• 0 replies
  1. Royal Return

• 0 replies
  2. Show The Way

• 0 replies
  3. Mayday Magic

• 0 replies

Announcements

• Impeccably bred Savabeel filly Waikato Girl (NZ) has added valuable black-type to her CV with a brave victory in the Listed Princess Stakes (1600m) at Eagle Farm on Saturday for trainer Michael Freedman. Bred and part-owned by Sir Peter Vela, Waikato Girl is out of Scintilulla, a Group Three winning and multiple Group One placed daughter of champion sire Galileo. Sporting the colours of Gandharvi Racing, Waikato Girl broke maiden ranks when successful at Rosehill in November. She found her way to Queensland for the upcoming Brisbane winter carnival off the back of finishing just beyond midfield in the Gr.3 Adrian Knox Stakes (2000m) on a Heavy track at Randwick earlier in the month. Specked late in the betting the filly travelled in midfield before sneaking up one off the fence early in the run home. Rider Vlad Duric got to work in the final 200m and she slowly reeled in Amazonian Lass (More Than Ready), who looked set for victory after moving clear of the field at that point, gaining the upper hand in the shadows of the post to register her second career success at just her seventh start. Kiwi import Firestorm (NZ) (Satono Aladdin) was a shade unlucky in third in what was a messy race. Duric admitted the confidence of Freedman had him feeling good about his chances prior to the race, although he had to overcome plenty of adversity in the run. “Michael was very bullish about her with blinkers on today,” Duric said. “Gee it was a rough race. There were horses that nearly fell in front of me and the horse inside me clipped heels and bumped into her and put her into the fence. “The win was first-class. To pick herself up and then fight at the end of the race, all credit goes to her and goes to Michael. “She has got black-type and I know there are a few people who will be very chuffed about this win. My good friend Mike Kneebone (Director of New Zealand Bloodstock) will be rapt, so it’s very good.” Purchased by Bloodstock Agent Michael Wallace for $600,000 out of Pencarrow Stud’s 2022 Karaka Book 1 draft, Waikato Girl is raced by Bangalore-born, Boston-based Kuldeep Singh Rajput under his Gandharvi banner in conjunction with New Zealand Bloodstock proprietor Sir Peter Vela. She is the younger sister of Gr.2 Autumn Classic (1800m) runner-up Butter Chicken (NZ) (Savabeel) and comes from an extended family that includes multiple European stakes winners. Waikato Girl’s four-time winning half-sister Stella Splendida (NZ) (Zoustar) recently sold for $410,000 on gavelhouse.com. Waikato Girl has now won two races with a further three placings, including a third placing in the Gr.3 Kembla Grange Classic (1600m). The blueblood filly has plenty of Queensland options and is in the market for the Gr.1 Queensland Oaks (2200m) at Eagle Farm on June 8. View the full article
    • Jockey Lachlan Neindorf celebrated a Group One milestone as he guided Zoustar mare Climbing High (NZ) to the pair’s first Group One victory in the Robert Sangster Stakes (1200m) at Morphettville. After stepping slowly, Climbing Star, who carries the NZ suffix, settled near last in a strongly run race. The Phillip Stokes-trained four-year-old spotted the leaders in excess of ten lengths and was down on the inner of the track which jockeys had avoided for most of the day. Neindorf didn’t panic and gambled on a rails run which he gratefully accepted as the majority of the field rolled out towards the middle of the track. Climbing Star dashed into contention and narrowly defeated Learning To Fly (Justify) who came deepest of all, with Benedetta (Hellbent) back in third. It was the first success at the highest level for the twenty-two-year-old Neindorf and he was trying to remain calm immediately after the race, although the emotion of the moment was clearly playing out as he accepted congratulations from well-wishers. “I’m trying to keep it together but it was a really good win,” Neindorf said. “She stumbled at the start as I wanted to be a lot closer and from that point on, I just went bugger this, let’s go back to the inside and try and ride a race. “We got the favours and here we are. “A lot was going through my head and I was just trying to treat it like another race, thinking I’d cut my losses and run home into a place with even luck but this is very special. “This is for everyone in the Stokes stable and for my family and everyone here.” Stokes had been cautiously confident in the buildup regarding the chances of both his runners, with Stretan Angel (Harry Angel) also engaged and felt the outside barrier for Climbing Star might be to her advantage although those thoughts went out the window as the barriers opened. “I thought the outside barrier may not be as bad the way the track was playing,” he said. “She has been aimed at this, was third up and going super so we thought she would give a sight. “When I was watching the race, I was thinking what is happening here as we were meant to be on the outer, but it is just great for Lachie to get the win. “I’ve got some really good friends in this horse so it is a big thrill. “She has just come of age and is starting to blossom and she has a big Spring ahead of her.” Bred by Sheikh Fahad and the Royal Family of Qatar under their Qatar Bloodstock banner, Climbing Star is out of the Fastnet Rock mare Bryony, who visited Windsor Park Stud stallion Charm Spirit on three occasions, with that stallion raced by Qatar Bloodstock. View the full article
    • Handy three-year-old Lantern Way (NZ) (Satono Aladdin) returned to his best at Wanganui on Saturday with the aid of a gear change paving the way for a visit to the winners’ enclosure following the running of the Commdives NZ 3YO (1340m).  The strapping son of Satono Aladdin had looked to have immense promise when he took out the Gr.2 Hawke’s Bay Guineas (1400m) at Hastings back in September last year, and followed up with a meritorious fifth in the Gr.1 New Zealand 2000 Guineas (1600m) before heading to the spelling paddock.  Much was expected upon his return to racing last month but a middling effort for seventh in the Gr.2 Wellington Guineas (1400m) at Trentham and an abject failure next up at the same venue left trainer Lisa Latta scratching her head.  The Manawatu mentor added a tongue tie to his gear for Saturday and he produced in fine style as he stormed home in the hands of Jonathan Riddell to head Matamata filly Loch Katrine (NZ) (Ardrossan) in the shadows of the post and register his second career victory.  “We left Wellington pretty dejected three weeks ago as he was gone a long way out,” Latta said.  “We couldn’t put it down to a lot, so we added the tongue tie, and he looked super today.  “I was a little bit worried about the real heavy track (Heavy 8) but he has dug deep to win.  “While the weather is still good, we will put him out for six weeks then have him ready for Hastings in the Spring.  “He has always shown a lot and he is an absolute beauty.”  Riddell also made mention of his disappointment in Lantern Way’s Trentham run.  “I was so frustrated last start as I went to races and thought he would win but he dropped out,” he said.  “He went through his gears today coming around the corner and that tongue tie has helped.  “He is a lovely horse, so nice around the stable and he is one on my favourites.” Lantern Way was bred by Rich Hill Thoroughbreds, who will stand his sire Satono Aladdin for a service fee of $65,000 +GST for the 2024 breeding season.  Rich Hill offered Lantern Way as a yearling in Book 2 at Karaka in 2022, where Latta secured him for $40,000. His eleven-start career has now produced two wins and four placings, earning more than $184,000 in stakes. View the full article
    • World’s highest-earning racehorse chases historic fourth Champions Mile victory on bumper Sha Tin SundayView the full article
    • All trainers appeal suspensions in the states. Means absolutely nothing.  Wagner who had the most positives had a record as long as your arm . Including getting caught with EPO
  • Topics