Bit Of A Yarn

Here we go again!

Taku Umanga

Peter Profit aka Archie Butterfly aka Brenden Sheehan may have crossed the line this time with regard to his posts regarding Woodend.

Now I'm no fan of Gary Woodham as a racing administrator but I know people who I respect that have a high opinion of him as a person.

Peter Profit has in recent days proceeded to impugn the character of both Woodham and Fitzgerald.  I know what I would be doing if I was either of them.  

Now if I wrote in the style of Peter Proft I'd say "watch this space"!

• Champ Post 1

54 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Peter Profit aka Archie Butterfly aka Brenden Sheehan may have crossed the line this time with regard to his posts regarding Woodend.

Now I'm no fan of Gary Woodham as a racing administrator but I know people who I respect that have a high opinion of him as a person.

Peter Profit has in recent days proceeded to impugn the character of both Woodham and Fitzgerald.  I know what I would be doing if I was either of them.  

Now if I wrote in the style of Peter Proft I'd say "watch this space"!

ajbutterflyracing.  that's his twitter handle, he's still going at it on twitter, he's determined I'll give him that, he has attacked several thoroughbred people over the years but by gee he's into the AKL trotting club at the moment.

Off piste a tad, however, he was molested as a kid at school and I seriously believe that's why he is the way he is.......and for that I shall forgive his foibles........

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Off piste a tad, however, he was molested as a kid at school and I seriously believe that's why he is the way he is.......and for that I shall forgive his foibles........

Assumung that's true it is only a reason not an excuse.  However it doesn't justify scumbag journalism (a stretch to call it journalism) where he infers that innocent people are cheating without providing any evidence.

As I said above I hope Woodham and Fitzgerald nail him.  HRNZ have a duty to protect and defend their employees and licensee's.  Now watch this space.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, LongOwner said:

What's the go here?

By Taku Umanga,
July 17 in Trotting Chat

Taku why no comment on this case/RIU scrathings - pre races - you posted on the 17th July with same characteristics as the headline post this Saturday morning "Here we go Again" ?

Because I have no idea what's going on - hence the question mark(s).  

Harness racing horse suspected of being administered prohibited substance

14:41, Dec 12 2021

Johnny Nevits was a late scratch on Friday night after a stable inspection by racing investigators. (File photo)
ALDEN WILLIAMS/STUFF
Johnny Nevits was a late scratch on Friday night after a stable inspection by racing investigators. (File photo)

A harness racing horse is suspected of being administered a prohibited substance for the second time in a year.

Johnny Nevits was a late scratch at the New Zealand Metropolitan Trotting Club’s meet at Addington Raceway on Friday night.

A Stipendiary Stewards report said Racing Integrity Board (RIB) investigators completed a stable inspection at the training premises of harness racing trainer and junior driver Cameron Jones on Friday.

Acting on a report by the RIB, stewards ordered Johnny Nevits to be scratched from race two acting under rule 213 (1) (c).

That rule relates to horses that have had or may have had a prohibited substance administered. Under harness racing rules horses are not allowed to be administered any substance on race day.

An investigation has been opened into the incident, with pre-race blood testing having been carried out.

Harness Racing NZ chief executive Gary Woodham declined to comment and said he had only seen the Stewards’ report.

Stuff was unable to reach Jones for comment.

The horse was one of two horses injected by disgraced harness racing trainer Jesse Alford earlier this year.

Jesse Alford was banned for seven years in May after he was caught in a covert sting operation injecting two horses with a prohibited substance on race day.
CHRIS SKELTON/STUFF
Jesse Alford was banned for seven years in May after he was caught in a covert sting operation injecting two horses with a prohibited substance on race day.

Alford was banned for seven years after he was caught red-handed on February 25 as he injected two horses, Johnny Nevits and Jimmy Cannon, with a substance and tried to tube Johnny Nevits – two hours before they were due to race at Addington Raceway.

Tubing is an illegal process that allows a chemical solution to be administered to a horse to improve its stamina.

Johnny Nevits was transferred to Jones’ Woodend training facility after the doping scandal.

Jones has 15 wins from 59 starts as a trainer this year with stakes of just over $100,000.

Star harness racing trainer Mitchell Kerr was banned for life in May as he was sentenced on four charges laid by the RIU, that he sold a non-existent horse and then charged its new owners for expenses, oversold shares in horses he trained, and charged its owners insurance premiums for non-existent policies.

The estimated loss to Kerr’s victims is about $250,000, and police are investigating.

In July last year, prominent Canterbury harness racing figure Nigel McGrath was disqualified from holding a training licence for eight years after attempting to dope horses.

McGrath, who had trained for 20 years and had 570 wins worth $6 million in stake money for his horses’ owners, admitted three charges laid by the RIU, though he disputed the facts on two of them.

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

His performance at the TAB was below average in my opinion.  

Do you have a contrary view?

What has improved under his control at HRNZ?

Seems odd that he knows less than the Stewards in most of the scratchings.

agree with what your saying .to be a stipe you can not have a ownership in any horse . so top job at Hrnz  you can why is this?

But doesn't the minimal statements from the RIB and the Stewards and the total lack of any comment of substance from HRNZ fuel the conjecture?

I thought the statement from Fitzgerald was good but surely that could have been backed up by HRNZ or even a statement reinforcing that it only concerns Jones, Johnny Nevits and the stable inspection and that anything else was false?

I realise it is now a well abused meaningless phrase but wouldn't it help if the RIB were more "open and transparent"?

Seems to me that the clean up and change of culture at the RIB either hasn't started yet or isn't going to happen.

• Like 2

Peter Profit aka Archie Butterfly is a scumbag idiot.

He's inferring that Epogen (human EPO) is the drug of choice at Woodend and then talks about Jones being caught with a syringe ready to inject presumably Johnny Nevits.

Well a quick search on the internet shows it takes 2 to 6 weeks for Epogen to generate any extra red blood cells.  Johnny Nevits must be physiologically a very unique horse!

@Joe Bloggs is this Peter Proft way off grid or does he have a body guard?

11 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Peter Profit aka Archie Butterfly is a scumbag idiot.

He's inferring that Epogen (human EPO) is the drug of choice at Woodend and then talks about Jones being caught with a syringe ready to inject presumably Johnny Nevits.

Well a quick search on the internet shows it takes 2 to 6 weeks for Epogen to generate any extra red blood cells.  Johnny Nevits must be physiologically a very unique horse!

@Joe Bloggs is this Peter Proft way off grid or does he have a body guard?

He's had so many death threats he lives inland from Cairns as far as I know, he's quite open about the death threats, his first love is the red hots, and I'm in no way defending him, I'm saying generally where there is smoke there is fire, he's been on the money with some revelations and he's chucked about so many that it's a wonder he's not been stopped by the Feds.......or sued. Whatever happened to the 'cease and desist'?  How he gets his info on NZ is beyond me, but someone is feeding him and the NZ feds need to do something as if it's not true it's defaming to the highest order.

1 minute ago, Joe Bloggs said:

How he gets his info on NZ is beyond me, but someone is feeding him and the NZ feds need to do something as if it's not true it's defaming to the highest order.

Going on past rumours it is probably the NZ Feds that are feeding him or rather a very small group of them.  

• Like 2

What I don't get is that the new RIB was touted as being a new broom, a new era of transparency, openess and clarity.

Yet there have been no new press releases on their website since the announcement of the ex-Deputy Police Commissioner Clement as the new CEO in June.

Sure we see the publication of the JCA judgements but nothing more.  

How frigging hard is it for them to post a press release on their site that clarifies what has happened, what happens next and how long it will take?

That simple step would stop a whole lot of speculation.  Although it appears they do talk directly to the odd journalist or three.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

The RIB is also determining whether charges will be laid after a horse was suspected of being administered with a prohibited substance before being scratched from a race at Addington last Friday.

Johnny Nevits, one of two horses injected with embalming fluid by disgraced former trainer Jesse Alford earlier this year, was scheduled to run in a New Zealand Metropolitan Trotting Club meeting.

However, the horse was scratched after RIB investigators raided the Woodend headquarters of trainer and junior driver Cam Jones, who took over the care of Johnny Nevits after Alford was banned for seven years in May.

Johnny Nevits was scratched by stewards under rule of racing 213 (1) (c), which relates to horses that have had or may have had a prohibited substance administered.

Under HRNZ rules horses are not allowed to be administered any substance on race day.

The Star understands a syringe was found by investigators and it is believed another harness racing trainer was at the stables at the time and is assisting with the inquiry.

He hung up when called by The Star for comment.

RIB chief executive Mike Clement would not comment on specifics of the investigation.

“When the investigation is complete a decision will be made in respect of the basis for any charge under the racing rules,” he said.

45 minutes ago, Robalan said:

It's absolute rubbish and a slur on the character of all the honest, hard working trainers at Woodend. There is only one trainer under investigation at the moment and that's Cam Jones

So the scumbag excuse for a journalist Peter Profit is making up shit?

I see Johnny Nevits has a start in race 5 at Ashburton on Thursday.

I don't think it's a slur on honest Trainers. Stipes/stewards doing random inspection you would think would be expected to happen, (on days they're not required at the races) Esp,  after the Alford and McGrath cases. Stable inspections are common around Australia , and are helpful in maintaining the honesty everyone seems to want (and yet think isn't there ).. and If nothing to hide (like DQ people being on the premises lol..) , nothing to fear ?

Personally i don't like the sort of 'Invasion of Privacy' one has on their own land /property so withdrew application to be a Vic Stipe, as didn't want to do the stable raids. Picking races apart is much more enjoyable activity 😃

• Like 1