Bit Of A Yarn

What's going on Auckland?

Yankiwi

Goldstar Hans tried to take a shortcut because he was not ofay with the track. It was his first look. Trainers in NZ have a very bad habit of not trialing their dogs first before racing on them. In Australia you would not see this like it happens here in NZ. I have seen NZ trainers take dogs all the way to Aus for a feature race, and not give them a look at the track where they are expected to perform. These so called trainers do not have the ability to see it from the dogs eye's. These dogs are running blind, and unless they get a kind draw, heaps of luck, and end up right on the lure, then they invariably fail. All this results in greater chance of injury or doing what Hans tried, take a short cut.

The other fatal flaw with NZ training is over racing, cram as many races as you can syndrome. They call it well placing of the dog if they can run 3 times a week in the same grade running out noms. Again you do not get the over racing in Aus like seen here. Again this all adds up to more injuries and deaths. NZ Greyhounds are in a bubble of their own.

• Like 2

Just now, Chief Stipe said:

Goldstar Hans had had 4 starts in 18 days recently.  3 of those within 7 days.

No surprise there Chief, if your willing to take a dog all the way to Auckland to race blind, then it goes without saying racing 4 times in a short period is normal. Me its ignorance.

52 minutes ago, aquaman said:

No surprise there Chief, if your willing to take a dog all the way to Auckland to race blind, then it goes without saying racing 4 times in a short period is normal. Me its ignorance.

I was told they line them up for start money. When they got $60??? Per starter it was said start 10 dogs you get your weekly income. It's prolly higher now.?? Anyone confirm starter fee please?? 

Hj

2 hours ago, Honestjohn said:

I was told they line them up for start money. When they got $60??? Per starter it was said start 10 dogs you get your weekly income. It's prolly higher now.?? Anyone confirm starter fee please?? 

Hj

If there is now a starter fee for NZ dogs it only come in in the last few years.  When I was involved it paid out on dogs whom where placed 1st down to 6th place.

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

3 minutes ago, Overit said:

If there is now a starter fee for NZ dogs it only come in in the last few years.  When I was involved it paid out on dogs whom where placed 1st down to 6th place.

When I started it was 1st 3.  The split being 60% 1st,  25% 2nd,  15% 3rd. When I finished they paid out to 4th. Then it became all the way back to 6th. I never liked it because it robbed the 1st 3.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

3 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Goldstar Hans had had 4 starts in 18 days recently.  3 of those within 7 days.

Here's the rule, effective 1 Feb 2023 (or just over a year ago).

Navigated via use of the link here.

image.png.9243b7731070cafc54252feb2ad15941.png

On the first page of the linked GRNZ rules, there is this note.

image.png.61b512dcb697a93bd35bb2493b59950c.png

I haven't checked, but if Hans had 3 starts within 7 days as Chief has stated and they were on/after 9 Aug 2023 an RIB investigation is required.

If those starts were on/after 1 Feb 2023 an RIB investigation may be required.

image.png

Edited by Yankiwi
  • Champ Post 1

40 minutes ago, aquaman said:

When I started it was 1st 3.  The split being 60% 1st,  25% 2nd,  15% 3rd. When I finished they paid out to 4th. Then it became all the way back to 6th. I never liked it because it robbed the 1st 3.

When I owned dogs, GRNZ paid back to 3th. A $20 petrol voucher was handed out for each unplaced dog (which I believe the trainer generally kept, they did in my case).

In the big feature races, GRNZ paid the top 3 well and unplaced dogs received $100 for Group 2 races or $200 for Group 1 races.

Ten years ago, I owned a Group 1 starter, a Silver Collar finalist, which he finished in 4th place. That paid $200 (in an $80k race).

To race tonight in the Christchurch 732m Stockburn Cup ($15k), which will be held during a premier racing meeting, but not listed as a Group 1 or 2 race, it pays like this.

image.thumb.png.b3cca7a06b6d1a150657bbe071e80324.png

$806 for 4th place.

Oh, how the times have changed (with stakes money, but not the safety risks).

Back to Auckland & the north in general.

So far in February, Auckland has held 3 race meetings.

They've had 244 race starters, with 15 total racing related injury stand-downs. Of those 7 were minor, 1 was medium, and the remaining 7 were major (generally career ending).

So far in February, Cambridge has held 4 race meetings.

They've had 292 race starters, with 11 total racing related injury stand-downs. Of those 3 were minor, and the remaining 8 were medium.

No fancy spreadsheets. No percentages. No red colour showing above the GRNZ KPI targets. No green colour showing or equal to or below GRNZ KPI targets.

Just the facts of racing a greyhound in the north in February 2024. No bias. No agenda. Just a small collection of what the Steward/Vet reported about the injuries sustained during a race meeting.

If you doubt me, you can open those 7 Stewards report, view the injury data in each of them & work it out on the back of an envelope.

It's not rocket science. It's an easy task you can undertake by yourself, especially if you're sick of hearing from me about it, which will help you protect your dog/s from a career ending injury.

Why doesn't GRNZ fill you in about this as a LP? Don't they know?

55 minutes ago, Yankiwi said:

Back to Auckland & the north in general.

So far in February, Auckland has held 3 race meetings.

They've had 244 race starters, with 15 total racing related injury stand-downs. Of those 7 were minor, 1 was medium, and the remaining 7 were major (generally career ending).

So far in February, Cambridge has held 4 race meetings.

They've had 292 race starters, with 11 total racing related injury stand-downs. Of those 3 were minor, and the remaining 8 were medium.

No fancy spreadsheets. No percentages. No red colour showing above the GRNZ KPI targets. No green colour showing or equal to or below GRNZ KPI targets.

Just the facts of racing a greyhound in the north in February 2024. No bias. No agenda. Just a small collection of what the Steward/Vet reported about the injuries sustained during a race meeting.

If you doubt me, you can open those 7 Stewards report, view the injury data in each of them & work it out on the back of an envelope.

It's not rocket science. It's an easy task you can undertake by yourself, especially if you're sick of hearing from me about it, which will help you protect your dog/s from a career ending injury.

Why doesn't GRNZ fill you in about this as a LP? Don't they know?

Just upload your data!! FFS!  You are now selectively posting data that suits your hypothesis.  

Hey AGRC, I've got a great idea for you.

I know you can't call the lure "the bunny" anymore. Someone decided that wasn't a good look for the racing industry for some unknown reason.

Maybe you could start calling it "Major"

image.thumb.png.8426b3e97dbbaea6d791b0b39e1f869f.png

Back in Hinsdale, they called theirs "The Colonel"

image.thumb.png.f9de01b6efe6ce4cb7c047eb8e50bb90.png

Seems military ranks must be ok.

image.png.2e22e3ee0c7793ceaabdd595528a0b7b.png

• 4 weeks later...

Since the beginning of the racing season (Aug 1, 2023) Manukau has had 2738 starters.

GRNZ states that 0.6% of starters is the target for major injuries.

Therefore with 2738 x .006 = 16.43 major injuries would be the GRNZ target number.

image.png.87776d8412d5bef8c992d14b03c58d49.png

Manukau has produced 34 major injuries during the season thus far or over twice the GRNZ "acceptable" level.

Today they finally announced a 5-week shut down for the track as an "immediate intervention and further investigation".

The time they should have shut it down as an immediate response was on 31 Oct 2023, after the first quarter major injury rate was 33% higher than their KPI target. Instead, they crossed their fingers & ignored it.

The second quarter ended on 31 Jan 2024, 83% higher than the KPI target. Still no response.

Then halfway thru the 3rd quarter with the track returning a rate 333% higher than their KPI target, they finally decided to not so immediately intervene.

Nice going guys. You've finally done the right thing, albeit 4+ months too late. 

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

Well done Chazza.  Now you've only got another 5 courses to go.  The industry loves your work but  not as much as SAFE.

This is a good thing. Auckland is an awful track. Especially this time of year. Its ridiculous how poorly managed this place is

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Well done Chazza.  Now you've only got another 5 courses to go.  The industry loves your work but  not as much as SAFE.

Well Chief, I didn't do anything other than point out what GRNZ should have done months ago, if race day welfare is important to them as they claim it is.

4 hours ago, BitofaLegend said:

This is a good thing. Auckland is an awful track. Especially this time of year. Its ridiculous how poorly managed this place is

Exactly.

However, I'm very doubtful 5 weeks is going to sort anything out, especially with the track surface.

It took GRNZ 1 1/2 years to bring Wanganui back from the brink & it's gone very well ever since. Anything less might bring some short term benefit, but without a complete overhaul, next November will quickly become the same shit-show this year has been.

After the task of fixing the surface, which in itself is a major project ~

They need their two new starting boxes GRNZ has promised.

They need their 10-year overdue safety rail GRNZ has promised.

They need the new lure system GRNZ has promised.

They need to bring the lure closer to the ground, in fact it should be just about touching the ground when stationary like Addington's is. Dogs running around a corner shouldn't be focusing on anything that higher than their eye level.

They need the safety pads on the outside fence to go further around the corner.

image.png.8c7e5754586df3bc2b54d3e2329f1313.png

image.thumb.png.5e70215c4ab60ff765153c56a41cbe86.png

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Seeyounexttuesdaytrainers said:

Did they take the Manukau track curator to work at Cambridge? Three Major 2 injuries today 😒😒😒

There were only two major injuries recorded in their (and my) data yesterday.

The first of the three was during a pre-race trial, so because it didn't happen in front of the camera it's not important enough to be recorded in the injury data.

That said, it's only the second time Cambridge has recorded two major injuries during a race meet since the beginning of the racing season on 1 Aug.

Full season & 3rd quarter major injuries at Cambridge both still remain within the 0.6% threshold.

image.png.cba994fbeeb4f2cf1b7d96216a602ce0.png

image.png.be1b38857bf4f7499443eccf35fb8da3.png

Edited by Yankiwi

• 4 weeks later...