Bit Of A Yarn

The Winter Quiz of HARNESS RACING GREATS A-Z

4 hours ago, mikeynz said:

Edis Nova was another good trotter.

An interesting one Mikey. Haven't heard of it before but seems she was very competitive running places against some top notch trotters like Petite Evander, Easton Light, Cee Ar, Best Bet , Waipounamu and more in the 70's.

"F" for Friday . and some F first letter of name horses to figure out in the daily quiz. 

Can anyone guess these five fine fab fantastic 'F' horses today ?

have a crack at one , or 2 of these then................

Q1/ This horse was famous for one of those miraculous runs in the Cup , whereas Lord Module and the 'Terror' still managed to Win after breaking and giving away 50m at the start, this bloke gave away 80m approx and missed the win by a head. He may of raced without hopples?

Q2/ Speaking of Lord Module , Cecil loved a NZ Cup win and didn't the number 2 quiz horse deliver that ? what a ripper his F horse was , was on the backmark with Caduceus in that horses famous Harold Park Interdom Win too..

Q3/ Before Barry became the legend partnership trainer with dad Roy , he won the Kaikoura Cup of all things as a junior driver lol..... with this horse. 

and Aussies to have raided NZ shores.........

Q4/ Luke McCarthy tried to do a 'Gammalite' and have a crack at the NZ Cup with this bloke but came up just short. (suffered The same fate in the Interdominion at his home track too)

Q5/ This horse of Newman's was truly blessed, as 1/2 a century ago a Tasmanian was running records in Auckland but scratched from the Grand Final when a Red Hot Favourite. allowing this 'visitor from Oz' to take the spoils instead. 

Edited by Gammalite

3 minutes ago, greyhound said:

5 First Lee  really sad for Halwes as he was unbeatable in that series and I think he went on to win the Miracle mile a couple weeks later

Spot on Greyhound !! Halwes won the Miracle mile soon after (the second running of the great race in front of a huge crowd) by about 8 lengths from First Lee (the brand new Interdominion Champion) who ran 2nd.

Don't feel sad for Halwes though. Aub (Halwes owner/trainer) was quite happy to take the money offered from NSW bookies not to start at Auckland. My dad travelled with him from Tassie. Dad said he was never sure if the same thing happened the year before at Perth (where a heavily backed Binshaw had won the series) when Halwes was 'withdrawn' during that series as well. Bit of a Phar Lap Caulfield Cup type of thing .....

1 minute ago, Gammalite said:

Spot on Greyhound !! Halwes won the Miracle mile soon after (the second running of the great race in front of a huge crowd) by about 8 lengths from First Lee (the brand new Interdominion Champion) who ran 2nd.

Don't feel sad for Halwes though. Aub (Halwes owner/trainer) was quite happy to take the money offered from NSW bookies not to start at Auckland. My dad travelled with him from Tassie. Dad said he was never sure if the same thing happened the year before at Perth (where a heavily backed Binshaw had won the series) when Halwes was 'withdrawn' during that series as well. Bit of a Phar Lap Caulfield Cup type of thing .....

From memory didnt he have a quarter crack which was about to burst or something like that and wasnt prepared to risk him for the Miracle mile...always wondered about that as I thought the interdominion win would have been more prestigous.. Was a great series with some good horses both NZ and aussie ( I followed another F - Fort Nelson through that series)

3 minutes ago, greyhound said:

From memory didnt he have a quarter crack which was about to burst or something like that and wasnt prepared to risk him for the Miracle mile...always wondered about that as I thought the interdominion win would have been more prestigous.. Was a great series with some good horses both NZ and aussie ( I followed another F - Fort Nelson through that series)

The actual event was Halwes pinced with a nail to hop around for an hour or 2 in front of the stewards on grand Final Day. (Very easy to do) nail pulled out and horse fine hours later , as you would be with thorn in finger for example,  and Aub received twice the prizemoney the Grand Final win would of given him. 

• Like 1

image.jpeg.28e76210490bfd0f5891c416ce71ef36.jpeg

Final Decision, one of the shining lights that made me get more involved. That’s the year’s before winner running third, left his hopples at home as well. There is a picture in that years , 1975, Trotting Annual, at the  mile and a half, of Lunar Chance taking the lead, Micron tailing the field 5 lengths back, and…Final Decision a couple of hundred yards away.Robert Mitchell still thought he was going to win on the home turn he was going that well, just came to the end of it.I think he ran his last mile and a half in around 2.58, great time then, around 4.09 overall.

Dereck Heckler, bit of a cowboy trained him, took him to the USA. Phenomenal horse and striking with it.

Great time to be a young enthusiast.

• Champ Post 1

10 hours ago, Blackie said:

image.jpeg.28e76210490bfd0f5891c416ce71ef36.jpeg

Final Decision, one of the shining lights that made me get more involved. That’s the year’s before winner running third, left his hopples at home as well. There is a picture in that years , 1975, Trotting Annual, at the  mile and a half, of Lunar Chance taking the lead, Micron tailing the field 5 lengths back, and…Final Decision a couple of hundred yards away.Robert Mitchell still thought he was going to win on the home turn he was going that well, just came to the end of it.I think he ran his last mile and a half in around 2.58, great time then, around 4.09 overall.

Dereck Heckler, bit of a cowboy trained him, took him to the USA. Phenomenal horse and striking with it.

Great time to be a young enthusiast.

Micron was a good horse but risky from a standing start, I think he may have been only C9, had to be open class to run but could be wrong there.

One wonders if Final Decision had not have lost so much ground that he may have won by a couple of hundred yards lol

Got question 1 2 and 3, First Lee jogged my memory, number 5 was beyond me.

Those trotting annuals were my annual xmas present,,still got them, probably a market for them, as one gets older often wonder what to do with them.

Those trotting annuals were my annual xmaspresent,,still got them, probably a market for them, as one gets older often wonder what to do with them.

Same mikeynz. Couldn’t of had a better present for me. Just get them out and reminisce about the good old days, nostalgic.

'G' for Go day , and here we have a couple of kiwis and a couple of Aussies.

Can you pick them from the clues in todays quiz ?

Q1/ This bloke won a whole swag of races on both sides of the Tasman and especially as a three year old he gave it to the 'Terror' in some Group 1's and banked near 1/2 mill that year.

Q2/ This horse started in about 30 Group races but only ever won 2 of them. 3200m stands at Addington were both of those. and one was a surprise stable Quinella paying $200 odd...

The Aussies to of raced in NZ.

Q3/ Greatest of all to race there ? well everyone knows the answer to that one at Gammalite lol.  Although a couple of 'pretenders' tried to upstage the Gammalite Interdominion- Auckland Cup double . I'm ThemightyQuinn just being a 'guts' with an Interdominion and 2 Auckland Cups ! WTF. and My Lightning Blue the Addington Interdominion with NZ Cup double. boring.... Just disgraceful that they would do that lol...

Q4/ Another Aussie sneaked an Interdominion at Addington too?. who was that ? seemed Half the field was 'doped-up' though and disqualified lol. so this Vic pacer didn't have to do it tough like 'Gamma' and beat some of the greats like Popular Alm, Delightful Lady and Armalight (2nd, 3rd and 4th in his Inter win) 😉😉

36 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Q2/ This horse started in about 30 Group races but only ever won 2 of them. 3200m stands at Addington were both of those. and one was a surprise stable Quinella paying $200 odd...

Gracious Knight ?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

'G' for Go day , and here we have a couple of kiwis and a couple of Aussies.

Can you pick them from the clues in todays quiz ?

Q1/ This bloke won a whole swag of races on both sides of the Tasman and especially as a three year old he gave it to the 'Terror' in some Group 1's and banked near 1/2 mill that year.

Q3/ Greatest of all to race there ? well everyone knows the answer to that one at Gammalite lol.  Although a couple of 'pretenders' tried to upstage the Gammalite Interdominion- Auckland Cup double . I'm ThemightyQuinn just being a 'guts' with an Interdominion and 2 Auckland Cups ! WTF. and My Lightning Blue the Addington Interdominion with NZ Cup double. boring.... Just disgraceful that they would do that lol...

Q4/ Another Aussie sneaked an Interdominion at Addington too?. who was that ? seemed Half the field was 'doped-up' though and disqualified lol. so this Vic pacer didn't have to do it tough like 'Gamma' and beat some of the greats like Popular Alm, Delightful Lady and Armalight (2nd, 3rd and 4th in his Inter win) 😉😉

1. Gold Ace?

4. Golden Reign?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Golden Reign ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rangatira said:

Gracious Knight ?

yep . won Easter Cup and Quinella in NZ Cup with stablemate Facta Non Verba

2 hours ago, greyhound said:

1. Gold Ace?

4. Golden Reign?

Yep. Gold Ace had 4 campaigns in Oz as well (winning another 6 races) 

1 hour ago, Blackie said:

👍 reckon you boys have nailed it.

Golden Reign still had to go around them all, despite A Butt taking half the field out.

The boys are onto it . 

A good tip coming up for G day. Just sat down to watch tele and GRANDSLAM came on . perhaps an Omen bet for Caulfield coming up in a few minutes (and was didcussing the harness grandslam earlier in week . 

To kick off 'H' day we have some beauties. 

The Nz Harness racing Hall of Fame has eleven horses inducted . (Including Cardigan Bay and Caduceus of course)

TWO others of the inaugural band of 6 Inductees were great 'H' horses.

Q1/ and......

Q2/   are name these 2 great horses that are Hall of Famers ?

Q3/ Both these horses achieved the SAME remarkable feat in their racing days . What was it ?

Q4/ I think this horse that achieved that same feat (well was less a few yards but very close) should of been a Hall of Famer as well. Who was she ?

Q5/ download.jpg.2009e63b5acbc4a04609cb0b1254a614.jpgthis great horse was once one of the most recognisable faces in harness racing. Here he co-incidently is beating one of the 11 'Nz Hall of Fame' Inductees. Who is he ?

and the Aussie ?????

Q6/ This great horse was undeated in NZ when he came to your shores. winning 3 out of 3 (and it possible could of been 4 if he didn't scratch from the 4th race)