Bit Of A Yarn

Trackside must have all sorts of money to throw away

Mark D

38 minutes ago, Mark D said:
We have a new player in the #TABEverest with New Zealand  TAB's Trackside taking over the Inglis slot and securing Golden Eagle and TJ Smith winner I Wish I Win to run in the $20 million epic in October. 👀

·
Views

Mark Daly

Entain have put the money up

Victorian star secures Everest slot

Ryan Reynolds
Ryan Reynolds@Reynolds_R

7:40am

I Wish I Win takes out the T.J. Smith Stakes at Randwick. (Image: Bradley Photos)
I Wish I Win claiming the T.J. Smith Stakes ahead of Giga Kick and Nature Strip (Image: Bradley Photos)

Victorian star I Wish I Win will head to the Everest after securing a slot in the race.

Trackside Media offered I Wish I Win's connections a spot in the race after securing the slot off Inglis.

Entain played a significant role in helping Trackside Media secure Inglis’ slot.

I Wish I Win, prepared by champion trainer Peter Moody, is likely to resume in the Group 2 McEwen Stakes at The Valley in early September.

Victorian horses dominate the market for this year's Everest, with Clayton Douglas-trained Giga Kick the favourite for the race.

Both horses could go head-to-head in the McEwen in a tantalising early spring battle between the country's two best sprinters.

“It is the first time I’ve had a horse good enough to have a crack at The Everest and I’m delighted to have secured a slot this far out,” Moody said.

“It will allow us to really tailor his preparation down to the minute.

“I’m also thrilled to be going on this ride with my good mates at Waikato Stud. We have enjoyed a long association and this horse is very special to all of us.”

Waikato Stud's Mark Chittick said he was excited to run in the race in a slot controlled by New Zealanders.

“We had been involved in discussions with a number of the slot holders, but when we found out that a Kiwi company had secured a slot in this year’s race it became a very easy decision,” Chittick said.

“I Wish I Win has been a dream horse for us. He has quickly gone through the grades and to

think he has now secured a spot to race for A$20M is a pinch yourself moment."

Entain New Zealand’s Managing Director, Cameron Rodger, said securing a slot in The Everest on behalf of Trackside was a significant moment and was an opportunity to celebrate the New Zealand thoroughbred racing and breeding industries.

“To go across with a New Zealand bred  superstar in I Wish I Win and with a legitimate chance to win is an absolute thrill for all the  team at Entain," he said.

“New Zealand has a very proud racing heritage, but for a number of years the industry  has been underfunded and losing ground. As we have seen with the recent increases in stakes money, as a result of the new strategic agreement with Entain, we are ready to kick back in a big way.”

15 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Entain New Zealand’s Managing Director, Cameron Rodger, said securing a slot in The Everest on behalf of Trackside was a significant moment and was an opportunity to celebrate the New Zealand thoroughbred racing and breeding industries.

So Rodger is trained as a lawyer and his only "real" job as such was for the Racing Board/TAB.  What is his marketing and wagering experiences/skills?

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

I'm not sure it is all that different.

Really? Can't really think of any comparable marketing initiative by Trackside in recent times? In fact, I'm struggling to recall any significant marketing initiative by Trackside at all.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, curious said:

Really? Can't really think of any comparable marketing initiative by Trackside in recent times? In fact, I'm struggling to recall any significant marketing initiative by Trackside at all.

Explain how it is a "significant marketing initiative"?  How will its "significance" or success outcomes be measured?  New viewers to a channel behind a pay wall?  Or will they make it free to view Everest week?

At least they are getting out of their box and showing some initiative.  Time will tell if it a good one or not, but, jeez, the alternative - doing more of what we do well, i.e. nothing - is not really going to take us anywhere.

2 minutes ago, Freda said:

At least they are getting out of their box and showing some initiative.  Time will tell if it a good one or not, but, jeez, the alternative - doing more of what we do well, i.e. nothing - is not really going to take us anywhere.

But we haven't seen what it is that they are doing.  They just spent around a $1m buying a slot for Waikato Studs horse.  Geez you guys talk about the mafia all the time!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

But we haven't seen what it is that they are doing.  They just spent around a $1m buying a slot for Waikato Studs horse.  Geez you guys talk about the mafia all the time!

No such thing as the mafia in nz racing ... 😂

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

I don't see this as showing initiative at all.  It wreaks of all sorts of things to me.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, The Centaur said:

I must be missing something. Of what possible interest is the Everest or the Trackside splashout on this side of the Tasman. 

I don't think that's the point is it? This is surely about taking the Trackside brand to Australia and the world.

2 hours ago, curious said:

I don't think that's the point is it? This is surely about taking the Trackside brand to Australia and the world.

Now I know you are being sarcastic.

Perhaps the TABNZ could spend a $1m and fix the updating issue they have with their app and pub system odds.

• Like 1

I see they are now saying it's Entain in partnership with NZTAB but the Trackside slot?

The glamour son of Savabeel will contest the A$20 million The TAB Everest (1200m) at Randwick on October 28 in the Trackside slot held by the New Zealand TAB, in partnership with Entain.

14 hours ago, curious said:

I see they are now saying it's Entain in partnership with NZTAB but the Trackside slot?

The glamour son of Savabeel will contest the A$20 million The TAB Everest (1200m) at Randwick on October 28 in the Trackside slot held by the New Zealand TAB, in partnership with Entain.

In his address to groups I thought Dean said Entain would be funding affairs for the first few years so, my take on that would be this marketing exercise would not impact on NZTAB figures.  Certainly Trackside would not be in a position to trump up cash.

As for taking the Trackside brand to Australia and the world, I think that is an odd marketing strategy.  Definitely the "different" some are seeking.

As Dean admits to being a punter from way back he must think I Wish I Win creates less of a gamble than other runners and the chances of recouping the betting investment are strong.

44 minutes ago, Special Agent said:

As Dean admits to being a punter from way back he must think I Wish I Win creates less of a gamble than other runners and the chances of recouping the betting investment are strong.

Isn't the biggest beneficiary of this "marketing initiative" Waikato Stud?  Wasn't Chittick one of the biggest critics recently of the TABNZ?