NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Riccarton a joke

barryb

1 hour ago, Freda said:

So..to harp on about this b/s...which gives me the shits...if Walshy could identify a problem,  what about the stipe  - sorry RIU member - who walked the track and approved it?  Is he blind?

Will he be reprimanded?  Will the track manager who authorised the mowing/watering be spoken to firmly?   Will the CJC fraternity who want other tracks to close and their clubs to race at Riccarton feel, ever so slightly,  embarassed?

The recommendation in the M report was that many of the 'keep' tracks be reconstructed.  Has anyone from NZTR bothered to discuss with the 'close' tracks any likely time frames and perhaps reassure them that they will most definitely be needed while this reconstruction goes on?  

Oh - hang on,  that's right,  they all have to be cashed up to get the funds to do the reconstruction.

FFS.

Clearly D Walsh is an expert - why not simply use him?  He is at every meeting. Peter O'Malley tells me  exactly what you said Pam - the track was hard as hell underneath a very thick coating of grass. From the sounds of things the irrigation couldn't get through.

But these guys have a team of track men - why didn't they know that?  

As far as more renovation goes the tell me they set it up as virtual road underneath - maybe they were getting it ready for the all weather 20 years ago?

Edited by Reefton

The rebuild twenty years ago was done on flawed specifications. - IMO - although I am certainly no expert. 

It has been contentious ever since and, as Curious and others have stated, twenty years is about the lifespan of your turf track anyway. 

As for track men knowing about the hard pam....go figure

3 hours ago, Freda said:

So..to harp on about this b/s...which gives me the shits...if Walshy could identify a problem,  what about the stipe  - sorry RIU member - who walked the track and approved it?  Is he blind?

Will he be reprimanded?  Will the track manager who authorised the mowing/watering be spoken to firmly?   Will the CJC fraternity who want other tracks to close and their clubs to race at Riccarton feel, ever so slightly,  embarassed?

The recommendation in the M report was that many of the 'keep' tracks be reconstructed.  Has anyone from NZTR bothered to discuss with the 'close' tracks any likely time frames and perhaps reassure them that they will most definitely be needed while this reconstruction goes on?  

Oh - hang on,  that's right,  they all have to be cashed up to get the funds to do the reconstruction.

FFS.

Firstly [IMO] the RIU person should be sent for re-training, then, the track manager shown cause, or to reapply for his job.......stern talking to's don't seem to work, no one listens, and who will do the lecturing?.......I wonder what JM thought of the debacle yesterday, just another sad day in the sad days.......as I said in an earlier post, will the owners who travelled distances be compensated? and the trainers, what about those that took raceday staff and had to pay their wages and exes for the day?.......well, I'm not fighting their fight, they have to stand up, just like Rob Heathcote did, nows the time for the trainers to say, ''enough is enough'' I'm/we are out of pocket and we need recompense.!.....and it must never happen again.......#pigswillfly

1 hour ago, Hedley said:

The use of Urea long term, will result in compaction and that hard pan..because Worms hate Urea.That means the Worms aren't doing their tunneling which accentuates good drainage.

The Worms won't like all that Sand either.

I'm not sure it was urea but that track looked very lush and very green two weeks ago hence my suspicions.  I could be totally wrong but it improved a hell of a lot from the two weeks prior to that.  Anyway Riccarton has had millions spent on it and this is an example of how judiciously it was spent.  As I warned/asked them at Oamaru 'what procedures do you have in place to make sure all this money you are going to be getting will be well spent because this might well be the last time you can go to the well for all those big clubs'.

Bernard choose not to respond to that question.

Edited by Reefton

13 minutes ago, Reefton said:

I'm not sure it was urea but that track looked very lush and very green two weeks ago hence my suspicions.  I could be totally wrong but it improved a hell of a lot from the two weeks prior to that.  Anyway Riccarton has had millions spent on it and this is an example of how judiciously it was spent.  As I warned/asked them at Oamaru 'what procedures do you have in place to make sure all this money you are going to be getting will be well spent because this might well be the last time you can go to the well for all those big clubs'.

Bernard choose not to respond to that question.

Bernard does not respond to a lot of questions Brian, silence!

Specsavers should be busy on Monday -

Race 1 

T Moseley reported that RED RIVER ROCK had lost its footing near the 600 metres.   After interviewing all Riders that rode in Race one Stewards undertook a track inspection with Club Officials and jockeys.  It was then determined to be an isolated incident after T Moseley reported that RED RIVER ROCK had been racing ungenerously at the time with no other rider advising of any incident or concern.   

Race 2

Several jockeys reported that their mounts had lost their footing in an area passing the 600 metres. A further inspection of the area was undertaken by Club officials, Trainer and Jockey representatives, and Stewards and it was determined that the track was unsuitable for further racing.  After consultation with NZTR and the TAB the remaining 8 races are to be conducted on Tuesday 09 November at Riccarton. 

Interesting report. I noticed in the first about half a dozen nearly fell over when they jumped. Unless there was some other reason  for that than the track, it was no isolated incident. The second start didn't look much better. In the second one slipped on straightening on the outside well clear of any other horse round the 450, so it was not just at the 600. Specsavers is right!

What are they doing to ensure it's safe on Tuesday?

Edited by curious

Groundbreaker,  I believe.

Track was open this morning for those affected horses,  until 9.a.m.

Machinery arrived in the middle of trackwork.

That is typical, of course.

And my comment about ' being spoken to '  was,  I'm afraid,  tongue -in -cheek.

There were worried looks aplenty,  much handwringing,  but not much else.

Edited by Freda

For  the future of racing in Cantrerbury and South Island Racing the current CEO should step aside. 

25 + years and what has he achieved. Racing has changed, no longer the job of someone who has no other qualifications than having done the same job....forever.

For racing to have a future NEW BLOOD is required, NEW IDEAS are required, VISION is required.

BUT sadly this will not happen as he has surrounded himself with people who have similar ideas and thoughts.

• Like 3
  • Champ Post 1

4 hours ago, Thomass said:

Surely you all jest...and it's just bad luck??

This Track Manager is the Head honcho of the NZ Track Manager's Assoc.

So he must know what he's doing...

..and who doesn't like the smell of fresh grass clippings ffs??

With events nationwide,  that is,  sadly,  no endorsement.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TIME FOR CHANGE said:

For  the future of racing in Cantrerbury and South Island Racing the current CEO should step aside. 

25 + years and what has he achieved. Racing has changed, no longer the job of someone who has no other qualifications than having done the same job....forever.

For racing to have a future NEW BLOOD is required, NEW IDEAS are required, VISION is required.

BUT sadly this will not happen as he has surrounded himself with people who have similar ideas and thoughts.

Vision.

What’s that .  Hell thats not a requirement at Riccarton.

Ask Tim Mills and he would have to get the dictionary out.

But as long as he does his radio stint on Saturday mornings,  alls good .

Lets not be too harsh on Tim Mills.  At the end of the day he has staff that are responsible for this and obviously cocked up.

BUT........

Messara and his NZTR cohorts assured us that the close tracks were not up to scratch and that the big boys knew what they were doing.  Now there have been three track debacles this season and every single one has been on one of the 'big boys' tracks.

What conclusion might we draw here?

2 hours ago, Reefton said:

Lets not be too harsh on Tim Mills.  At the end of the day he has staff that are responsible for this and obviously cocked up.

BUT........

Messara and his NZTR cohorts assured us that the close tracks were not up to scratch and that the big boys knew what they were doing.  Now there have been three track debacles this season and every single one has been on one of the 'big boys' tracks.

What conclusion might we draw here?

That's been one of my points....that the wee clubs have been on the thin end of the wedge wrt preferential funding,  and the big clubs have had more dosh...because of their 'strategic importance '  ...well,  haven't they done a grand job with that extra funding.

As for the CJC staff...yes,  it was their cock-up,   but no one will have any questions asked.  And at the end of the day,  the course manager who is the head honcho [ as Thommo said ] of track managers,  is working from the same song sheet as the rest....he may not have any choice in the matter.

Whoever writes the tunes,  however, is certainly one who needs to be shown the door.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

Lets hope that Tim organised a working Bee this morning, went to Mitre 10 and bought a dozen rakes and rakes up the grass clippings.

Instead they will panic, vertidrain, irrigate, mow, irrigate, roll and we will end up with a track bordering slow with clods flying everywhere.

Tim will be happy as they will have 8 winners drinking in the Chairmans Room.

This is the paddock I'll see out my kitchen window when I wake up in the morning, sip my long black and the dawn breaks. A mow (or maybe better a graze and mow) and a roll and I'd say it would provide excellent, safe, fair and even footing in almost any weather conditions. We are blessed in NZ with 100s of gals and guys that know how to do this. They have to or they'll starve. If I take a spade out there and show you the depth and mass of the root structure, you'll know that there won't be any slipping or clods flying up.

It's not rocket science. You can't leave tracks unattended for 20 or 30 years. (Correction Freda - I don't think I ever said 20 years - 7-10 max maybe?).

IMG_20181008_175240.jpg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, curious said:

This is the paddock I'll see out my kitchen window when I wake up in the morning, sip my long black and the dawn breaks. A mow (or maybe better a graze and mow) and a roll and I'd say it would provide excellent, safe, fair and even footing in almost any weather conditions. We are blessed in NZ with 100s of gals and guys that know how to do this. They have to or they'll starve. If I take a spade out there and show you the depth and mass of the root structure, you'll know that there won't be any slipping or clods flying up.

It's not rocket science. You can't leave tracks unattended for 20 or 30 years. (Correction Freda - I don't think I ever said 20 years - 7-10 max maybe?).

IMG_20181008_175240.jpg

Yep - no farmer doesn't renovate their paddocks for 20 years.  They'd be out of business.  Plus Curious there are probably no sand slits or complex drainage systems underneath that paddock.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Yep - no farmer doesn't renovate their paddocks for 20 years.  They'd be out of business.  Plus Curious there are probably no sand slits or complex drainage systems underneath that paddock.

2 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

i see theres a gap between the posts good access