Bit Of A Yarn

From gambling to control of our Health

Rob Campbell from chairman Sky City to chairman Health Authority. One can quite rightly argue that Sky City gambling isn't exactly conducive to good health. I like gambling on horses but that doesn't mean I would support someone like Dean McKenzie running health.

It will be interesting watching two ambulances racing around the racetrack. One ambulance for Maori jockeys and another for Pakeha.

This new Health scheme from Labour is racially discriminatory, divisive, unneeded and inefficient. From a long time Labour voter I can't now support them. Sure there are areas that Maori health can be targeted but this is all about prioritising along with creating duplication of jobs.

• Like 3
  • Champ Post 1
  • Fake News! 1

The sense of the ridiculous assails me here.    While I have no problems with aspects of primary care being targeted to those vulnerable communities which may otherwise get left behind, what happens in the case of serious illness or accident?

Does the Maori patient with failing kidneys get dialysis in a Maori hospital or a Pakeha one?   What about the victims of serious accidents...do they stay, mangled, on a trolley while decisions are made where to put them?  Where does surgery get carried out?   Will there be a need for, say,  Maori orthopaedic surgeons ?  and what if there aren't any? What about Pasifika people?   Chinese?  Indian?  where do they fit?

I'm just gobsmacked.

• Like 1

I don't know why anyone is surprised , tell me a country where politicians have any F@#king idea . It's not great here but you just have to look around the world at the big countries to see how F@#ked up the world is , they make NZ look like nirvana , I mean who would give these idiots that are the leaders of the free world an ice cream cart to run .

I can't be bothered getting stressed about this crap anymore , no one listens , we only have top look at our own industry to see that the people at the top don't really have a clue , it's the same in the real world . When someone like John Allen continues to bounce from one top earning public position to another with no consequence or responsibility then what hope is there for the small man ,and there are thousands like him that are positions that dictate every day life . 

I have too few years left to worry about it , the ones i feel for are the younger generation , but even they have their share of dickhead problems that they are creating .

Don't worry , be happy .

• Champ Post 2

12 hours ago, Huey said:

It will break the back of both systems , one financially & the other through sheer greed & incompetence.

I listened to Peeni Henare (asoc health minister) on Maori Radio this morning. Now I quite often listen to Maori radio because you get news segments in straight English and not the annoying radio NZ breakouts into Maori every few minutes on morning or midday report.

What I heard from Peeni was shocking. The discussion was about funding the new Labour "Maori Health" settup. He admitted that ongoing funding would be the problem. The intention is to take out of the existing health budget about 25% and put it into these new ventures. The intention is to settup Maori "well being" centres and after those then move into the existing health structure to make them Maori focused.

Taking funding away from the already under funded system means many people victims of the wealth gap won't receive any health care at all. Thats the only logical conclusion. I might add that in the seven decades on this planet I have never witnessed any discrimination against Maori. The sometimes corrupt legal system affects all types of people. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Teina Pora comes to mind...I have to say, though, that in a personal sense, neither have I.

There were two Maori families who had kids at my small local primary school.

One family had a bunch of tough, hard case kids, and I wasn't allowed to play with them. 

The other family had quiet, well behaved children, and Mother was fine with me playing with them after school.

The Maori side of things never came into it.

Years ago I know,  nothing has changed in my own experience....but, I must be terribly misled.

Taika Waititi says we are a very racist country.  So I guess we must be.

Edited by Freda
  • Like 1