NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Horses and races that got you hooked?

Gavin

6 minutes ago, Richie said:

Maida million was a great horse,

Was great money back then.When I got my treble I was only earning $90 a week.I bought a nice car but wrote it off after a week with no insurance 

Put it in a ditch early one morning when drunk as a skunk.Stupid f...n idiot was what the old man called me.

When I think of the state my mates and myself got into 30+ years ago and drove our cars we were very lucky, they would lock us up and throw away the key now!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Flagship uberalles said:

Good money Richie, I remember millions and millions think her sister maida million was a pretty good sort. And trevira was a class act.

And Trevira was the horse that beat Young Quinn into second place at Quinnys  first start back after comming back from the States, before going on to the Auckland Cup. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, globederby12 said:

In regards to that, how can we not forget probably the 2nd best horse after the incomparable Cardigan Bay, that great horse Young Quinn, my all time favorite. 

There was a small magazine produced back then with potential winners based on breeding and trial form for both Gallops and Harness. He was given a large wrap in the mag and I backed him at his first start. He duly won , doing it tough,  beating a touted youngster called Marc Bohan. The rest they say is history. Unbeatable on his day, and in 1975 won someting like 19 races including the Miracle Mile from the widest alley at Harold Park. He went on to compete succesfully against Americas best. And incredibly at 10 he competed in the Auckland Cup after only one lead up race after returning from the States and ran 4th. Have a look at the horses in that race and the mind boggles. He was something else. No one for mine has come close, including Lazarus.

Yes, as an ex-Southlander myself, I can certainly appreciate the view that Young Quinn ranks among the very greatest pacers produced in NZ. And certainly the second-best 'internationally-performed' after Cardigan Bay. But, and this is only my opinion, I'd take issue with the claim that no pacer since "has come close". As far as their NZ/Oz racing performances are concerned, I'd say both Christian Cullen and Lazarus have surpassed him. Yes, Young Quinn was absolutely brilliant in 1975, but before that he'd had two goes at the NZ Cup and came up short both times. 

Of course, you might say that Laz had two goes at the MM and failed to deliver on both occasions. But, at least in my view, the NZ Cup ranks a bit higher than the MM. And YQ won his ID on home turf, whereas Laz won it in Perth — where YQ so badly failed in 1974. Then there's CC — with both a Cup and a MM as a 4yo, he could have been unambiguously the best-performed of the three of them, but injury cut short his only ID campaign.

Anyway, all good fun, and there's no right or wrong answer. Only our personal prejudices...?

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Double R said:

Hi Basil,

How would you rate Lunar Chance , Tactile and Robin Dundee? All trained in Southland by small time trainers.

Cheers. 

Robert.

Unfortunately, I'm not quite old enough to remember seeing Tactile and Robin Dundee in the flesh (although I may well have done so). I was a great fan of Lunar Chance in 1975, but he was never really the same after a dismal trip to Auckland at the end of that year. My impression, although this is straining the memory banks, is that of those three horses, Robin Dundee was held in the highest regard round the Southland traps. Their respective records would tend to agree with that assessment.

One would have to think that Robin Dundee has a strong claim to be 3rd-best-ever Southland-produced pacer, behind only the big two of Cardigan Bay and Young Quinn.

11 minutes ago, Basil said:

Unfortunately, I'm not quite old enough to remember seeing Tactile and Robin Dundee in the flesh (although I may well have done so). I was a great fan of Lunar Chance in 1975, but he was never really the same after a dismal trip to Auckland at the end of that year. My impression, although this is straining the memory banks, is that of those three horses, Robin Dundee was held in the highest regard round the Southland traps. Their respective records would tend to agree with that assessment.

One would have to think that Robin Dundee has a strong claim to be 3rd-best-ever Southland-produced pacer, behind only the big two of Cardigan Bay and Young Quinn.

I was a fan of Lunar Chance also but to be fair he was probably lucky to win the NZ Cup as Final Decision lost a hell of a lot of ground breaking at the start and still ran him close.

I think from memory Robin Dundee may have won the first Miracle Mile at Harold Park, although I am glad to say it was before my time.

• Like 1

When I was very young and my mum would put a small amount on for me, the two open class horses I loved were Stella Frost and Hi Foyle.

Both always had something about them and both always tried hard and mostly paid a place dividend.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Brodie said:

When I was very young and my mum would put a small amount on for me, the two open class horses I loved were Stella Frost and Hi Foyle.

Both always had something about them and both always tried hard and mostly paid a place dividend.

Gosh we're talking farthings and shillings with you're bottle of milk before you get into the cot!

• Haha 1

On ‎15‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 11:44 AM, Richie said:

Maida million was a great horse,

Was great money back then.When I got my treble I was only earning $90 a week.I bought a nice car but wrote it off after a week with no insurance 

Put it in a ditch early one morning when drunk as a skunk.Stupid f...n idiot was what the old man called me.

Richie that's what happens when your mates with mr aj scott haha

33 minutes ago, Flagship uberalles said:

Gosh we're talking farthings and shillings with you're bottle of milk before you get into the cot!

Na it was not that long after dollars and cents came in.

Yes I started very young with the punting, with mum putting on the bets at the TAB, handwritten on the yellow or green tickets

Many thousands of people at Addington on a Saturday night, manual totalisator board out the back and mum queueing up to exchange the double ticket for the second leg when you got the first in!

Ah those good old days!

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

2 hours ago, Basil said:

Gosh, Lunar Chance was murdered in some of his races, but keep going. Mostly driver by trainer Keith Lawlor. Very interestingly, in a couple of his latter races, he was driven by Wes Butt and Felix Newfield.

Oh, "the good old days"!!!

Cheers.

Robert.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

Hi Foyle in any other era would have been top dog. He was a very good horse but had to compete against Quinny at his best. Saw Stella run at Hurt Park. Wasnt Robin Dundee by Cardys sire, Hal Tryax. ?

• Like 1

That is an impressive 3yo crop, thats for sure. 

Remember being at Addington the night freightman & malaz deadheated in record time, beating hot pot royden glen. 

Think malaz sat outside royden glen all way, so very good effort. Most horses would do that time now

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

Hi Brodie,

Hi Foyle raced in two  races  at Alexandra Park one night. The Messenger off 24 yards, and the open class, two races later. How about this one though, at Addington in 1973, runs 4th to Young Quinn in the Allan Matson, and then runs 5th in the very next race. Starts off 40 yards over two miles. He certainly was an iron horse.

Cheers.

Robert.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brodie said:

The 1st time I ever went to a race meeting was Show Day 1970. Stella Frost won the FFA that day and it was her that got me hooked on the sport.  She was a great horse and I was gutted when they sent her to the USA. She came back and was bred from but was a failure at stud.  She will always be one of my favourites

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, globederby12 said:

Hi Foyle in any other era would have been top dog. He was a very good horse but had to compete against Quinny at his best. Saw Stella run at Hurt Park. Wasnt Robin Dundee by Cardys sire, Hal Tryax. ?

Hi Rees,

Yes, Robin Dundee was by Hal Tryax.

Cheers.

Robert.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

Used to love this bunch of horses, what a class field. Norton one of my favs, 

76A74C6D-43A6-4284-A5A3-369C5F938CC2.jpeg

And good horses finishing down the track, ansett, maimai...Mel's boy enterprise, hilarious guest portfolio... So many good horses around back then nothing dominated the scene for to long..and the $15 price for Norton unreal

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

What about Royden Glen. That day he galloped on cup day around showground bend, yet still win. 

Backed him in boranas cup, im still dirty on it?

I backed Borana for a place in that cup. If you look st his run in the Auckland cup the year before he was a very unlucky 4th and Peter Jones was very good at peaking him for big races.  Loved Royden Glen also and bred a mare to him convinced he was the next big thing but apart from Lyall Creek he didn’t fire at all

• Like 2

Since we are showing fields, I used to love these horses. The way O'Meara presented his horses gave the impression they were from a different planet. Best thing was these horses all had their day and it was such a contest. Excitement plus the days of good crowds. They all battled it out for age group races too. Name me a bunny in that field!

image.png.f82a1b37550fc094ca8ab90def207e2c.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Double R said:

Hi Brodie,

Hi Foyle raced in two  races  at Alexandra Park one night. The Messenger off 24 yards, and the open class, two races later. How about this one though, at Addington in 1973, runs 4th to Young Quinn in the Allan Matson, and then runs 5th in the very next race. Starts off 40 yards over two miles. He certainly was an iron horse.

Cheers.

Robert.

Hi Robert,

Yes He was a real iron horse!

He wore the shadow roll and wasn’t that big but compact, and tried hard every start.

Ran a lot of placing in the open class races, but do not think that he won any of the big big races.

2 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Since we are showing fields, I used to love these horses. The way O'Meara presented his horses gave the impression they were from a different planet. Best thing was these horses all had their day and it was such a contest. Excitement plus the days of good crowds. They all battled it out for age group races too. Name me a bunny in that field!

image.png.f82a1b37550fc094ca8ab90def207e2c.png

That race run in March 1986, so 32 years ago and they were racing for 45k and compare that to what the training fees and costs would’ve been back then to training fees and stakes today!!!

What chance have you got of making enough money to make it pay nowadays and when you are racing horses that have mainly therapeutic blood work!!

Doubt also that in March that you would get a field of 14 horses as half the field would come from one stable!

How things have changed and certainly not for the betterment of the harness industry, but then there are some knobs that think differently, but they have a hidden agenda haven’t they?

• Like 1