Bit Of A Yarn

RACING AT HATRICK SUSPENDED IMMEDIATELY

Taupiri Wonder

3 hours ago, BitofaLegend said:

Funny trainers have had issues with this track for years with little lee way given but as soon as the media pick up on it, they react right away

Spot on.

Welfare & injury prevention have never been at the forefront of GRNZ's concerns. With their words they have been but with their actions it's been anything but.

Once upon a time they put up a new plastic rail at Wanganui to help protect dogs from the actual rail. Nothing was done there after to any other tracks except removing some of it from Wanganui.

Once upon a time at Addington, they put a new lure arm which reached out further from the rail. Why hasn't that been rolled out to the rest of the tracks?

What happened to the camera on the lure arm at Palmy? Valuable intel would have been generated by it. Did anyone at GRNZ actually look at was was happening from that angle during the races?

Who's brilliant idea was it to start races on a corner?

Look at the foot prints on the track made by the #1 dog in this race because it ran to where he lure was when the boxes popped open. It's focus is 100% on the lure.

image.thumb.png.dad955b67297a0c4e23e82acad577a09.png

A bit further on and still 100% focus. Can anyone predict what's going to happen next to the #1?

image.thumb.png.d6ba9f9c03b9fe4a65b059ccbd2152d0.png

Lure still has the #1's complete focus. This isn't looking very safe, is it?

image.thumb.png.1e1ccdd1945af6671a38cd5286c01e83.png

#1's doing exactly what it's been trained to do & this is it's reward.

image.thumb.png.33ca5727046cab780d808a338f0844a2.png

Luckily no injuries were reported in the Stewards report, this time.....

Full Race Replay

I'm pleased as it will hopefully fix the track properly, but I,m also devastated as will every trainer and all staff affected.

If they were to dig it up and put down the right sand for our climate and get the cambers right or maybe  a grass track is a better option? (Bundaberg has grass and looks great as does Hawera and others in Australia)

If they invest the money and do it properly it will rate very well in the eyes of Grant Robertson and the public.

I feel for the trainers that have to travel the extra distance to Palmerston to trial or the ones that now can't because they have day jobs and Sunday was their day of (how do they now trial?)

Some trainers also only race at Wanganui or mostly race at Wanganui,  this is devastating for them.

I hope all trainers can hold on and not throw it in.

Most importantly a speedy fix to Hatrick.

Also how many abandoned meetings was our expert Nigel present at? how did they happen on his watch?

• Like 1

Can someone please let me know how can a meeting get called off due to track conditions but yet allowed to run trials before hand like come on surely if the stipes were on to it with their inspection should of been called of before trials or are they pushing there luck with not alot of knowledge behind them to make this call do nzgra need to get real professional help as I feel they are taking a backward step

• Like 3

Another question I would love to know I was a trainer for many years and sometimes I was un happy with the track conditions and was told to run or a fine and 28 days after dogs were injured  on a track I wasn't happy to run on do you feel that if a trainer is unhappy to run they should be aloud to scr penalty free as of horses if a change of track conditions I feel that nzgra tell alot of lies and are telling false information as I've caught them out on my Pablo 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nathanu said:

Can someone please let me know how can a meeting get called off due to track conditions but yet allowed to run trials before hand

Here's my take.

1. Trials are not televised. Therefore if ugly things happen during them pretty much no-one knows about it other than maybe a blip in the Stewards report.
  2. The trials prior to a race meeting are sometimes actually guinea pigs running around the track (see #1).
  3. If issues with the track were detected today during the trials, noting is publicly recorded about it as the entire meeting was abandoned. Any injuries sustained will not be recorded as racing or "raceday" injuries.

Every number "padded" by how things are recorded is a better look when the Crown or anti's come knocking.

• Champ Post 1

19 hours ago, Nathanu said:

Another question I would love to know I was a trainer for many years and sometimes I was un happy with the track conditions and was told to run or a fine and 28 days after dogs were injured  on a track I wasn't happy to run on do you feel that if a trainer is unhappy to run they should be aloud to scr penalty free as of horses if a change of track conditions I feel that nzgra tell alot of lies and are telling false information as I've caught them out on my Pablo 

I agree 100% with that approach.  You are a professional trainer who has their dogs welfare and longevity as paramount.  

• Like 1

I sure hope this works out better than it reads like it might do on paper.

https://www.grnz.co.nz/News/2761/Dr-Michelle-Ledger-reviewing-Hatrick-Raceway

I never would have guessed that an overseas Vet would be the ideal placement in doing the job of a landscape or civil engineer. The way a track should be structured is already well documented, so do we really need a Vet to step out of their comfort zone & redesign the wheel?

I'd normally say that GRNZ could do far better but I don't believe this current lot of brass can. I reckon they're just doing "something" to tick a box.

On 10/11/2021 at 4:18 PM, Yankiwi said:

I sure hope this works out better than it reads like it might do on paper.

https://www.grnz.co.nz/News/2761/Dr-Michelle-Ledger-reviewing-Hatrick-Raceway

I never would have guessed that an overseas Vet would be the ideal placement in doing the job of a landscape or civil engineer. The way a track should be structured is already well documented, so do we really need a Vet to step out of their comfort zone & redesign the wheel?

I'd normally say that GRNZ could do far better but I don't believe this current lot of brass can. I reckon they're just doing "something" to tick a box.

They also have 2 others involved as stated in article, 1 been the original builder, so I'm guessing he will look at depth of sand and the base condition plus many other aspects. Give them all a chance, hopefully they aren't just ticking the box. Time will tell and hopefully not to much time but it's worth time to get it right.

On 10/4/2021 at 6:17 PM, Nathanu said:

Totally agree Nathan, I also have raised the same many times then cringed at dogs running, praying none got hurt. I see in the pending investigation at Hatrick also states they will look at Curator capability, the newest Curator resigned so they can't look at him now. I sure hope they can get it right. Palmy seems to be heading in the right direction now.