• 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies

Announcements

• A life well lived.  Head of a champion family. Respect to a man that will be well remembered by many.   If there is a heaven, Lisa and Maire will be waiting to greet him with open arms. 
    • Hall of Fame trainer Graeme Rogerson is hoping to see his distinctive red, blue and green colours feature prominently at Te Rapa on both of the next two Saturdays. Team Rogerson will be represented by three runners at the Hamilton track this weekend. Seven days later, unbeaten two-year-old Domain Ace (NZ) (Swiss Ace) will shoot for his second black-type win in a row in the Listed Waikato Equine Veterinary Centre 2YO Stakes (1400m). “I think we’ve got a nice team in at Te Rapa tomorrow, and then I’m looking forward to running Domain Ace in the stakes race there next weekend,” Rogerson said. “He’s quite an exciting horse, I really like him.” Team Rogerson won last year’s edition of the Waikato Equine Veterinary Centre 2YO Stakes with Solidify (NZ) (Redwood), who kicks off the stable’s Te Rapa contingent this Saturday with a run in the Aon Insurance Brokers 3YO. The Redwood gelding placed in the Gr.2 Hawke’s Bay Guineas (1400m) in late September. After mixed results through the late spring and summer, he has shown promising signs with placings in both of his last two starts including last Saturday’s Gr.3 Championship Stakes (2100m). “I’m happy with how Solidify is going at the moment,” Rogerson said. “He ran a good, honest race for second in the Championship Stakes the other day. He’s very well and is going into this weekend in good order. He likes Te Rapa, he’s won twice there before, and I’d expect him to be competitive. A bit of the cut out of the track suits him. “I’m not sure whether he’s a true stayer or if he’s better suited to sticking around a mile. We’ll see how he goes this weekend before working out what we do with him next. We could look at the Rotorua Cup (Listed, 2200m) in a couple of weeks, or we could find some more 1600m races like this for him. We’ll see.” Zorro’s Revenge (NZ) (Ferrando) will make the second start of his career in Saturday’s Cambridge Raceway 2YO. A first-crop son of Rogerson’s Group One-performed sprinter Ferrando, Zorro’s Revenge made his debut with a fifth over 1100m at Te Rapa on April 14. “I quite like him,” Rogerson said. “He was wide without cover the other day and did a few things wrong, but he still hit the line well. I’d expect him to improve.” Waikato Stud homebred Savacat (NZ) (Savabeel) will shoot for back-to-back Te Rapa wins in Saturday’s Cambridge Equine Hospital (2400m), having won a Rating 65 event over the same course and distance two wweks ago. “I think she’s a big, strong mare who’s getting better with racing,” Rogerson said. “I just hope the track’s not too wet. If the conditions are similar to the other day, she should be a very good chance again.” Savacat is a well-related daughter of Savabeel and the stakes-winning mare Donna Cattiva (NZ) (Captain Rio), who is a full-sister to Group One winner Il Quello Veloce (NZ). View the full article
    • Cambridge trainers Roger James and Robert Wellwood are heading into Saturday’s meeting at Te Rapa with the fixed-odds favourites for both of the thoroughbred mecca’s traditional flagship races. This meeting was staged by the Cambridge Jockey Club until last year’s merger with the Waikato Racing Club and Waipa Racing Club to form Waikato Thoroughbred Racing. It features both of the black-type races formerly run under the Cambridge name – the Gr.2 Travis Stakes (2000m) and the Gr.3 Inglis Sales Cambridge Breeders’ Stakes (1200m). James has previously tasted success in both races, winning the Cambridge Breeders’ Stakes with Shees Flawless (NZ) (Fully Fledged) in 2015 and teaming up with Wellwood to take out the Travis Stakes in 2022 in a career finale for Group One-winning mare Two Illicit (NZ) (Jimmy Choux). The Kingsclere Stables team will attempt to replicate that latter result on Saturday with Apostrophe (NZ) (Tavistock), who the TAB rates a $1.75 favourite for what is likely to be her final career start in the Travis Stakes. The daughter of Tavistock was bought by James and Wellwood for $60,000 as a yearling at Karaka in 2019, and she has turned that into more than $228,000 from a 20-start career that has produced six wins and five placings. Apostrophe has enjoyed a career-best campaign as a six-year-old this season. After making a big impression with a Rating 75 victory at Hastings in the spring, she graduated to black-type class with second placings in photo finishes to the Gr.3 Anniversary Handicap (1600m) and Gr.3 Cuddle Stakes (2000m). She stretched out beyond 1600m for the first time in the Gr.3 Manawatu Breeders’ Stakes (2100m) at Trentham on April 6, where she finished powerfully from off the pace to win going away by two and a half lengths. “I’d say that there’s every possibility that this will be the last race of her career,” James said. “It was very pleasing to see her get that first Group win last start. All the way through her career, she’s given us the impression that getting up over ground would really suit her, but until this season we haven’t quite got to the point of a campaign with her where we’ve felt she was strong enough. “This time in, her runs over a mile were very promising and she was showing us that she was ready to go further. We finally had the chance to give her that opportunity at Trentham last start, and it was a very convincing win. “Everything has gone to plan with her since then. She doesn’t take much work and is fit and ready for Saturday, where Masa (Hashizume) will ride her again.” James and Wellwood also have strong representation in the Cambridge Breeders’ Stakes, where December (NZ) (Shamexpress) is rated the $4.20 favourite and Irish Legacy (I Am Invincible) is fourth favourite at $8. December was a smart winner over 1200m in his first two starts in November, then stepped up to 1400m and finished eighth in the Gr.2 Auckland Guineas on Boxing Day. The Shamexpress gelding was an eye-catching sixth behind Crocetti (NZ) (Zacinto) in the Gr.3 Almanzor Trophy (1200m) in late January, then returned to the winning groove with a convincing performance at Taupo on March 8. “December’s form is very good generally, and he’s pleased us in the lead-up to this race,” James said. “I think being on the fresh side helps him, and he should be well suited to a track like Te Rapa.” Irish Legacy boasts world-class pedigree credentials, being by superstar sire I Am Invincible out of the multiple Group One-winning Savabeel mare Shillelagh (NZ). She was a dominant debut winner at Taupo in February, beating subsequent three-race winner Billy Lincoln (NZ) (Belardo) by two and a half lengths. Irish Legacy stepped into stakes company with a flying finish for third in the Gr.3 Mufhasa Stakes (1400m) in her second career start, then finished eighth in the Gr.2 Wellington Guineas (1400m). “The wet track was no friend to Irish Legacy at Trentham last time, but her runs prior to that had been very promising,” James said. “She’s shown a fair amount of ability. Her Achilles heel is that she hasn’t been great out of the barriers. “It’s a strong field on Saturday, so they’ll both need to be at the top of their game.” View the full article
    • Notable black-type performances in both New Zealand and Australia on ANZAC Day may have set the tone for a big trans-Tasman weekend for Andrew Forsman. The Cambridge trainer won Thursday’s Listed ANZAC Mile (1600m) at Otaki with Mr Mojo Risin’ (NZ) (Deep Field), then finished third in the Listed ANZAC Day Stakes (1400m) at Flemington with promising two-year-old Yaldi (NZ). The son of Ardrossan had been a two-length winner at Pukekohe in his only previous start. “It was a really good day yesterday and I’m very happy with how the team’s going at the moment,” Forsman said. “I’ll have a chat with the Jomara Bloodstock team about where we go next with Mr Mojo Risin’. There’s not a whole lot of options coming up for him in New Zealand, so we might look at taking him back to Australia. “Yaldi will fly back home to New Zealand next week. It was very much a hit-and-run mission for that one race yesterday, and I think it served its purpose really well.” At Te Rapa on Saturday, Forsman will be represented by Mary Shan (NZ) (Almanzor) and Koheroa (I Am Invincible) in the Gr.3 Inglis Sales Cambridge Breeders’ Stakes (1200m), followed by White Noise (NZ) (El Roca), Saint Bathans (Maurice) and Devastate (NZ) (Vadamos) in the rescheduled Gr.3 Manco Easter Handicap (1600m). Later in the afternoon, last-start Gr.1 New Zealand Oaks (2400m) runner-up Positivity (NZ) (Almanzor) will contest the Gr.1 Australasian Oaks (2000m) at Morphettville. The Cambridge Breeders’ Stakes will be the first appearance in almost three months for Mary Shan, whose four-length maiden win in October was followed by a string of quality performances against elite three-year-old company. The daughter of Almanzor finished second in the Gr.2 Soliloquy Stakes (1400m), fifth in the Gr.1 New Zealand 1000 Guineas (1600m), second in the Gr.2 Eight Carat Classic (1600m), fourth in the Gr.1 Levin Classic (1600m) and a last-start fifth in the Gr.2 David & Karyn Ellis Fillies’ Classic (2000m). “She’s had a nice few weeks in the paddock and has come back in really good order,” Forsman said. “She hasn’t trialled, but she went well in a recent exhibition gallop. “We’ve always been treating this race as mainly just a run to get her going, and I think the wide draw (gate 16) is going to make it very hard for her over 1200m. She’s clearly going to have to get back from there. If the track is playing evenly, hopefully she can make a bit of a run at them in the straight. “There’s a thought of taking her to Brisbane after this, but no decisions have been made on that yet. We’ll work out a plan once we’ve got this resuming run out of the way.” Koheroa has been green in his four-start career so far, but was a stylish maiden winner at Tauranga in January and was narrowly beaten by Platinum Attack (Santos) in his most recent start at Trentham on April 6. “He’s been doing a few things wrong but has plenty of ability,” Forsman said. “He’s still big and raw. He’ll get his head around things with a bit more racing. That’s partly why we’ve been keeping him to 1200m so far. With a decent tempo on, he’s got a better chance to relax in the running. “He’s certainly got the ability to be right in the finish on Saturday if he gets a bit of luck and does things right.” The Easter Handicap was meant to be run at Ellerslie last Saturday, but the meeting was abandoned after a horse slipped in the previous race on the card. The Easter was relocated to Te Rapa, where White Noise has previously been a winner while Saint Bathans and Devastate have both placed. “They’ve all performed at the course previously, although in Saint Bathans’ case, it was back when he was a younger horse,” Forsman said. “I probably would have preferred the race to be run right-handed at Ellerslie for him. “Devastate has the ability to put himself on the speed and he should be pretty comfortable around Te Rapa. White Noise has won there before, albeit on a more rain-affected track than he’s likely to strike this weekend. “I think this little bit of rain that we’re getting in the Waikato today should be a help for all three of them, and they’re all in good order.” Forsman also gave a glowing report about Positivity’s build-up to the Oaks in Adelaide. “Everything’s gone great with her,” he said. “She left Flemington last night and arrived in Adelaide this morning,” he said. “It’s not easy coming out of an Oaks preparation at home with some hard racing, then dropping back to 2000m for a Group One race in Australia like this. But she seems to be thriving and handling everything really well at this stage.” View the full article
  • Topics