Bit Of A Yarn

training cost

18 minutes ago, hunterthepunter said:

as I am a trotting guy would love to no how much it costs to get a dog trained as im thinking of getting one

it depends, it wouldn't even equate to half of a trotter id say. Probably about $150-200 a week with all the vitamins, meat, kibble etc provided.

Id be careful who you get to train your dogs though, some have training fees (and imo, at ridiculous costs. had a mate a few years ago whos bitch made 55K and he ended up owing the trainer money) while others tend to go 50-50. 

Edited by BitofaLegend

BitofaLegend is pretty much bang on.

Cheapest I know of is about $14 a day up to about $18-$19 a day if your not on a 50/50 deal. Trainer of mine said rule of thumb is dog needed to earn about 10k a season to make it worth while for a 50/50 deal.

Other trainers may do 60/40 in their favour or abit more.

Only extra thing you should incur a cost if your on a deal is for is vet bills and maybe a big journey somewhere north or south.

19 minutes ago, Lad27 said:

Cheapest I know of is about $14 a day up to about $18-$19 a day if your not on a 50/50 deal. Trainer of mine said rule of thumb is dog needed to earn about 10k a season to make it worth while for a 50/50 deal.

Only extra thing you should incur a cost if your on a deal is for is vet bills and maybe a big journey somewhere north or south.

if you pay the $18 dollars a day what percentage of prizemoney if any does the trainer get

Edited by wally

Sorry headed off to lunch and forgot to add what happens if no training deal, on top of daily charge keep in mind:

travel costs

trial costs

worming costs

council registration costs

vet bill costs

Might be a couple I've missed but if your in a syndicate then the cost is split, if your a sole owner it can be tough if dog injured and out for abit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lad27 said:

Sounds about right

• Like 1

On 14/08/2018 at 12:19 PM, Lad27 said:

Sounds quite a bit initially, but i suppose they can race a couple of times a week, and prize money seems pretty good compared to horse