Bit Of A Yarn

Whip Rule Guidelines and Penalties to be changed this week: What will change?

Racing: Whip rules to be reviewed after heated week

3 minutes to read
Opie Bosson recently copped a six-meeting suspension for whip use. Photo / Photosport

Opie Bosson recently copped a six-meeting suspension for whip use. Photo / Photosport

Thoroughbred racing's controversial whip penalties are to be reviewed, with changes likely after a heated week.

New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing brought in new sentencing guidelines for whip use in September, and it has been the Racing Integrity Board's job to enforce them, but few could have foreseen the furore they have caused.

The main concerns for jockeys, and also trainers trying to book the best jockeys for their horses, have been suspensions for repetitive infringement, even when those infringements don't warrant suspension.

With New Zealand's senior riding ranks containing few big turnover-attracting jockeys, suspensions have also perplexed club officials who want the elite jockeys riding on Group 1 days.

The sentencing guidelines failed their most high-profile test at Ellerslie on January 9, when Opie Bosson was suspended for six meetings for his ride on The Perfect Pink because he used the whip on her in consecutive strides, even though he used it only four times in the race.

The decision of the adjudicating panel in suspending Bosson was based on three prior whip sentences inside a six-month period, so was heavily influenced by NZTR's sentencing guidelines, even though Bosson's ride clearly did not warrant a six-meeting suspension, especially when that meant missing a Group 1 day.

NZTR chief executive Bernard Saundry admitted to the Herald the guidelines need reviewing and that his organisation has received a lot of negative feedback, considerably more since the Bosson suspension.

• Haha 1

Contrary to what some online commentators are saying the review and changes is not being driven by Te Akau.  A number of prominent trainers have expressed their concerns as have some Senior Jockeys.  Not to mention the RIB seeking changes to remove the ambiguity.

So what will the changes be?

• Fake News! 1

4 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

NZTR chief executive Bernard Saundry admitted to the Herald the guidelines need reviewing and that his organisation has received a lot of negative feedback, considerably more since the Bosson suspension.

My hope is that the aggrieved jockeys take a 7-figure class action against NZTR for taking money under false pretense.

The only way to outlaw whip use was to ban them but the Petone thieves condoned them and then went after jockey's who used them.

If you exceed the speed limit in a car the authorities give you from 5 - 10k grace, if you hit a horse once too many with a feather duster you are hung, drawn and quartered.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, billy connolly said:

My hope is that the aggrieved jockeys take a 7-figure class action against NZTR for taking money under false pretense.

The only way to outlaw whip use was to ban them but the Petone thieves condoned them and then went after jockey's who used them.

If you exceed the speed limit in a car the authorities give you from 5 - 10k grace, if you hit a horse once too many with a feather duster you are hung, drawn and quartered.

I agree.  It cost Elliot $2k in fines for each strike over 5.  Doesn't include his 8 days of lost riding fees and stakes.

I see Allpress got her allowed 5 in but elected to ride hands and heels inside the 100m.

• Haha 1

There is one way to make sure the rider's adhere to the current whip rules.

Allow a protest to be actioned by the runner up if their rider rode under the rules.

Roch 'N' Horses connections were unable to lodge a protest because the rules didn't allow it. 

Overall I disagree with all the namby pamby whip rules. Flagrant flogging of a horse fair enough fine and suspend them but five times before the 100m and then only every second stride from there on is just rubbish. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, All The Aces said:

Overall I disagree with all the namby pamby whip rules. Flagrant flogging of a horse fair enough fine and suspend them but five times before the 100m and then only every second stride from there on is just rubbish. 

I agree.  I watched the race again yesterday and I counted Allpress's strikes - she got in her mandatory 5 and didn't do anymore in the last 100m.  Yet apparently according to some armchair critics the extra two Elliot got in BEFORE the 100m made the difference!!!  The difference might have been he went for home early and made it damn tough for anything behind him to get up.  They would have had to have broken 22 seconds for the last 400m to do it!

It was getting a bit annoying seeing Levante get back early and then wind up late to get beaten.  If she bounces back from that win stronger then she'll win a good fillies/mares Grp race in OZ.

• Haha 1