Bit Of A Yarn

donkeys in to winners

2 hours ago, paleface adios said:

wow wow Jason Grimson another group1 win with ex donkey from the land of the long white sheep s......  

Best Trainer ever ??? winning last 2 Interdominions with moderate performed runners. Now pulled this South Island horse out of the hat, who only had 2 wins from 17 in Nz 2020 , ( and only 2 wins in Vic with Kelly this year )

Now 2 wins from 2 starts for Grimson lately , including last nights Very heavily supported Group 1 Cranbourne Cup win by 3 lengths from Vic Cup winner Rock N Roll Doo.  😯

What the hell is Grimson doing to get these remarkable performances 🙄🍟

• Like 2

I think the horse is better than a donkey, mate. Major Meister was consistent when trained by Kirsten Green/Tank Ellis. Lite Jagermeister, the dam, did most of her racing in Australia so perhaps it is not surprising that her son races better in Australia? The mare won eight races in Australia and 11 overall, so again no donkey!

Miss Green has a half brother He's a Meister that's had one start.

I think it is understandable that a horse would improve going from Southland where it's cold to warm Australia. Do horses prefer warmer weather, Gamma?

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

2 hours ago, Davis said:

I think it is understandable that a horse would improve going from Southland where it's cold to warm Australia. Do horses prefer warmer weather, Gamma?

Bloody oath mate. We can smack em around in the cricket lol, and swim horses all year round here in sunny Queensland. 

Mind you I thought it was cold in Auckland at times 🤣🤣 ,But that would be like the tropics compared to South Island. Used to get horses up from the deep South bred by my racing partner , and they'd arrive in Auckland from Winton with like 4 inch hair on them . like shaggy yaks . was quite incredible . Must be absolutely freezing there.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, paleface adios said:

wow wow Jason Grimson another group1 win with ex donkey from the land of the long white sheep s......  

I heard he is kicking himself for missing out on acquiring Kelly Evander who had 160 starts here for bugger all a few years ago. He could have won an Interdominion with her.

• Champ Post 1
  • Fake News! 1

32 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Here's a good one by Boyden Hanover. Knocked me off a couple of times ( along with the champs Preux Chevalier in very similar colours in this photo and Royden Glen )

Grimson could of really done something with this horse ?? another Interdominion ?

download.jpg.680c11bb3072ad6a34ed891eb75994ea.jpg

ex Aoranam

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/20/2022 at 10:25 AM, paleface adios said:

wonder how Grimson would of gone with this horse

Well there goes the Bendigo Cup 🏆 tonight. Grimson is at it again?. more on the money than Brodster that bloke 💰.

That Major Meister winning after being last at the bell. Then cannoning into the back of a retiring horse down the back straight, and with Cam Hart driving whip high up, aka like Vin Knight,  for the last 1/2 a lap , Laps up the Victory !! like Vinny would of.

And to boot as well, and gobsmack everyone,  the very old 'Claimer' horse Sicario , another old ex-pat kiwi, runs 2nd in the race for a Grimson quinella 😯. How the hell does he do this sort of improvement to these old horses?  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gammalite said:

Well there goes the Bendigo Cup 🏆 tonight. Grimson is at it again?. more on the money than Brodster that bloke 💰.

That Major Meister winning after being last at the bell. Then cannoning into the back of a retiring horse down the back straight, and with Cam Hart driving whip high up, aka like Vin Knight,  for the last 1/2 a lap , Laps up the Victory !! like Vinny would of.

And to boot as well, and gobsmack everyone,  the very old 'Claimer' horse Sicario , another old ex-pat kiwi, runs 2nd in the race for a Grimson quinella 😯. How the hell does he do this sort of improvement to these old horses?  

I think Grimson has a small team so he is hands on and probably spends a lot of time getting each horse right?

To be fair Gamma it wasn't the greatest field really. I see that the breeder of Major Meister, Tom Kilkelly still has a share in the horse so he will be happy. Sicario was formally trained by Brent Lilley, no disrespect to Mr Lilley, but he is better trainer of trotters than pacers. So I can see how Grimson would improve Sicario. 

Earlier on the programme another donkey to winner Whiskey Cavalier bolted in for the Gaths. This horse was a slow batter in NZ trained by Kyle Cameron. Whiskey Cavalier is by Lincoln Royal that was a good racehorse, but I don't think he sired any other winners?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davis said:

I think Grimson has a small team so he is hands on and probably spends a lot of time getting each horse right?

To be fair Gamma it wasn't the greatest field really. I see that the breeder of Major Meister, Tom Kilkelly still has a share in the horse so he will be happy. Sicario was formally trained by Brent Lilley, no disrespect to Mr Lilley, but he is better trainer of trotters than pacers. So I can see how Grimson would improve Sicario. 

Earlier on the programme another donkey to winner Whiskey Cavalier bolted in for the Gaths. This horse was a slow batter in NZ trained by Kyle Cameron. Whiskey Cavalier is by Lincoln Royal that was a good racehorse, but I don't think he sired any other winners?

Think The Allstars originally trained Sicario when in Canterbury.

Whisky Cavalier was pretty tough when he raced here.

The thing is most reasonable horses here can go over to Oz and win races, our horses are just so much better than theirs on average.

NZ has lifted the standard of their racing due to our exports.

Far easier to at least break even racing horses in Oz as far more opportunities.

• Champ Post 1

7 hours ago, Brodie said:

The thing is most reasonable horses here can go over to Oz and win races, our horses are just so much better than theirs on average.

NZ has lifted the standard of their racing due to our exports.

Far easier to at least break even racing horses in Oz as far more opportunities.

I think there real top horses are on a par with ours my old mate. In fact, I think Majestic Cruiser is the best horse in Australasia. I think his record in recent seasons says that and he is Australian bred horse tough and fast. 

Of course its easier to train the likes of Majestic Cruiser, Spankem, Copy That etc than the average slow horse?

Good luck at the Motukarara mate. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Brodie said:

Yes, he is bred to be tough as his sire Royal Lincoln is by Mach Three. His dam Special Ops was a tough mare by Armbro Operative who won 12 races. She was trained by Ross Rennie. What has happened to Ross and Murray Rennie?