Bit Of A Yarn

When does the Harness Racing Season start??

Brodie

1 hour ago, Gammalite said:

Yes . you are right . is that you want to hear. 

You can Race your 2 year old all through the year now if you want to . He has already turned 2 from foaling date . 

Before , the way it was >>> very few 2 yearolds are good enough to run 1.56 -2.00 min mile before new -year . Very few raced first half of the season .

NOW,  with the new season dates >>> they are nearly 3 years old,  when al the good races come on (including Sires Stakes ) later in year , so obviously A Lot more horses are Ready and Able to Cope ?    6 months more mature 

Seems so very rational to me . Most of the 'Nice ' 2 year olds in Australia will be beginning their Spring campaigns soon . Horses love racing Spring and Summer when feeling great.  

Didn't have to fire up those 2 year olds  in the Autumn anymore if you don't want too. Fantastic...

Sack your trainer if you want that Autumn cash that they didn't collect for you. But the more patient owners and trainers prosper. And the Horses DEFINITELY BENIFIT not being rushed. 

Lol when I was in NZ , the trainers were Notorious for not getting horses going till they were 4 a lot of the time 😉 . very slow to get them racing . This season system helps them blokes Ten fold lol....

Its not about the need to be right.You may think thats my aim,but i know myself better.I just say what i think and never worry whether someone disagrees.Debating things on bit of a yarn gives me something to do when i'm bored and helps me use my brain which doesn't get as much use as it should to stay sharp. 

Besides I haven't been suggesting you were wrong when you say 6 months more age on a young horse before its pressured in training will help its longevity. Thats a given.

I have been discussing whether changing 2 races to the end of the year will cause trainers/owners to give their horses more time to develop when you consider the $12,000 extra they get when getting the first 2 year old win throughout the year.

My point has been most trainers will still race them when they are ready to race,not before,not after.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

What do you define as "the Racing Season"?

The horses age is adjusted 1 January.  

The premierships run 1 January to 31 December.

What is the season other than a financial year according to the Racing Act?

Everything now says the racing SEASON should be Jan to Dec, but no HRNZ says it is Aug to July and they call it racing YEAR!

What is the reason that they maintain that the SEASON is Aug to July that cant be easily changed?

Makes no sense!!

43 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Everything now says the racing SEASON should be Jan to Dec, but no HRNZ says it is Aug to July and they call it racing YEAR!

What is the reason that they maintain that the SEASON is Aug to July that cant be easily changed?

Makes no sense!!

It takes a while to get legislation through parliament.They need to change the racing act.Several parliamentary sittings involved .Has to be drafted,then has 3 readings,may be referred to select committee then it is ranked priority wise as to whether it goes before parliament. HRNZ would have known that when they decided to change.No denying its confused most people.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, the galah said:

It takes a while to get legislation through parliament.They need to change the racing act.Several parliamentary sittings involved .Has to be drafted,then has 3 readings,may be referred to select committee then it is ranked priority wise as to whether it goes before parliament. HRNZ would have known that when they decided to change.No denying its confused most people.

No wonder we are in the proverbial!

Surely it should be far easier than than that for something so simple that doesn’t affect too much?

And yet Liebour  passed right stupid law changes in urgency behind closed doors overnight, that was detrimental to NEW ZEALAND  citizens!  

I wonder how hrnz updates the ages in their system given the january 1 birthday doesn't get applied in a horses first year of birth. i.e. born on say 1.10.22 doesn't have a birthday on 1 january 2023,but turns 1 on 1 january 2024. Maybe they created some new type of computer programme to get around it?

And i wonder what they do in the usa,because a nz 2 year old born before 1 january is in fact a 3  year old by usa standards.

21 minutes ago, the galah said:

I wonder how hrnz updates the ages in their system given the january 1 birthday doesn't get applied in a horses first year of birth. i.e. born on say 1.10.22 doesn't have a birthday on 1 january 2023,but turns 1 on 1 january 2024. Maybe they created some new type of computer programme to get around it?

Is that any different to when the date was set at 1 August?

5 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Is that any different to when the date was set at 1 August?

Yes. The first birthday of horses born since last year no longer counts.Thats for all foals born prior to 31 december,which would i guess be about 98%.They turn 0 on their first birthday and turn 1 on their 2nd birthday,etc. Previously they turned 1 on their first birthday when it was 1 august.Thats one of the reasons its confusing.

Edited by the galah

16 hours ago, the galah said:

Yes. The first birthday of horses born since last year no longer counts.Thats for all foals born prior to 31 december,which would i guess be about 98%.They turn 0 on their first birthday and turn 1 on their 2nd birthday,etc. Previously they turned 1 on their first birthday when it was 1 august.Thats one of the reasons its confusing.

But there was a leeway where early foals I.e. those that were born prior to 1 August were still counted as zero on the first 1 August date post their foaling.

The new system makes it clearer and easier for all concerned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

But there was a leeway where early foals I.e. those that were born prior to 1 August were still counted as zero on the first 1 August date post their foaling.

Exactly right Chief. 

Most foals are born late Spring (Oct- November into early December) 

NEW system with the good new 'CALENDER YEAR' season they are therefore actually 13-14 months old when 'Officially turning one (yearling)  on January 1st. ........way more mature than the

OLD system they were just 8-9 months old when becoming an 'official' yearling on August 1st each year.  way to young to be called a one-year old ? 

Easy to see which is 'Best' for the horse . (accuracy and developement )  A great innovation. 

4 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Your reply is very strange. 

Mares aren't sent to studs in the middle of winter.The average gestation period is 11 months 1 week.

Studs don't serve mares in the middle of winter.

Mares don't come into season in the middle of winter and if they did no one gets them served then anyway.

Thats nature.

Edited by the galah