NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

What's going on Auckland?

Yankiwi

Two positive posts in row from me about Manukau. Who would have thought?

Wayne Steele & team back racing there. A good sign.

But just look at this.

Last 22 Oct, this happened to a greyhound they train named "Love It".

LOVE IT (3) - tightened and hampered first turn becoming unbalanced then faltered and fell. Referred to the Veterinarian where it was reported to have a suspected right scapula fracture. The Greyhound was transported to the Northern RTR contact to be transported to GRNZ's contracted Veterinary Clinic for treatment with this being followed up in the coming days. A 90 day incapacitation has been issued and the Greyhound must trial prior to racing again. Subsequent x-rays revealed no fracture but a muscle tear under the scapula with the stand down reduced to 42 days.

After recovering, the dog raced twice more at Manukau in early Feb for a 2nd & a 3rd placing.

Then it was restricted to racing at Cambridge from 22 Feb to last week, for unknown but probably obvious reasons.

Then they line it up today in a top-grade sprint and it romps them straight out of the boxes in 18.43.

Posted (edited)

Tomorrow is the biggest day of the year for greyhound racing in Auckland.

Silver Collar: let's have the lure within the 4m to 10m threshold ahead of the leading dog this year, unlike last year. image.png.d396794db5422ac6e02b81097ae34947.png

Waterloo Cup:

My prediction - expect some reason for this dog to have to be scratched

image.png.d80ab87e3958b315c3ce021d299f3da9.png

and for this dog to fill the #4 box.

image.png.ed4192436d613639a825a17e8a2e7be0.png

Space Boy hasn't been drawn into any other races on the day (like the Peter Earley Classic) so it's probably already a done deal.

image.png.cbc7ac60bd05dc2542ba886a00b7650e.png

Race fixing predicted, if it does occur.

And no - it hasn't happened before my post.

image.thumb.png.6eb62f3a69999a7735b0b13536498deb.png

Edited by Yankiwi

13 minutes ago, Yankiwi said:

Race fixing predicted, if it does occur.

And no - it hasn't happened before my post.

If it (whatever it is) occurs then you predicted it?  If it (whatever it is) doesn't occur then you didn't predict it?

If whatever you predict is race fixing how is the race fixed?

Asking on behalf of the ignorant amongst us. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Yankiwi said:

This little thing, which should have stopped the "all clear" before the race was paid?

Where's GRNZ new boxes.wmv 739.39 kB · 3 downloads  

Yep. Took the bookies 3 races to give my money back and I had a pretty big multi running through the race. Wish they would just remove the abandoned racer but nope, apparently the whole multi gets cancelled

Edited by BitofaLegend

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Auckland's seven race meets just prior too & then seven race meets after the recent refurb.

While returning considerably better results post-refurb, even those results are still well outside the KPI target GRNZ has set for the code.

image.thumb.png.c063bf86e6641c09c78ba09c3560239f.png

Edited by Yankiwi

1 hour ago, Yankiwi said:

Auckland's seven race meets just prior too & then seven race meets after the recent refurb.

While returning considerably better results post-refurb, even those results are still well outside the KPI target GRNZ has set for the code.

image.thumb.png.c063bf86e6641c09c78ba09c3560239f.png

Your stats are meaningless because GRNZ's KPI's are meaningless.  The statistics you need to compare against is the natural injury rate of racing a Greyhound.

When you do that you'll find that NZ is no different to any other jurisdiction.

We look forward to your new analysis.

12 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Your stats are meaningless because GRNZ's KPI's are meaningless.  The statistics you need to compare against is the natural injury rate of racing a Greyhound.

When you do that you'll find that NZ is no different to any other jurisdiction.

We look forward to your new analysis.

Sounds like a job for you Chief.

My mission is to put perspective on what GRNZ says & hold them accountable for what they state as fact or claim they will be doing.

Like Manukau & Cambridge leading the pack in terms of low injury rates, or those pesky 10-year overdue safety rails.

Here's the actual realized current season to date injuries.

image.thumb.png.a36ac6cfb888fcfbf26f7f5244e07893.png

Hypothetically, let's take the two tracks Mr. Dore had informed the AHWC that were leading the pack in terms of low injury rates out of the mix.

image.thumb.png.9fbb54db22c50de77cedec99a45da7d8.png 

He still has a job within GRNZ?

Why?

54 minutes ago, Yankiwi said:

Sounds like a job for you Chief.

My mission is to put perspective on what GRNZ says & hold them accountable for what they state as fact or claim they will be doing.

Like Manukau & Cambridge leading the pack in terms of low injury rates, or those pesky 10-year overdue safety rails.

Then your analysis is flawed which I've said from the beginning.  Your objective isn't anything to do with Greyhound safety and welfare but as you state holding GRNZ accountable.  In other words rather than dealing with facts you sole intent is to bag GRNZ.

If you were consistent then you would point out to GRNZ that the KPI's by which you measure them on are flawed i.e. GRNZ have made a rod for their own back.  The reality is that Greyhound racing has an inherent systemic injury rate that no matter what is done will always be there.  In that regard it is no different from any other high performance sport.

So I doubt that you support Greyhound racing - I would say you are a wolf in sheep clothing i.e. truly anti-greyhound racing.  No doubt negatively motivated by a past negative experience that you can't let go.

wolf dancing GIF

1 hour ago, Yankiwi said:

Hypothetically, let's take the two tracks Mr. Dore had informed the AHWC that were leading the pack in terms of low injury rates out of the mix.

But they are all doing much better than other jurisdictions.  Perhaps Mr Dore should be rewarded for his efforts rather than denigrated?

Goldstar Hans (#8) - 1st look at Manukau - 21 Jan 2024 - Jumped last - Finished 8th after heavy contact from trying to hurdle the running rail.

image.thumb.png.3063972aebf99f53124b2d32da983691.png

Goldstar Hans (#8) - 1st look at Wanganui - 28 June 2024 - Jumped last - Finished 1st after running well off the running rail & circling the field.

image.thumb.png.943abd851a5cc47a464107f319063f61.png

How did he know to stay well off the rail in Wanganui but not in Manukau.

My picks - Lure much closer to the lead dog (therefore much closer to him as well) & safety rail partially obscuring all the dog's vision around the bend and acting as a visibly higher obstruction.

14 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Seems he learnt from the mishap.  

You can add not being able to read a race to the list of things you can't do as well.  In the January race the dog was interferred with just before he hit the fence.

Wrong, tried to leap the fence free of interference.

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

So he wasn't interferred with at all in the running?

screenshot-bitofayarn.com-2024.07.01-09_55_34.png

In the running is another question, and that does not concern me. As for attempting to take a short cut by leaping the running rail, then that was by his own volition free of interference.

2 hours ago, aquaman said:

In the running is another question, and that does not concern me. As for attempting to take a short cut by leaping the running rail, then that was by his own volition free of interference.

Immediately after interference.  To suggest that the placement of the lure was some reason for his attempt to leap the fence is as equally implausible.  The dog was interferred with and his vision of the lure was impaired by those in front of him.

• 2 weeks later...