Bit Of A Yarn

2021 Winx Stakes - look at this field! Oh we dream!

Chief Stipe

Of $500,000.1st $287,000, 2nd $94,000, 3rd $49,500, 4th $22,250, 5th $12,250, 6th $5,000, 7th $5,000, 8th $5,000, 9th $5,000, 10th $5,000, Equine Welfare Fund $5,000, Jockey Welfare Fund $5,000. GROUP 1
Standard Weight for Age, Three-Years-Old and Upwards, Apprentices cannot claim.

Track Name: Randwick Track Type: Turf

Field Limit: 16 + 4 EM
  Last 10 Horse Bonus Trainer Ballot Wgt(kg) True Wgt(kg) Penalty(kg) B'mark
1 4117x3112x VERRY ELLEEGANT (NZ)   Chris Waller 1 57     122
2 10x22501x5 KOLDING (NZ)   Chris Waller 2 59     116
3 5103x1214x THINK IT OVER   Kerry Parker 3= 59     114
4 561x12454x COLETTE   James Cummings 3= 57     114
5 0825x3413x CASCADIAN (GB)   James Cummings 5 59     112
6 0x017x528x DREAMFORCE   John Thompson 6 59     111
7 4303x2007x IMAGING (GB)   Chris Waller 7= 59     107
8 095x41690x STAR OF THE SEAS (NZ)   Chris Waller 7= 59     107
9 117x32107x MO’UNGA (NZ)   Annabel Neasham 7= 58.5     107
10 227x78111x HUNGRY HEART   Chris Waller 10 56.5     106
11 04654x300x KEIAI NAUTIQUE (JPN)   Matthew Smith 11= 59     105
12 04508x663x MASTER OF WINE (GER)   Michael, Wayne & John Hawkes 11= 59     105
13 876x00134x BRANDENBURG (NZ)   John Sargent 13 59     104
14 13x41x211x MOUNT POPA (IRE)   Michael, Wayne & John Hawkes 14 59     103
15 325x32324x SHE’S IDEEL   Bjorn Baker 15 57     102
  • Like 1

• Chief Stipe changed the title to 2021 Winx Stakes - look at these nominations! Oh we dream!
  • Chief Stipe changed the title to 2021 Winx Stakes - look at this field! Oh we dream!

Winx Stakes: Final field and barrier draw

Verry Elleegant (red/blue) is favourite for the Winx Stakes. Photo: Mark Evans/Getty ImagesVerry Elleegant (red/blue) is favourite for the Winx Stakes. Photo: Mark Evans/Getty Images

By Mitch Cohen
12:42pm • 18 August 2021
Comments

Superstar mare Verry Elleegant is drawn to get every chance of defending her Winx Stakes crown as she leads a five-pronged Chris Waller assault of the first Group 1 of the season at Randwick.

Leading jockey James McDonald will be in the hot seat on the early favourite from barrier five as Verry Elleegant looks to get her spring campaign off to winning start in consecutive years.

Verry Elleegant highlighted her versatility when hanging tough to outpoint Star Of The Seas in the same race 12 months ago.

A field of 14 has accepted for the $500,000 weight for age event over 1400m in 2021.

Star Of The Seas (barrier nine) will line up in the Group 1 again alongside fellow Waller-trained spring contenders Kolding (10), Imaging (six) and Hungry Heart (3) – her first run since her Australian Oaks win.

Waller has won the five of the past six editions of the Winx Stakes, named in honour of his former star mare which won three times from 2016 to 2018.

Godolphin only elected to accept with Doncaster Mile winner Cascadian, which will jump from barrier seven, with stablemate Colette set to line up next week in the Group 1 Memsie Stakes.

Sydney Racing

Mo'unga will make his return. Photo: Mark Evans/Getty Images

Tommy Berry will be forced to navigate from gate 12 when he pilots the talented Mo’unga in his highly-anticipated spring return while the younger brother of Fierce Impact, Keiai Nautique (4), will make his Australian debut.

George Ryder Stakes winner Think It Over (2) shed his undergo tag in a sensational autumn and should be ready to fire from a handy draw in his first up assignment.

A pair of Cups nominated imports will lead Hawkes Racing’s hunt for more major glory with the classy Master Of Wine (8) joined by Mount Popa (1).

The chances of veteran galloper Dreamforce took a hit after the John Thompson galloper drew barrier 11 with the John Sargent-trained Brandenburg (13) and Bjorn Baker’s She’s Ideel (14) also drawing wide.

The Winx Stakes has a sensational support card with Group 2 Silver Shadow Stakes, Group 3 Show Country Quality and Group 3 Toy Show Quality all drawing strong fields.

Racing is expected to take place on a good track with Randwick rated a Good (4) at acceptance time and clear weather forecast until the weekend.

Sydney Racing - Epsom Day

Kolding will make his return. Photo: Mark Evans/Getty Images

WINX STAKES FIELD – (Number – Horse – Trainer – Jockey – Barrier – Weight)

1 KOLDING (NZ) Chris Waller Tim Clark (10) 59kg

2 THINK IT OVER Kerry Parker Brenton Avdulla (2) 59kg

3 CASCADIAN (GB) James Cummings Hugh Bowman (7) 59kg

4 DREAMFORCE John Thompson Nash Rawiller (11) 59kg

5 IMAGING (GB) Chris Waller Ms Kathy O‘Hara (6) 59kg

6 STAR OF THE SEAS (NZ) Chris Waller Jay Ford (9) 59kg

7 KEIAI NAUTIQUE (JPN) Matthew Smith Glen Boss (4) 59kg

8 MASTER OF WINE (GER) Michael, Wayne & John Hawkes (8) 59kg

9 BRANDENBURG (NZ) John Sargent Ms Rachel King (13) 59kg

10 MOUNT POPA (IRE) Michael, Wayne & John Hawkes (1) 59kg

11 MO’UNGA (NZ) Annabel Neasham Tommy Berry (12) 58.5kg

12 VERRY ELLEEGANT (NZ) Chris Waller James McDonald (5) 57kg

13 SHE’S IDEEL Bjorn Baker Jason Collett (14) 57kg

14 HUNGRY HEART Chris Waller Kerrin McEvoy (3) 56.5kg

Recent winners:
2020 – Verry Elleegant
2019 – Samadoubt
2018 – Winx
2017 – Winx
2016 – Winx

On 8/19/2021 at 2:07 PM, Chief Stipe said:

11 MO’UNGA (NZ) Annabel Neasham Tommy Berry (12) 58.5kg

12 VERRY ELLEEGANT (NZ) Chris Waller James McDonald (5) 57kg

Hope you took your favoured Quinella Chief !!!! sad for Brandenburg, but great return by your Ruakaka winning mare.

Hope they set her for the Melbourne Cup !! she'll eat it up this year. (Verry Elleegant)

24 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Hope you took your favoured Quinella Chief !!!! sad for Brandenburg, but great return by your Ruakaka winning mare.

Hope they set her for the Melbourne Cup !! she'll eat it up this year. (Verry Elleegant)

I did back Mo'unga.  I thought he looked in great order and at 10's was at overs.

The F4 was $32k!!!!  

If Verry Elleegant wins the Melbourne Cup (only needed a better draw last year and would have won!) then you would have to say that she would rank up there with the absolute very best winning Grp 1's over so many distances.

• Like 1

That was a win by Mo'unga , takes a serious horse to take the step up from 3yo to 4yo and win at WFA , and still has his bits , big for Savabeel .

A bit like what Tavistick done for Montjeu , a G1 winner at 1400 in Australia .

What's his worth , probably out of Waikato Studs reach now .

11 hours ago, nomates said:

That was a win by Mo'unga

Tommy Berry rode a terrific race on this bloke , following the great kiwi mare VeeryElleegant all the way and timing his run past her brilliantly. I still feel a fatality is imminent in Sydney Group racing.

They were both planted 3 wide the trip I think, and after watching stewards replays on Racing NSW website, the interference at the back of the field in the Winx stakes was Extreme IMO. They are racing so so so tight in Sydney currently !!!

RIP poor Brandenburg in that race too. (and we're blessed no-one ran over Rachel King) as he broke down and fell inside the 100m post.

Then lo and behold , I saw Tommy Berry in action in the Silver Shadow Stakes , another horse had fallen at that exact spot , just inside 100m to go from Extreme Interference as well , from Tommy forcing a passage (ran 4th) but cutting off Xtremetime , who fell and subsequently was destroyed, and Brenton Avdulla in hospital . (another miracle like King that he wasn't run over. )

Should these race riders be shown some NZ or UK big race footage , where respect (and care) for fellow riders is better than what was being dished up at Royal Randwick on Saturday ???  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gammalite said:

Tommy Berry rode a terrific race on this bloke , following the great kiwi mare VeeryElleegant all the way and timing his run past her brilliantly. I still feel a fatality is imminent in Sydney Group racing.

They were both planted 3 wide the trip I think, and after watching stewards replays on Racing NSW website, the interference at the back of the field in the Winx stakes was Extreme IMO. They are racing so so so tight in Sydney currently !!!

RIP poor Brandenburg in that race too. (and we're blessed no-one ran over Rachel King) as he broke down and fell inside the 100m post.

Then lo and behold , I saw Tommy Berry in action in the Silver Shadow Stakes , another horse had fallen at that exact spot , just inside 100m to go from Extreme Interference as well , from Tommy forcing a passage (ran 4th) but cutting off Xtremetime , who fell and subsequently was destroyed, and Brenton Avdulla in hospital . (another miracle like King that he wasn't run over. )

Should these race riders be shown some NZ or UK big race footage , where respect (and care) for fellow riders is better than what was being dished up at Royal Randwick on Saturday ???  

I was surprised at how handy he raced , had a bet on him so i was chuckling when he got her back , and it takes a good one to get past her in a scrap .

As for some of the interference , backed a horse in the 3rd Canyonero, watch on the turn as he is trying to angle into the clear and watch the rider of the horse outside him , all but leant sideways trying to stop Canyonero getting out . Nothing in stipes report so obviously considered competitive riding over there .

As for watching How Nz riders do it , you clearly don't watch enough of our racing , the standard is very poor , movement and checks every race or all but .

Anther horse that i backed and was impressed with was Private Eye , there's a nice race in him somewhere .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gammalite said:

To be fair @Gammalite when was the last time in NZ or the UK you saw 10 Grp 1 horses within a length of each other at the finish on a good track?

As for the Silver Shadow Stakes you wouldn't have seen a more even race over the complete race distance all day.

The horse that went down didn't help itself - Extremetime had the chance to take the gap but didn't go through it and then when Jamaea went for it she tried to attack Jamaea.

You can see it in the head on.

https://racing.racingnsw.com.au/FreeFields/VideoResult.aspx?MeetDate=2021Aug21&VenueCode=MTg0ODUxMA==&RaceNumber=6&MeetingCategory=Professional&VideoFileType=Stewards

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

Have a look at this head on at about 1:04.  Great News has a real go at savaging Viteuse just after the post.

https://racing.racingnsw.com.au/FreeFields/VideoResult.aspx?MeetDate=2021Aug21&VenueCode=MTg0ODUxMA==&RaceNumber=9&MeetingCategory=Professional&VideoFileType=Stewards

C'mon Chief , that was pretty tame ! Great News barely made contact . That was only fillies and mares race

she was a bit grumpy for a mare in a race , i'll give you that much. 

If you want a real savage clamp on ,complete with some big teeth marks, you need a good Stallion. ! 

Some of those buggers are 'Particularly Mean' , especially if they are in eye-shot of a horse they don't like. They seem to have real 'preferences' about who (what other horse)  they like in their vicinity . SO Si BON used to do it in races occasionally. Try to clamp on to whoever is closest if they see something they don't like at times lol.....  bit like Boay lol.

Edited by Gammalite

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

Have a look at this head on at about 1:04.  Great News has a real go at savaging Viteuse just after the post.

https://racing.racingnsw.com.au/FreeFields/VideoResult.aspx?MeetDate=2021Aug21&VenueCode=MTg0ODUxMA==&RaceNumber=9&MeetingCategory=Professional&VideoFileType=Stewards

Haven't seen that before re during a race or even after it, haha sorry Gamms with Chief on this one. 

Bite I Want Ya GIF by Kevin Hart: What Now?

Edited by Karrotsisback
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Your eyesight failing Gamma?  Was it Empire Rose that had a go at the end of the Melbourne Cup?

You kiwis started all this !!hehe. Here is MY BROWN JUG (possibly raced as Little Brown Jug in NZ) savaging the great MANIKATO !!!

heaven forbid ! trying to hurt the greats of the turf ! 

grumpy kiwis not liking getting beaten ! lol.... Manikato out-stayed him to win this Group 1 CF ORR stakes 1980.

DSC02362.JPG

• Like 1

I used to work for Peter Jones when I left uni...did a bit of clipping for extra money, back in the day.  Do this colt, will ya?  said Peter,  I was suitably wary - Peter didn't let the girls handle the colts - but, he'll be ok, I'll hold him for you..he did, and he was...a black bloke by Godavari.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Freda said:

I used to work for Peter Jones when I left uni...did a bit of clipping for extra money, back in the day.  Do this colt, will ya?  said Peter,  I was suitably wary - Peter didn't let the girls handle the colts - but, he'll be ok, I'll hold him for you..he did, and he was...a black bloke by Godavari.

Hey was that little black colt NZ race-horse of the year for 1979-80 season LITTLE BROWN JUG ?

Do you remember what you thought of him at the time?  ( and I hope he didn't treat you like Manikato lol..)

Edited by Gammalite
add in

Ha...he was just a little black colt, you couldn't predict he was going to be as good he turned out.

I was young and very new to racing, all I knew was that he was quite 'colty'   and Peter didn't allow the girls near him.

But Peter had a number of entires,  he loved them.

Edited by Freda
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Freda said:

Ha...he was just a little black colt, you couldn't predict he was going to be as good he turned out.

I was young and very new to racing, all I knew was that he was quite 'colty'   and Peter didn't allow the girls near him.

But Peter had a number of entires,  he loved them.

Isn't it funny how the Ozzies don't seem to have the same issues with keeping a colt entire whereas in NZ we are quick to cut them for any reason particularly if the get "coltie"!

That said that Mo'unga looks a tough sod but a real gentleman.  Mmmmm what value a Mo'unga x Verry Eleegant yearling?