with his efforts. Injuries haven't reduced.
  • We've had Cambridge shut down for months to correct a simple lure drive problem which ended with a lure trolley upgrade.
  • Now we're seeing Christchurch being potentially mothballed for three months as Freda suggests.

Steel medal awards (running rail contacts) in 2023 thus far.

image.thumb.png.9aaef3cf95902cb7fe2b36ee7a9fdcc4.png

2 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Wouldn't it be interesting if the Thoroughbred code followed the same approach.  Riccarton would be out for a year.

Reliable source has informed me that there's no track too big for this guy to work his magic on.

image.png

He loves racing as well (however for a totally different reason).

Maybe NZTR should give him a ring & and another $100K+ a year for his expertise.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2023 at 5:40 AM, Freda said:

A friend who has a dog in work with a local trainer tells me that 3 months is the word.   Her trainer has turned her team out for now.

Well, that wasn't a very long spell. 

I wonder if the left hand knows what the right is doing?

• Like 3

Addingtons new surface looks great! Only 2 40+ day injuries during races and one 40+ day injury from falling after the finishing line so far. Great work fellas! The last month has seen a huge difference! I bet the southern trainers are feeling relieved just how beneficial the surface upgrades have been.

Side note - how long have pin muscles been 40 day standowns for?

Screenshot_20231019_222554_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a7d57f09fb43f4ccb27fcc1323a3073f.jpg

Screenshot_20231019_222521_Chrome.thumb.jpg.5cec7396f61d38a77a448346a8907cc7.jpg

Screenshot_20231019_222505_Chrome.thumb.jpg.146f87af5dc050f52fa1c621593619b8.jpg

Edited by BitofaLegend
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Yankiwi said:

Alison, I'm truly sorry this has happened today.

Doesn't seem that Addington's track surface is all sorted out to me.

Someone made the call to open it back up, I wonder who?

image.png.4555543548b0b23e22446651bee05918.png 

3 meetings in and 3 40+ day injuries now plus the one past the line. Better hope media dont pick this one up. Probably be around the time the Mcinerney case drops.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BitofaLegend said:

Well GRNZ and the club only have themselves to blame if media dies puck this up. We all know the only reason Addingtons racing again is because the NZ cup is a week away

But Chazza's stats says the track is brilliant!

The problem Greyhounds have is the way that you vet dogs after a race and publish the results.  Dog racing seems inherently problematic with regard to injury.  

19 hours ago, Yankiwi said:

Alison, I'm truly sorry this has happened today.

Doesn't seem that Addington's track surface is all sorted out to me.

Someone made the call to open it back up, I wonder who?

image.png.4555543548b0b23e22446651bee05918.png 

Thanks Charles.

Eggs is a real character of dog.He’s at the vets and operated on on Monday.

We all jump in and blame the track but he is the first dog I have had in 6 years to injure his hock.

Personally I have no issues with the track since they have reopened last week.

I wouldn’t be racing if I thought there was a real problem.

Alison

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

But Chazza's stats says the track is brilliant!  

Addington does very well in keeping the dogs off the running rail, the ONE thing I have been compiling data on.

Anything other than that Chief is pie in the sky stuff stored somewhere in your mind, unless of course you have data that reflects differently, which I'd happily compare with mine.

4th quarter.

image.thumb.png.b4cce425a5ef3da537873475714ac37f.png

Year to date.

image.thumb.png.92cff806f8e4b161705f39e1bf900669.png

18 minutes ago, Yankiwi said:

Addington does very well in keeping the dogs off the running rail, the ONE thing I have been compiling data on.

Anything other than that Chief is pie in the sky stuff stored somewhere in your mind, unless of course you have data that reflects differently, which I'd happily compare with mine.

4th quarter.

image.thumb.png.b4cce425a5ef3da537873475714ac37f.png

Year to date.

image.thumb.png.92cff806f8e4b161705f39e1bf900669.png

All good Chazza.  Obviously there is no correlation between surface, rail strike and injury.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Overit said:

Can anyone enlighten the talk of false readings on addington track as it was discussed at a meeting held down there this week.

Could this be some fallout from it?

Judicial report: This meeting was abandoned due to the track diagnostics being outside the acceptable range.

https://www.grnz.co.nz/catch-the-action/15725/stewards-report.aspx