Bit Of A Yarn

Magic Millions Yearling Sale - Live Streaming

37 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

So much for American Sires not having any currency down under.  Filly by Justify (USA) just sold for $900k.

American Pharoah's sold for much more , so far in Aus in 2 season's he has 1 G3 winner , i think there is a few owners chasing their cash .

American dirt horses have in the main struggled in the Southern Hemisphere .

2 minutes ago, nomates said:

American Pharoah's sold for much more , so far in Aus in 2 season's he has 1 G3 winner , i think there is a few owners chasing their cash .

American dirt horses have in the main struggled in the Southern Hemisphere .

The "Experts" are spending money on them.  Must be a reason.  Makes the previous fad cheaper!

I've said it before and I'll say it again.......MM is schoolies for adults, if you don't know what schoolies is, google it!......the booze has kicked in now, mines bigger than yours.

MM is a giant wank, the real sale is Sydney summer, where all the smart money goes, the Autumn sale is just a pedigree page fest.......Interestingly Mark Walker/Ellis bought Lot 9, Exceed and Excel colt.

it's only 5min from me, but I'm not there.......no room for the unvaxxed......so my millions will be saved for Karaka [just kidding].    

1 minute ago, Joe Bloggs said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again.......MM is schoolies for adults, if you don't know what schoolies is, google it!......the booze has kicked in now, mines bigger than yours.

MM is a giant wank, the real sale is Sydney summer, where all the smart money goes, the Autumn sale is just a pedigree page fest.......Interestingly Mark Walker/Ellis bought Lot 9, Exceed and Excel colt.

it's only 5min from me, but I'm not there.......no room for the unvaxxed......so my millions will be saved for Karaka [just kidding].    

Well if MM "is a giant wank" then the other sales are going to be orgasmic.

• Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

The "Experts" are spending money on them.  Must be a reason.  Makes the previous fad cheaper!

Now i know you have been around long enough to know that the " Experts " buy in bulk with other peoples money most of the time , we only ever hear the success stories  , just like the guys who buy at the bottom end and get a good one .

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nomates said:

Now i know you have been around long enough to know that the " Experts " buy in bulk with other peoples money most of the time , we only ever hear the success stories  , just like the guys who buy at the bottom end and get a good one .

Well Ciaron Maher must have an open cheque book considering this is the first sale of the year.

Shall we have a competition - select 5 or 10 yearlings and see who wins the most in stakes.  I'm sure @Joe Bloggs will want to test his skill.

Well Ciaron Maher must have an open cheque book considering this is the first sale of the year.

Shall we have a competition - select 5 or 10 yearlings and see who wins the most in stakes.  I'm sure @Joe Bloggs will want to test his skill.

You going to pay all air fares and accommodations plus expenses , i would want inspect them myself .

If yes i'm in .

Seriously it's lotto buying yearlings at the top end , Te Akau shows with their top end purchases that it's a tough world to select top class horses when they are only 1 year old .

11 hours ago, nomates said:

You going to pay all air fares and accommodations plus expenses , i would want inspect them myself .

If yes i'm in .

Seriously it's lotto buying yearlings at the top end , Te Akau shows with their top end purchases that it's a tough world to select top class horses when they are only 1 year old .

Is it really Lotto?  Some are better judges than others.

Look fella's, gals, it's pretty easy to pick a good horse when you're splashing megabucks about, you've gotta be pretty unlucky if you spend a couple of mil, 10 mil in some cases and not get a good horse......having said that, Nomates is right of course, you only hear about the 'lucky ones'......the ROI for most would be abysmal.

The car park is chockers! You can pick the bloodstock agents cars a mile off, now aint that strange.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

No Lotto is cheaper to play . Ever read about Robert Sangster and his mates , in the 80's started buying all the best bred yearling colts in the northern hemisphere , paid millions for most of them , their theory , if they can get a couple of the best of their crop , guineas/derby winners , syndicated they get truck loads back . Great read . But why didn't they just earmark the ones that were going to win the big races ????

Gai Waterhouse used to buy 200+ yearlings every year , and whilst she won many of the top 2yo races , many of the purchases never saw a race track , broken down , too slow . So why did she buy so many when she could have just bought the top ones . It's a numbers game , everybody can see the pedigrees and look and see a great type , but no one , and i mean no one knows what is inside the animal .

If your girl friend VE had gone thru a yearling sale what do you reckon she would have gone for , she was born to be a champion , so everybody would have seen that surely , 1,2,3 million at least . Yet most of the horses that get sold for that amount come to nothing .

It's easy looking at the page and the animal .

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, nomates said:

No Lotto is cheaper to play . Ever read about Robert Sangster and his mates , in the 80's started buying all the best bred yearling colts in the northern hemisphere , paid millions for most of them , their theory , if they can get a couple of the best of their crop , guineas/derby winners , syndicated they get truck loads back . Great read . But why didn't they just earmark the ones that were going to win the big races ????

Gai Waterhouse used to buy 200+ yearlings every year , and whilst she won many of the top 2yo races , many of the purchases never saw a race track , broken down , too slow . So why did she buy so many when she could have just bought the top ones . It's a numbers game , everybody can see the pedigrees and look and see a great type , but no one , and i mean no one knows what is inside the animal .

If your girl friend VE had gone thru a yearling sale what do you reckon she would have gone for , she was born to be a champion , so everybody would have seen that surely , 1,2,3 million at least . Yet most of the horses that get sold for that amount come to nothing .

It's easy looking at the page and the animal .

As I said some are better judges than others.

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, nomates said:

Tell me the last sale topper anywhere that was a champ .

You are making the incorrect assumption that the sale toppers are the best.  Inevitably they are the best bred and best looking in terms of type and conformation.  Top money is paid because if they are successful on the race track their residual value is considerable.

But there are some good judges that buy lower in the market - generally on type who have more than average success.

6 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

You are making the incorrect assumption that the sale toppers are the best.  Inevitably they are the best bred and best looking in terms of type and conformation.  Top money is paid because if they are successful on the race track their residual value is considerable.

But there are some good judges that buy lower in the market - generally on type who have more than average success.

I must be a good judge , bought a weanling for $1400 sold for 100k as a 2yo , another for $1500 sold for 80k as a 2yo , bought a mare for $200 in foal , sold the resulting foal for 60k as a 3yo , these 3 in the space of 4 years , then paid $1200 for a weanling who's half brother won 2 x G3 at the Brissy carnival and a G2 in Sydney the next spring 18 months after i bought him . Could go on , probably bought another 15 either side of those , a good judge or working the numbers .

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, nomates said:

I must be a good judge , bought a weanling for $1400 sold for 100k as a 2yo , another for $1500 sold for 80k as a 2yo , bought a mare for $200 in foal , sold the resulting foal for 60k as a 3yo , these 3 in the space of 4 years , then paid $1200 for a weanling who's half brother won 2 x G3 at the Brissy carnival and a G2 in Sydney the next spring 18 months after i bought him . Could go on , probably bought another 15 either side of those , a good judge or working the numbers .

Cmon down Mr Rutten......you've been outed!

• Haha 1