Bit Of A Yarn

The New Calendar

I just had a very quick look at the new calendar for 24/25. Lots of extra meetings across the three codes apparently, but I didn't see any mention of exact figures for galloping, so not sure if there are more or fewer galloping meetings, or perhaps exactly the same.

The notable difference is all the new Sunday meetings. Gallops virtually every Sunday, two gallops on many of them and often two gallops, a couple of trots and even dogs on a Sunday. So Sunday is to become the big race day of the week after the gallops had previously abandoned it. Now they have abandoned Fridays to provide the new Sunday meetings.

It is clearly all designed by Entain with some new theory, largely based around Saturdays becoming the day for NZ punters to bet on Aussie races.

I do find this a bit strange to be honest. Sunday is traditionally a poor day for off course turnovers as most punters have lost most of their money betting on Saturday. Sunday was originally intended as the day to encourage on course turnover as many people work or are occupied on Saturdays, and Sunday is their only remaining leisure day. But, I had understood on course turnover is no longer considered important. All very confusing.

You have to feel a bit sorry for the trots. Not only have they been allocated heaps of new meetings in the North, where there are no horses, but the exclusive little slot they previously had on Sundays without much competition has now been intruded on by a couple of gallops meetings most Sundays.

Conversely, Friday which should be a good day for off course turnover has virtually been abandoned. Obviously Entain feel there is enough racing coming out of Orange and Cessnock to make the most of Fridays.

Without getting into specifics, I do notice that in Canterbury the only meeting between Timaru on 21 November and Ashburton on 18 December is an 8 race AWT meeting at Riccarton. One 8 race AWT meeting in the space of four weeks in mid summer! The CD has 9 meetings during that period. Are there three times as many horses in the CD compared to Canterbury? There is surely a message there for all Canty trainers who have horses that aren't quite of Cup Week standard. No such thing as tiered racing in NZ, or in Canty at least. Does NZTR consult with the trainers assoc? And does the trainers assoc in Canty come back with "We have consulted with our members and every single one of them is aiming all of their horses at Cup Week and would then like a six week spell after that, except perhaps for an AWT meeting which they are all keen on."

Just on the subject of 8 race meetings, I notice that virtually all gallops meetings are scheduled to have 8 races. Even those recent meetings that have run 9 or 10 races. Sure they do sometimes split races if there is an excess number of noms, but not always. But splitting races is never as a good an approach as programming properly in the first place. All well and good to split 40 noms for a 65 1,400m race into two races, but probably better to programme the Rating 65 races over 1,200m, 1,400m and 1,600m in the first place.

And on the subject of Timaru. Bad move to successfully conduct a 9 race card on a good 4 yesterday. That meeting has gone altogether. Can't have them showing up the "brains trust' at head office. All the clubs that have had abandoned meetings over the last few months are successfully entrenched in the calendar for next season though. It certainly is an interesting run industry. 

• Like 3
  • Champ Post 2

Some decisions that are certainly hard to fathom.  The extra meetings for trots in the north are astonishing...someone like the enterprising Michael House will no doubt target many of them, but otherwise, where will the horses come from?

All the tinkering seems to have little real connect with what is needed in any specific district.

As far as Canterbury is concerned, I must re-iterate what I was told by Tim Mills, that the South Island is considered 'one area' by NZTR.    Any desire to increase permits in Canterbury over [especially] that summer period will be waved away.    And the T.A, certainly in our area, was not consulted in any way.

There have been so many changes to programming and funding over the years, and we are told we mustn't look back, but forward;  or worse, that we are 'negative' and against progress.  But, really?  I can't for the life of me see much 'progress ' here.

As far as Timaru is concerned, it beggars belief that this club would be treated this way.  Sure, it has had its problems, financially esp, over the years...I recall, a VERY long time ago, when the club gave up some weekend dates and opted for Friday, as the remuneration from off course betting was much better at that time.   Naturally, on-course participation fell away and the club battled for a fair while.  Recently it has managed very well and now produces an excellent raceday.     Surely success should be encouraged? rewarded?  but seemingly not.

Another factor with much more Sunday racing - staff.  The small teams with friend or family involvement will probably battle on, as they do now;  but extra labour costs will be a big factor for many.   The Chief will point out that Sunday trading has to be dealt with by many businesses and he is right in that respect..but capable and reliable staff to travel horses, or conversely to be left behind to manage the home team aren't that easy to find.  We're not talking checkout operators here, whatever some may think about stable staff.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Freda said:

Some decisions that are certainly hard to fathom.  The extra meetings for trots in the north are astonishing...someone like the enterprising Michael House will no doubt target many of them, but otherwise, where will the horses come from?

All the tinkering seems to have little real connect with what is needed in any specific district.

As far as Canterbury is concerned, I must re-iterate what I was told by Tim Mills, that the South Island is considered 'one area' by NZTR.    Any desire to increase permits in Canterbury over [especially] that summer period will be waved away.    And the T.A, certainly in our area, was not consulted in any way.

There have been so many changes to programming and funding over the years, and we are told we mustn't look back, but forward;  or worse, that we are 'negative' and against progress.  But, really?  I can't for the life of me see much 'progress ' here.

As far as Timaru is concerned, it beggars belief that this club would be treated this way.  Sure, it has had its problems, financially esp, over the years...I recall, a VERY long time ago, when the club gave up some weekend dates and opted for Friday, as the remuneration from off course betting was much better at that time.   Naturally, on-course participation fell away and the club battled for a fair while.  Recently it has managed very well and now produces an excellent raceday.     Surely success should be encouraged? rewarded?  but seemingly not.

Another factor with much more Sunday racing - staff.  The small teams with friend or family involvement will probably battle on, as they do now;  but extra labour costs will be a big factor for many.   The Chief will point out that Sunday trading has to be dealt with by many businesses and he is right in that respect..but capable and reliable staff to travel horses, or conversely to be left behind to manage the home team aren't that easy to find.  We're not talking checkout operators here, whatever some may think about stable staff.

Some great points, but racing in this country just shoots itself in the foot over and over again.

As for the staff well they would not have even considered it, you'd think the Aus night racing situation would have the consider it, but there is no consultation outside of the preferred few , no analysis , no initiative , too busy writing apologies over abandonments.

• Like 1

Yes, I think the failure to address the Crusader cachment summer programming is devastating. It surely makes it nonviable to keep many average horses in work in Canterbury over that period. Pitty used to address it by relocating  a chunk of the team to Wakouaiti for the summer I think but for most trainers it's not going to be feasible to have a Canterbury and southern division for the summer.

• Like 1

Has there been any information about the total number of galloping meetings compared to the current season? Normally when things like this are announced they mention something about the total number of licences etc and any significant changes in each region. I haven't spotted anything like that this time.

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

Who leads that?

Don't you have a local programming committee anymore?  If you do - who leads that?

Yes, there is a programming committee, and I must correct my statement that of the T.A. wasn't involved...apparently they were, at least as far as the extra Sundays were concerned.  They were prepared to go along with that provided that there was a stakemoney increase to reflect the extra costs. 

I think the gallops got no extra days, when i started looking at calendar I noticed Southland on Oct 4 and Timaru on Nov 21, I thought maybe new days.  but they just shuffled the cards and dealt a new hand, harness racing getting so many, well they can allocate them, don't necessarily mean they will run them all, time will tell.

Edited by mikeynz

3 hours ago, Freda said:

Yes, there is a programming committee, and I must correct my statement that of the T.A. wasn't involved...apparently they were, at least as far as the extra Sundays were concerned.  They were prepared to go along with that provided that there was a stakemoney increase to reflect the extra costs. 

What's the point of stakes increases if you can't get a start for your gelding?  

Synthetic Innovation Races - August 2024

Synthetic Innovation Races – August 2024 

The following races have been approved as Synthetic Innovation Races. 

• Canterbury JC at Riccarton Park, Wednesday 7 August - 1200m (Nomination Friday 2 August) 
  • WTR at Cambridge, Thursday 8 August - 2000m (Nomination Monday 6 August) 
  • Rangitikei RC at Awapuni, Friday 9 August - 1400m (Nomination Monday 6 August) 

OPEN HCP – SPEC COND 

Stake: $100,000 - $57,500, $18,500, $9,000, $5,000, $2,500, 6th-10th $1,500 

Maximum Weight: 62kg Minimum Weight: 54kg 

Apprentice Allowances 

Special Conditions: 

1. Open to ALL horses that have had at least three starts on a Synthetic Track in New Zealand since 1 May 2023. 
  2. If at the time of final withdrawal the number of horses remaining in the field is more than the starting limit, the Club/NZTR reserves the to select the field based on the criteria detailed in Special Condition 3 below. 
  3. The order of entry into the field will be determined in order of:  

(3.1) Winners of three or more races on a synthetic racing surface since 1 May 2023 

(3.2) Winners of two races on a synthetic racing surface since 1 May 2023 

(3.3) Winners of one race on a synthetic racing surface since 1 May 2023 

(3.4) Horses placed second two or more times on a synthetic racing surface since 1 May 2023 

(3.5) Horses placed second on a synthetic racing surface since 1 May 2023 

(3.6) Horses placed third two or more times on a synthetic racing surface since 1 May 2023  

(3.7) Horses placed third on a synthetic racing surface since 1 May 2023 

(3.8) Horses on a similar level because of this policy will be selected based on their rating with the highest rated horse being selected first and so on. 

(3.9) Horses on the same rating will be selected by the Handicapper 

27 minutes ago, curious said:

Synthetic Innovation Races - August 2024

Synthetic Innovation Races – August 2024 

The following races have been approved as Synthetic Innovation Races. 

• Canterbury JC at Riccarton Park, Wednesday 7 August - 1200m (Nomination Friday 2 August) 
  • WTR at Cambridge, Thursday 8 August - 2000m (Nomination Monday 6 August) 
  • Rangitikei RC at Awapuni, Friday 9 August - 1400m (Nomination Monday 6 August) 

OPEN HCP – SPEC COND 

Stake: $100,000 - $57,500, $18,500, $9,000, $5,000, $2,500, 6th-10th $1,500 

Maximum Weight: 62kg Minimum Weight: 54kg 

Apprentice Allowances 

Special Conditions: 

1. Open to ALL horses that have had at least three starts on a Synthetic Track in New Zealand since 1 May 2023. 
  2. If at the time of final withdrawal the number of horses remaining in the field is more than the starting limit, the Club/NZTR reserves the to select the field based on the criteria detailed in Special Condition 3 below. 
  3. The order of entry into the field will be determined in order of:  

(3.1) Winners of three or more races on a synthetic racing surface since 1 May 2023 

(3.2) Winners of two races on a synthetic racing surface since 1 May 2023 

(3.3) Winners of one race on a synthetic racing surface since 1 May 2023 

(3.4) Horses placed second two or more times on a synthetic racing surface since 1 May 2023 

(3.5) Horses placed second on a synthetic racing surface since 1 May 2023 

(3.6) Horses placed third two or more times on a synthetic racing surface since 1 May 2023  

(3.7) Horses placed third on a synthetic racing surface since 1 May 2023 

(3.8) Horses on a similar level because of this policy will be selected based on their rating with the highest rated horse being selected first and so on. 

(3.9) Horses on the same rating will be selected by the Handicapper 

Very exciting.

18 minutes ago, Doomed said:

Very exciting.

Are you being serious, or is the comment tongue in cheek?  Exciting if your horse likes the synthetic.  They may take time to flourish but, some of the other innovation races have fallen short in a few areas.

• Like 1

On 25/04/2024 at 1:34 PM, Huey said:

Nepotism exists in a very large way in the NZ industry, facts & figures mean nothing . One of the reasons we are heading towards oblivion !

Propaganda rules! more so that ever!

For ownership, I recon, that approach is rather 'doubled edge sword!'  The propagator pleases a select few, others, either gets brutalized by 'the reality of racing', get lucky, mostly though, get burnt and leave... rather hard to due diligence in this industry!

Of course, 'the punter' can go f themselves with large rip of take out!

• Like 1

On 4/26/2024 at 2:57 PM, mikeynz said:

I think the gallops got no extra days, when i started looking at calendar I noticed Southland on Oct 4 and Timaru on Nov 21, I thought maybe new days.  but they just shuffled the cards and dealt a new hand, harness racing getting so many, well they can allocate them, don't necessarily mean they will run them all, time will tell.

I  note Timaru does have 1 more day, September 25, also race October 6, same day as Methven trots,  maybe gallops have got some extra days, I also note Monday meetings at Tauranga and Whanganui on their respective anniversary days.

Still think it's a bit odd Harness on Sunday now having more competition, Sunday was their day, oh well the experts know better, maybe.

Edited by mikeynz