• Journalists
    • 0 replies
      • Journalists
    • 0 replies
    • Journalists

Galleon to join Lindsay Park team

• Journalists
    • 0 replies

• First Light spaced his rivals in the Group 3 Colin Stephen Quality. Photo: RacingNSW The Chris Waller-trained First Light ($4.40) has booked his ticket to the Group 1 Metropolitan Handicap (2400m) after a dominant display in the Group 3 Colin Stephen Quality (2400m) at Rosehill on Saturday afternoon. It was a big step-up in grade for the son of Dubawi after contest BM78 company last time out, however, he seemed to relish the Soft 6 conditions on offer as he picked up his first win at Rosehill at start 12. Tommy Berry was happy to bide his time at the rear of the field, sitting last amongst the small field of seven throughout the journey, as James McDonald and Changingoftheguard ($5.00) strode to the front ticking over some moderate sectionals. The race didn’t change complexion in the middle stages, with Canberra Legend ($9.00) sitting to his outside, while Campaldino ($4.80) and well-supported favourite Strathtay ($3.20) were stalking every step of the way. When asked for an effort in the final 600m, First Light slowly started to build the revs, and there was only one horse you wanted to be on as the six-year-old bound clear to score by 3.1 lengths, leaving Changingoftheguard and Strathtay to fight out the minor placings. 2024 Group 3 Colin Stephen Quality Replay – First Light Chris Waller was on course to represent the stable and confirmed the major possibility of First Light backing up into next Saturday’s Group 1 staying feature. “It was an exciting win,” said Waller. “Tommy just let him do his own thing, flopped out of the barriers, minded his own business and joined in at the top of the straight. And he came away for a really good win. “We are (well represented in the Metrop) but it’s a Group One race so I’ll have a talk to Mrs Rupert and her team and see what they’ve got to say. “They bred this horse in England and sent him out, and I’m sure it would mean a lot to them, a Group win and a Group One placing or a win (in The Metrop) wouldn’t be the worst thing. “We’ve found in the past, backing horses up, it’s not always the worst thing in a staying race, they need to be fit. He can go home and won’t have to do any more galloping, he’s had his gallop today.” Tommy Berry was confident thanks to the guidance of Chirs Waller pre-race and credited his mounts adaptability to get through conditions. “He was (dominant),” said Berry. “I had a really good feeling about him today on the back-up. Chris just wrapped up his preparation perfectly and I know he really likes wet ground. I said to Chris before the race, I said ‘I just would have loved it to be a bit softer’, and he goes, ‘he’ll be right’. “So that gave me the confidence to ride him like I usually do and forget about the first half of the race, and when he’s in a field where it’s not that big and he doesn’t have as much ground to make up, he’s quite dynamic.” First Light is now a $15.00 chance with horse racing bookmakers in the Metropolitan Handicap (2400m) on October 5. Horse racing news View the full article
    • MEETING NEWS Update Re North Island Race Meetings The remainder of the meeting that was abandoned today at Hastings will be run by the Matamata RC at Matamata on Wednesday 2 October. New nominations will be required for all races aside from The Arrowfield which was an early entry race. This race will be transferred to Wednesday. Preference will be given to horses that were originally accepted for the Hawke’s Bay meeting. Nominations for this new meeting will close on Monday 30 September at 9am with withdrawals closing at midday also on Monday.   The Cambridge meeting which was scheduled for Wednesday will now run on Thursday 3 October, Nominations remain open for this meeting until 9am Monday.   The Matamata meeting scheduled for Saturday 5 October will now be a Tauranga meeting at Tauranga. The programme for this meeting will need to be revised, This programme will be provided either on Sunday or early Monday morning.
    • Confirmed remaining races from today have been moved to Matamata Wednesday 2 October 2024.
    • It was a good nights viewing on friday ight lights. Wag start was impressive. 15 lengths is a long way. I see driver m hurrell said he didn't even have to pull the ear plugs. he did the same last year fresh up winning by 10 lengths in about the same time and never pulled the ear plugs then either.He did go good for another couple of starts after that last year,but then wasn't quite as good thereafter, even though he ran some nice races. Will last nights fast time effect him going forward?sweet lous are very good sprinters and race well fresh. as tab forever has pointed out ,they ran a mile in 1.54.7 in the non win race at auckland. Imagine taking what you think was a nice non win horse to auckland and having to run that time first up. You can see why many just stick to racing at cambridge instead of auckland. talking about auckland. The last 4 races had 5,6,6,6 starters and the turnovers were very poor on those races. The nz win pools for each was between 3-4,000. Some will say,its about keeping alexandra park going,and just ignore the losses that hrnz generate.how long can they keep doing that?. Even the addington tote nz tab turnovers weren't anything to write home about. The main race was ok and the biggest with just over $12,000. Looking at the tabcorp win pools only. Gore on thursday had more in total than addington,even with addington having an extra race.  the biggest pool with the nz tab and tabcorp this week was the 0-1 win trot at gore that had the power failure beforehand. Amazing how many punters in australia just bet on the next race to go. They kept putting the gore race back,but it kept popping up as the next race to go and both the nz tab and tabcorp pools kept getting higher. I saw major moth win the kilmore cup quite easily. Fancy sky racing not even giving the kilmore cup any pre race coverage on either sky channel and instead only showing the last round. Instead they kept showing some 0-1 win gallops race at the sunshine coast  that was running a few minutes late. Kilmore started on time but got a raw deal.  
    • Helps if you produce a track to race on.  Trentham - stuffed, New Plymouth - stuffed, Awapuni - yet to be tried after renovation, Otaki - not great....
  • Topics