Bit Of A Yarn

Trackside Preview of Riccarton

Happy Sunrise

Friday night is harness night but they are previewing the racing at Riccarton and they show some Grand National from the past which is pure carnage.

Horses falling, standing up and being hit by other horses. More ghastly falls. They even edited out a horse falling at the last despite it being in the commentary.

Sorry, but jumps racing is revolting and should be banned.

At the very least, I don't need to see it on a Friday night watching Addington.

10 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Friday night is harness night but they are previewing the racing at Riccarton and they show some Grand National from the past which is pure carnage.

Horses falling, standing up and being hit by other horses. More ghastly falls. They even edited out a horse falling at the last despite it being in the commentary.

Sorry, but jumps racing is revolting and should be banned.

At the very least, I don't need to see it on a Friday night watching Addington.

I enjoy the jumps and happened to see part of what you were talking about. I’m surprised  they edited anything out as I saw plenty of carnage in the bits I saw. I also wondered why they were showing something with so many falls and injuries in it. 

58 minutes ago, Tonkatime! said:

I enjoy the jumps and happened to see part of what you were talking about. I’m surprised  they edited anything out as I saw plenty of carnage in the bits I saw. I also wondered why they were showing something with so many falls and injuries in it. 

has hans kriek infiltrated the production team

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tonkatime! said:

If you want to turn people off racing then keep showing horrific stuff like that. 

It was enough to make one dry retch.

• Like 1

I might be wrong but I seem to recall Reon Murtha commentating one night at Addington when he could only see the home straight.  "They now go into the fog with x leading will he still be there when they turn for home.  Y looks in a good position to challenge from the one one."  

He then went through the field from memory making comments about likely outcomes.

When they turned for home he was quickly into stride again.

1 hour ago, Newmarket said:

I remember a few times fog was worse, even recall race caller calling race from mobile? Is that correct?

my recollection also and i thought putting things back one race might have been to sort that but i am seldom on the money

Edited by Rangatira

3 hours ago, Newmarket said:

I remember a few times fog was worse, even recall race caller calling race from mobile? Is that correct?

Correct. Several times when the whole course was in fog for several of the races. You could only see them as they came down the home straight and that was still hard to see. Can remember Reon comentating from the mobile driving around the outside of the track in front of the field. Would not be allowed to day for sure lol. 

Was there one night 15July 1985 when it was one of those pea soup nights. Could only just see the straight from where I was in the old wooden members stand. One of my old favs, the freelegged pacer Rosin trained by J Burrows was in a 2 mile race starting off 10 meters. Not a good stand start horse by any means but backed it anyway just to win. And away they went somewhere down the back. Into the straight at about the 200 the comemtator said "and Rosin is in front" Somehow he must have made a flyer in the gloom!! Anyway still infront the next lap and they dissappeared again. Waiting 90 odd seconds with no commentary as they race down the back with your horse in front is strange to say the least. Surely he carnt hold on over 2 miles. Out of the gloom they come at the 200 and I could only see one horse. A few seconds later the pack is noticible chasing. "And Rosin is still in front" Go you beauty. He won by 7 lenghts and paid around the $20 mark. I dont know what Kerry Oreilly did down the back straight, a short cut maybe, will never know, dont care. A race I will always remember even though I only saw 600 meters of it haha.  

• Like 2