Bit Of A Yarn

Locharburn is Back

Happy Sunrise

See he is nominated for Rangiora.

Now 7 years old, he is an old-time type of horse that has been through all sorts of injury. His effort to sit parked in the NZ Derby he won never gets the credit it deserves. If it wasn't for injuries he could have been anything as he was so tough.

In this day and age of age group pacers and ones sold off overseas, he is almost a legend in my eyes. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

I think only reason still trying is trainer is the owner, dont think anyone else would pay trainer knowing little chance of winning

Maybe they should have sold the family favourite to the States to be passed around trainers and driven into the ground with no finish in sight and a home either....?

Doubt that the case here.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Maybe they should have sold the family favourite to the States to be passed around trainers and driven into the ground with no finish in sight and a home either....?

Doubt that the case here.

Would be nice to see him get back to his best, adds some interest and a bit of a draw card to rangiora.

• Like 1

Locharburn would’ve been one of better ones if he had stayed sound.

Big strong horse as a 3 year old but always appeared to be a. Bit unsound even when he was winning, as he would go rough at times

Would be an amazing effort if he was to get back and start winning but hard to see with his past problems 

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 4

Nominated to find out what sort of rating he would receive - comes back as a rating 110. 

On the comeback from injury with the times they run these days, a 30m handicap would have been a tough ask for a horse who gives 100% every time he comes to the races. 

Interesting that of all the programmes currently upload on the hrnz website for the next month or so - there are only two races available for him in the South Island and both are unsuitable. 

Trials this afternoon at Rangiora. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Counter Punch said:

there are only two races available for him in the South Island and both are unsuitable. 

I would like to say that is not surprising given the time of the year but it runs into the middle of August.

Any thoughts on the concept of horses coming back from long-term injuries get relief in the ratings?

At 110, he has little chance given his injuries and time away. Could he be re-rated to say 90 to make him competitive again? If he were to win he could be bumped up pretty quickly again.

This wouldn't affect many horses, just the very good ones who are persevered with. I don't see any harm in it until someone points out the flaws?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

I would like to say that is not surprising given the time of the year but it runs into the middle of August.

Any thoughts on the concept of horses coming back from long-term injuries get relief in the ratings?

At 110, he has little chance given his injuries and time away. Could he be re-rated to say 90 to make him competitive again? If he were to win he could be bumped up pretty quickly again.

This wouldn't affect many horses, just the very good ones who are persevered with. I don't see any harm in it until someone points out the flaws?

I guess the only way for the rating to come down now is poor performances, I'm surprised he is still rated that high, his form was not inspiring before his injury in 2017.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Flagship uberalles said:

I guess the only way for the rating to come down now is poor performances, I'm surprised he is still rated that high, his form was not inspiring before his injury in 2017.

For his record where he was always placing his 7,8 or 9 starts have yielded nothing. Still 110? It's a tough world.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

For his record where he was always placing his 7,8 or 9 starts have yielded nothing. Still 110? It's a tough world.

Shows how good he was early in his career. If you had bothered too look up his rating record you would realise he was at one stage rated 120 and had dropped a point every start he's had since the points system came in. 

This points system penalises the good horses and only suits the not so good ones. Which is why we have seen so many intermediate pacers cash in instead of racing All Stars gorillas.

• Champ Post 1

• 4 months later...

Off to Australia for mile racing. Wow.

That will be interesting to see if those legs of his can still sprint.

Brilliantly talented horse whose win in the NZ Derby should be remembered for a long time. Shame he never had a true crack at the NZ Cup because there were fewer tougher. 

NZ can't seem to keep any type of horse now but Locharburn doesn't have a future in NZ with his age and rating. I hope he goes super over there.

Locharburn headed to Tritton

19 November 2018

By Adam Hamilton

CLASSY Kiwi pacer Locharburn is heading to NSW to continue his career.

The son of Christian Cullen will be flown to Sydney to join Shane and Lauren Tritton’s stable and be aimed at the Miracle Mile.

Owner-trainer Kevin Chapman said it would be an emotional time when Locharburn left the barn for Sydney on Friday.

“He’s part of the family, but it’s the right thing to do for him. So much work has gone into getting him back from a tendon and a suspensory. He’s really well now, but he can only run in the best races here,” he said.

“He’s also not suited to how the races are run here, just sit-up and sprint home. He can run back-to-back 57sec halves, but not a 59sec and a 54sec.

“He also hates Auckland. I know he’s run some good races there as a younger horse, but he just doesn’t go anywhere near as well the opposite way.”

Chapman said he chose Tritton because of his record rejuvenating older horses the “drop-back” handicapping system at Menangle.

“Shane says they can earn $60,000 a year at Menangle without having to beat the best ones,” Chapman said. “It would be great to see the horse drop back in class and find winning form again.

Tritton can’t wait for Locharburn to join the barn.

“He’s a really serious horse at his top and I reckon he’ll love the Menangle mile racing,” he said.

“It’s a real buzz for us that Kevin’s decided to send him across and give us a go with him.

“He’s a bit like Franco Nelson when he came to us. He’s had his issues, but our system here seems to get the best out of these older horses.

“We’re really looking forward to getting him across and into our system.”

Locharburn’s 39 starts have netted 14 wins, eight seconds a third.

He was a superstar at three, winning the NZ Derby and finishing second to Tiger Tara in the Northern Derby and second to Isaiah in the NZ Sales Series’ final.

As an older horse, Locharburn’s best win came in the 2016 Eastern Cup at Group 1 level, beating Smolda.

9 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Off to Australia for mile racing. Wow.

Good on them for sending their "pet" Locharburn to aus. He is now not competetive in NZ and as Tritton says the system over there assists horses to find their grade and get a return.  The Chapmans will still own hin so if it doesnt work out he will come back to retire Im sure. 

It will be interesting to see how he is driven because as we know Tritton horses seem to know only one way to run. In front fast and try and outstay their rivals. This may suit Loch but 1/does he have gate speed and 2/will they be able to get a little more speed out of him over the final half.  We all know he can stay but even today at a lowly Menangle meeting the two better races came home in 55 sec which according to Chapman the Loch carnt do. 

Will be watching with interest and good luck to them

• Like 2