• 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies

Announcements

• As Meatloaf sang.....I would do anything for love. But love of what? a woman, success, $$$, Glory ? The All Star domination of harness racing has set new benchmarks. At times I looked on in awe and seized the opportunity to make some very easy money. If the money was up, it was going to the All Stars and their owners. At times the awe turned to curiosity. How does a horse work harder than everything else in the race yet still easily dominate them? How do Cardigan Bays keep rolling off the production line? Despite the Light and Sound, John Seaton "situation', I've never suspected skullduggery.  Like Gammalite, we remember the early days of Mark Purdon. He's been standing out with excellence at what he does for a long time. I've doffed my invincible cap to him many times. He's also got a great eye for picking out a potential star. This will not go unnoticed by owners with deep pockets. I've never actually met Mark but he strikes me as an affable guy easy to get along with. This will also appeal to owners. You add a driver like Natalie Rasmussen to that mix, a proven training and nutrition method along with a team in the background all on the same page you have the perfect recipe for success.  Mark and Natalie obviously know exactly how to get the best out their charges. That would all be pointless if they didn't also know how to control the outcome of races as quickly as possible from the off. They were near unbeatable. This was even more so when Natalie took the drive. Along the way I haven't embraced this domination. Some owners / trainers routinely come up with a star on the track. For most others it's the dream that keeps them in the game. Imagine finally breeding or buying a horse capable of winning G1's but having virtually no hope of doing so in your home country. Would you become disillusioned? Call me old fashioned but I love watching the jubilation and joy of people winning their first Group 1. They remind me of Dick Tayler winning the 1974 Commonwealth Games 10,000 metres Gold medal in Christchurch. That never stopped me being in awe of the All Stars but it did present a personal quandary. When partnerships come to an end and a different love comes into play for the captain, how can a stable continue on with the same domination? That sort of domination needs a 100% full time commitment and passion.  What Mark has said publicly does not marry up with that. It's one thing to oversee the goings on from a far careful not to undermine the next generation and to be living that day in day out. I believe Mark will likely always have some involvement leading up to the biggest days on the calendar but not the month in month out dynamic. As a result, asking the question about the end of the All Star domination is a reasonable question rather than going the "early crow". For the record, I'm happy to share my perspective prior to the event rather than be a Monday punter after the fact. I don't ask the question based on the Welcome Stakes alone but instead factor in multiple dynamics I've been witnessing. I believe The Galah makes some valid points and does his homework. Some I agree with, some not so much. He has a good eye, a good brain, a ton of experience and a perspective I enjoy reading which is what this site is about....Right?   Anecdotal evidence and factual number crunching are obviously two different things. Some times the anecdotal evidence is contradicted and sometimes the stats are contradicted. I value both.  I have a catalog of anecdotal evidence that I won't share with you at this time as my good lady is waiting for me to bring in her cup of tea with a smile. I'll collect my reward later   I will say this. I've made a small fortune over the years from anecdotal evidence that wasn't always backed up by the stats. My advice is ignore anecdotal evidence at your peril.  To close, I have always admired the Jones / Butt dynasty. I know some of them personally and you'll struggle to meet finer people anywhere in life. They are Gold. I believe the Purdon Dynasty deserve equal admiration and respect.   
    • All eyes were on six-time group 1 winner Inspiral, ridden by John and Thady Gosden's new stable jockey Kieran Shoemark for the first time, but unflappable understudy Robert Havlin called the shots from the word go on Audience.View the full article
    • Millionaire Fluffy Socks picked up her fourth graded victory May 18 as she pulled away from a small field in the $99,000 Gallorette Stakes (G3T) at Pimlico Race Course.View the full article
    • Jockey Joe Talamo's return to Santa Anita Park became official May 17 when he rode 24-1 longshot Ringtone in the first race. While the result reflected Ringtone's odds, a no-threat seventh, Talamo had no shortage of well-wishers after dismounting.View the full article
    • It is Preakness Day at Pimlico Race Course and it is starting off as a wet one with rain expected to persist through the morning and with a chance for additional rain later in the afternoon. View the full article
  • Topics