NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Winx

Freda

Finished feeding and rushed inside to watch the great mare...trying to swallow the lump in my throat as she let down and stretched home...now I hope no-one comes in until I can mop my eyes and restore some dignity...!

What an absolute privilege to witness.

• Like 7
  • Champ Post 1

Guest CrossCodes

Words fail you sometimes. Looked vulnerable at the top of the straight, 100 m later she makes you feel stupid for doubting her, then she canters in.......,racing needs horses like this and as a 7yr old mare just keeps defying all challengers. Roll on the Cox Plate.

That is some run against top class horses, once she gets going she seems to devour the ground and these are not slugs she is eating.

Only word of caution, she is not a machine, and even the very best horses can only do so much  Be nice if she got a win where she didn't have to do so much.

29 minutes ago, FeelTheFear said:

Blinkers on would make her run even faster

Check  with Thomass, please, FTF ... I confidently predict that IF Winx is wearing blinkers (having not worn them last start) and is racing down in grade having shown Superior form (Clue for Thomass: check her last 26 wins on end), AND her jockey has put in the penetrometer across the full width of the track on raceday to 'find the fast lane' ... Thomass will tip her to win next start.. and he'll tell us all about it the day after! LOL

• Haha 1

That is what is so frustrating Hesi, they refused to take on the world,......she could have been known as they greatest of all time, world wide, but they just wouldn't do what all those brave and valiant owners and trainers of those great mares like Makybe Diva, Black Caviar, Horlicks, Sunline, etc etc......it's all well and good to be saying ''best ever'' but the proof is travelling to take on the best, like the ASHES.....if the poms didn't come down to Oz and beat the cricket 11 up it wouldn't have the same ring to it, same as the All Blacks, if they couldn't win a series in South Africa, but they do, and they are worthy world champs......WINX as good as she is can never be compared to those mares as they travelled, and in some cases, especially BC and SL, they won......records there.....IMO of course.

34 minutes ago, hesi said:

That is some run against top class horses, once she gets going she seems to devour the ground and these are not slugs she is eating.

Only word of caution, she is not a machine, and even the very best horses can only do so much  Be nice if she got a win where she didn't have to do so much.

Hesi I thought she did that pretty easily really...Bowman started pulling her up well before the post and she's nowhere near 100% yet!

Love that galloping action, though! As you say eats up that ground!

3 minutes ago, Rowley Mile said:

That is what is so frustrating Hesi, they refused to take on the world,......she could have been known as they greatest of all time, world wide, but they just wouldn't do what all those brave and valiant owners and trainers of those great mares like Makybe Diva, Black Caviar, Horlicks, Sunline, etc etc......it's all well and good to be saying ''best ever'' but the proof is travelling to take on the best, like the ASHES.....if the poms didn't come down to Oz and beat the cricket 11 up it wouldn't have the same ring to it, same as the All Blacks, if they couldn't win a series in South Africa, but they do, and they are worthy world champs......WINX as good as she is can never be compared to those mares as they travelled, and in some cases, especially BC and SL, they won......records there.....IMO of course.

The planes fly both ways RM :)

• Like 2

14 Apr 2018 - Jockey Note : “She’s just an exceptional athlete, she creates so much attention, I’m just so elated, I’m so proud of her and I’m just so proud to be a part of it. There’s so many cogs to the wheel and I know I get the dream ride here today, she’s so exceptional, she is able to overcome everything and what a pleasure she is for sport. I know I’ve got the engine to round them up, but I can’t do it on my own, Ambitious made a bit of a mid-race move, which fortunately played into my hands. The bottomline is she’s got 10-12L on her rivals, it makes it easy for me.”

2 Sep 2017 - Jockey Note : “He certainly made a race of it. At the top of the straight I wasn’t worried last start but today I really was. What she did today was incredible, I mean everything she does in incredible, but I’m lost for words. I’m concentrating on just keeping her balanced but when she hit the afterburners at the 150m mark today I just can’t explain the feeling.”

19 Aug 2017 - Jockey Note : “I was thinking it could be mathematically impossible to catch them but there was nothing I could do about that I just had to rely on the engine that I know is in her, I couldn’t take off at the 700m to get closer or I would have run out of gas, so I just had to have confidence in her and ride her to run a race. She’s just so much better than them and I had to rely on that to win the race. I’m proud of her and it’s been such an amazing journey for all of us and judging on what we saw this afternoon we might be in for a few good runs yet.”

10 minutes ago, Rowley Mile said:

They do not run 32.33 seconds for the last 600m of any races in England, France, Italy..or anywhere else in Europe ( unless they're running on premium grade fuel? )...Winx has nothing to prove in Europe/USA/Dubai/Hong Kong..she's the best EVER in my humble opinion. Let the pretenders come to Aussie and have a shot at her...

• Like 4
  • Champ Post 1

Been comments on it here and every time I watch her I think about that galloping action.

It is just so purely efficient. It looks like every ounce of energy is converted effectively into making that horse cover the ground.

It's almost mesmerising. Can't get tired of watching that mare move. Would be an interesting biomechanical study.

WOW!! What a horse. 

• Champ Post 1

16 hours ago, curious said:

Thommo will dismiss that because it was in the fast lane. Add .5 seconds? Or have you already got that allowed for in your back in class programme?

Nice article here about how Prince Invictus got his (new) name and how he got bought off the Queen!!

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/racing/princely-sum-how-geoff-grimish-bought-a-horse-off-the-queen-20180719-p4zsb9.html

8 minutes ago, jess said:

Been comments on it here and every time I watch her I think about that galloping action.

It is just so purely efficient. It looks like every ounce of energy is converted effectively into making that horse cover the ground.

It's almost mesmerising. Can't get tired of watching that mare move. Would be an interesting biomechanical study.

WOW!! What a horse. 

Unlike many elite racehorses, Winx does not have a particularly long stride – her stride was measured at 6.76 metres (22.2 ft) compared to nearly 8.5 metres (28 ft) for Black Caviar and Phar Lap. Instead, her success has been attributed to a "freakish" stride rate that allows her to take 14 strides every 5 seconds, compared to 12 for her rivals. "This means she can settle or accelerate at any time during a race," said Dr. Graeme Putt, who has studied the science of racehorse success. "I think this makes her unique."

• Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, FeelTheFear said:

19 Aug 2017 - Jockey Note : “I was thinking it could be mathematically impossible to catch them but there was nothing I could do about that I just had to rely on the engine that I know is in her, I couldn’t take off at the 700m to get closer or I would have run out of gas, so I just had to have confidence in her and ride her to run a race. She’s just so much better than them and I had to rely on that to win the race.

I think I saw her telling Hughie that yesterday. "You've gone too soon Hughie. Now we're wasting energy covering all this extra ground. Let's just wait for the 200 when I can see the winning post and we'll go from there. Won't be a problem."

Edited by curious
  • Like 1