Bit Of A Yarn

Training fees??

Honestjohn

Everyone at headquarters is on the edge of their seat waiting for you to rung them.

https://www.grnz.co.nz/getting-involved/Purchasing-a-Greyhound.aspx

Who can I get to train my greyhound?

Greyhound Racing New Zealand is happy to assist you to find a public trainer in your area. There are Public Trainers thoughout New Zealand.  Come and join the fun!

https://www.grnz.co.nz/getting-involved/Become-a-Licensed-Person.aspx

Becoming an Owner

Becoming a greyhound owner will open your world up to a unique and exciting industry and pastime.

You have three options when deciding to become an owner:

1. Individual Ownership - owning a greyhound outright. 

2. Partnerships - two people owning a greyhound.

3. Syndication - This involves a group of people (three or more people) who combine their resources to buy a greyhound under a syndicate name. 

Simply choose the option that suits you and complete the requirements.

Process 

1. To become a Handler, Owner, Owner/Trainer or Public Trainer please complete the relevant Licence form available on the Fees and Forms page on this website. 
  2. To register a Partnership please complete the Licence as Partnership form. If the members are new to GRNZ you will also need to complete the Licence as Owner form.

3. To register a Syndicate please complete the Register as Syndicate (and Agreement) form. The Manager and Assistant Manager of the Syndicate must have an Owner's licence. Other members will need to complete a Licence as Syndicate Member Only form if they are new to GRNZ.

We are happy to answer any questions you may have and give assistance where necessary. Contact: 04 589 4900

• Like 1

Thanks I kinda knew all that,  I know the good guys and the charlatans.  Just needed a ball park figure.  The one I was involved was a syndicate but the trainer was a crook,  we had to take the greyhound off him via a race detective.  We never saw a cent from the dog. 

Hj

23 hours ago, Honestjohn said:

Thanks I kinda knew all that,  I know the good guys and the charlatans.  Just needed a ball park figure.  The one I was involved was a syndicate but the trainer was a crook,  we had to take the greyhound off him via a race detective.  We never saw a cent from the dog. 

Hj

Back when I was involved, 50/50 seemed pretty reasonable to me.

If you have a good enough dog and they dont agree to your terms, find someone else. I know i few trainers today who charge 150-250 a week

7 hours ago, Freda said:

A very good harness trainer was reputed to have told a potential client ' if you need to ask the charges, you can't afford them.  Go somewhere else ' .

Find a 'good guy ' - as you say you know which they are - and pay what they ask .

I only know one dog trainer,  and I won't be asking him.  As you are aware different trainers charge different rates.  And as I said I haven't been  involved  for 20 years. 

Just a polite question that you obviously don't know?? 

Hj

1 hour ago, BitofaLegend said:

If you have a good enough dog and they dont agree to your terms, find someone else. I know i few trainers today who charge 150-250 a week

OK.  Thank you.  Gives me something to work with. 

Much appreciated. 

Hj

1 hour ago, BitofaLegend said:

If I was racing in the north island I'd go to laaglands but they have both passed.  I like the 50/50 deal BTW. 

Hj

28 minutes ago, Honestjohn said:

I only know one dog trainer,  and I won't be asking him.  As you are aware different trainers charge different rates.  And as I said I haven't been  involved  for 20 years. 

Just a polite question that you obviously don't know?? 

Hj

I wasn't  trying to be clever...you did say that you 'knew the good guys' so, it kinda made sense to me to patronise one of the 'good guys'  and then you would know you will be treated fairly, and so will your dog.

• Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, Freda said:

I wasn't  trying to be clever...you did say that you 'knew the good guys' so, it kinda made sense to me to patronise one of the 'good guys'  and then you would know you will be treated fairly, and so will your dog.

I don't know many dog trainers,  except our bad experience. I've met the laaglands and would have gone there but they have since died. Now I know roughly what it costs I just need to pull the trigger.   I'm in Auckland next month so I will check a few out. 

Thanks.  :)

hj

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...