NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Riccarton a joke

barryb

It's an oldy but a goody, you are only as good as the person that trains you...in a trade....not life!.......the apprentices academy in Durban where most of South Africa's leading jockeys come out of should be the model for NZ.....You should not be able to have an apprentice unless they come through an academy......the days of mucking out, leading to the track, carrying water buckets and running feeds is not the way of today, shame in many ways as that's how we learnt and the boss sieved the wheat from the chaff.......young kids nowadays shouldn't be woken at 3-30am and worked like naffies, we are more advanced than that surely......to encourage youngsters to our industry we need to show them humility and kindness firstly and reward hard work in a proper fashion......girls, yes girls are the future for racing as they are still light and males getting heavier, look here in Australia, without the ladies our industry would be kaput, they are indispensable, big time, the best jocks in general are the ladies......South Aussie, West Aussie, here in QLD and in the country of NSW they rule, it's only in the city in SYD that they are still struggling to break through......Victoria also, but Linda Meech, Rachel King, Jamie Kah, Lucy Warwick, Kayla Nisbit, Kathy O'Hara  Tegan Harrison all better than the Kiwi riders in my opinion, they ride six days a week for Gods sake, they hone their skills because they can......for the Kiwi's to get better they need races to ride in...therein lays your biggest problem.

• Like 1

Yep, agree wrt Durban academy, many of the Mauritius lads have attended too, and it seems to be a very good system.

A mate of mine ( Irish) has given me much background info on the Irish apprentice academy also,  that is also IMO a far better operation than we have here.

I haven't seen anything from our apprentice schools which look as if there is any use in attending, which - again IMO - is why the trainers are so important in our system for achieving competence.

Edited by Freda

9 hours ago, Rowley Mile said:

It's an oldy but a goody, you are only as good as the person that trains you...in a trade....not life!.......the apprentices academy in Durban where most of South Africa's leading jockeys come out of should be the model for NZ.....You should not be able to have an apprentice unless they come through an academy......the days of mucking out, leading to the track, carrying water buckets and running feeds is not the way of today, shame in many ways as that's how we learnt and the boss sieved the wheat from the chaff.......young kids nowadays shouldn't be woken at 3-30am and worked like naffies, we are more advanced than that surely......to encourage youngsters to our industry we need to show them humility and kindness firstly and reward hard work in a proper fashion......girls, yes girls are the future for racing as they are still light and males getting heavier, look here in Australia, without the ladies our industry would be kaput, they are indispensable, big time, the best jocks in general are the ladies......South Aussie, West Aussie, here in QLD and in the country of NSW they rule, it's only in the city in SYD that they are still struggling to break through......Victoria also, but Linda Meech, Rachel King, Jamie Kah, Lucy Warwick, Kayla Nisbit, Kathy O'Hara  Tegan Harrison all better than the Kiwi riders in my opinion, they ride six days a week for Gods sake, they hone their skills because they can......for the Kiwi's to get better they need races to ride in...therein lays your biggest problem.

big call saying the industry would be kaput without the girls  i cant see saturday meetings at caulfield and randwick being affected if the girls went on strike

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Freda said:

I think Mr Walsh also believes there should be a system change.

NZTR should be indenturing these kids, training them properly and only then allowing them to work for selected trainers. . .and not permanently, but on a rotational basis.

Why would you rotate them it doesn't work for those rotating now

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pitman said:

Why would you rotate them it doesn't work for those rotating now

You've got to try something, the way you are doing it now sucks, and you lot are only floating because of your sick litigation laws.....what I witnessed in the SI is laughable, good trainers having to put up inferior riders. I can throw the colours in the room here in QLD and wouldn't care who picked them up, that's how good these kids are......you want to improve? then start at the rider, as in the wash up, they are the most important aspect of the industry, improve their skill sets and it will bring more confidence through the tote and bookmaker, oh that's right, no bookmakers in NZ.

11 minutes ago, Rowley Mile said:

You've got to try something, the way you are doing it now sucks, and you lot are only floating because of your sick litigation laws.....what I witnessed in the SI is laughable, good trainers having to put up inferior riders. I can throw the colours in the room here in QLD and wouldn't care who picked them up, that's how good these kids are......you want to improve? then start at the rider, as in the wash up, they are the most important aspect of the industry, improve their skill sets and it will bring more confidence through the tote and bookmaker, oh that's right, no bookmakers in NZ.

Yes, that's another thing that needs to be sorted in order to have an attractive wagering product and grow revenue.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wally said:

big call saying the industry would be kaput without the girls  i cant see saturday meetings at caulfield and randwick being affected if the girls went on strike

Like it or not Wally, you wouldn't like it if your a mysoginist, I'm guessing, but they [girls] are the future. How long are you going to import light Indian fellows eh? why do that when you can provide a wonderful occupation for young Kiwi girls? Where the hell do you think SI racing would be without the likes of Kylie Williams and Sam Wynne, Tina Comignaghi, and Tanya Jonker. Yes I know three of those girls were born elsewhere, but they are now Kiwi's and most definitely ladies!....there are many other young ladies that swing up every morn and put countless steeds through their paces? I'm using the SI as the example as I believe it's closer to sinking, and that's because of the appalling governance by HQ!....anyway, whatever I say is irrelevant Wally, I'm a voice in the wilderness, and luckily live in Oz, but why do I bother to post, because there is nothing that I would rather see than a wonderful vibrant and successful racing industry in NZ, and it's not, it's been rooted by lunatics in the asylum, allowed to get away with mayhem by a woeful trainers association and an even worse Owners association and an egotistical breeders association, they combined could have brought these people to task.....just like we witnessed this week here in QLD with our trainers/owners/breeders/ jockeys uniting for the sake of the industry. I'm not apologising for ranting, it's passion you see, and financial investment in not only our horses, but the lives of our trainers over there who we love and respect...so there!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rowley Mile said:

Like it or not Wally, you wouldn't like it if your a mysoginist, I'm guessing, but they [girls] are the future. How long are you going to import light Indian fellows eh? why do that when you can provide a wonderful occupation for young Kiwi girls? Where the hell do you think SI racing would be without the likes of Kylie Williams and Sam Wynne, Tina Comignaghi, and Tanya Jonker. Yes I know three of those girls were born elsewhere, but they are now Kiwi's and most definitely ladies!....there are many other young ladies that swing up every morn and put countless steeds through their paces? I'm using the SI as the example as I believe it's closer to sinking, and that's because of the appalling governance by HQ!....anyway, whatever I say is irrelevant Wally, I'm a voice in the wilderness, and luckily live in Oz, but why do I bother to post, because there is nothing that I would rather see than a wonderful vibrant and successful racing industry in NZ, and it's not, it's been rooted by lunatics in the asylum, allowed to get away with mayhem by a woeful trainers association and an even worse Owners association and an egotistical breeders association, they combined could have brought these people to task.....just like we witnessed this week here in QLD with our trainers/owners/breeders/ jockeys uniting for the sake of the industry. I'm not apologising for ranting, it's passion you see, and financial investment in not only our horses, but the lives of our trainers over there who we love and respect...so there!

whats the si got to do with your comment re aust would be kaput

For Gods sake man, I'm telling you how important the females are within our industry, and take it in it's context, if the girls withdrew their labour, [yes! in SYD and MEL] the majority of the horses wouldn't get worked!...then you would have a conundrum, no? SYD and MEL are the benchmarks, arguably Globally!.......those huge stables like the ex Foxton fellow use girls very sparingly, not so much Gai, she has always been an advocate for the fairer sex.....to her credit, young Rachel King rode the pants off her rivals when winning the Champion Stakes last week,  Mark Newnham [who rode for me often when he was a jockey] uses the ladies, he recognises their skills and dedication.

Anyway Wally, I've said my piece, I tried to back my statement by using facts , the girls are well able to hold their corner, after all, IMO, as unimportant as that is.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rowley Mile said:

For Gods sake man, I'm telling you how important the females are within our industry, and take it in it's context, if the girls withdrew their labour, [yes! in SYD and MEL] the majority of the horses wouldn't get worked!...then you would have a conundrum, no? SYD and MEL are the benchmarks, arguably Globally!.......those huge stables like the ex Foxton fellow use girls very sparingly, not so much Gai, she has always been an advocate for the fairer sex.....to her credit, young Rachel King rode the pants off her rivals when winning the Champion Stakes last week,  Mark Newnham [who rode for me often when he was a jockey] uses the ladies, he recognises their skills and dedication.

Anyway Wally, I've said my piece, I tried to back my statement by using facts , the girls are well able to hold their corner, after all, IMO, as unimportant as that is.

your comments starting off referring to female jockeys even assaying females are the best jock  any riding in the 2major races tomorrow in syd and melb now you want to widen your statement to include strappers etc remember one thing everyone can be replaced anyway im off to watch sam and kylie             2.4 sam in jockey challenge get on

Edited by wally

12 hours ago, Newmarket said:

How come the meetings that have been called off recently, are never before first race, but after races have been run? 

Do they not run a horse around before races start, if they have doubts? Cant be safe at 12-15, but unsafe 12-45???

clearly they don't have doubts.

1 hour ago, wally said:

as a matter of imterest rowley what would you say was the best horse you trained

Wally, the best is yet to come.......a lovely Showcasing filly followed by a beautiful Dalghar filly, the Dalghar's bro ran 4th in a Gr1 here in Brisvegas, beaten a length, so here's hoping......never look back Wally, always look forward.

9 minutes ago, Rowley Mile said:

Wally, the best is yet to come.......a lovely Showcasing filly followed by a beautiful Dalghar filly, the Dalghar's bro ran 4th in a Gr1 here in Brisvegas, beaten a length, so here's hoping......never look back Wally, always look forward.

let me reframe the question apart from the showcasing filly what was your best prior to her

Wally, I haven't trained the Showcasing yet, she's an unbroken 2yo, however, as you ask, the best horse I trained was named ''Wainwright'' . He was exceptional, unfortunately he nearly died after a throat op, and it was a miracle he survived, he did get to the races again but never ever the same. At his first start in a race, Rosehill, we backed him to win a quarter of a million dollars, 125-1 into 25's......I trained him for a former MEL rails bookmaker and Mrs Rowley, he ran 3rd to Identikit....who went onto win more than a mil in prize-money, pilot error, John Hawkes trained him, we used to beat each other when John trained in MEL. Tates Legacy another good one, won by 7 lengths in Sydney giving Dwayne Dunn his first winning ride in NSW.... I was very lucky to have rained the best winter middle distance 3yo in. Oz in 1988, Nemonic, we took more than half a million out of the bookie's bags after he won at Moonee Valley by 3 lengths and then again 2 weeks later when he won the Sandringham Hcp at Flemington by 4 lengths. His jockey was Pat Hyland, champion fellow and champion jockey, he wanted me to set him for the big Spring races, he broke his leg shortly after when 3 lengths in front at Caulfield, when you are a small stable that loss devastates you, it sure did.....another I had was Pabulum, a son of Artifice who won an AKL Cup, he started fav in the Metropolitan Hcp, however we thought we could win the Caulfield Cup, in the lead up he was bought undone by a Kiwi visitor, Renteeno, Harry White couldn't hold that horse and it was a debacle......we missed the cup, and didn't make the Cox Plate field, so I had to take him to Adelaide, we ran into Frontier Boy a multiple Gr winner, our fellow was so good he beat him, smashed the track record held by another Caulfield Cup winner, Water Boatman, Frontier Boy at his next start won the Queen Elizabeth at Flemington, Gr2.....our boy broke down in the Bendigo Gold Cup when one of Colin Hayes bled and concertinad him......such is life. There you go Wally, I've been very transparent here, Wally was the stable name for Nemonic as it happens,  so maybe that's why I've laid it all bare.....and honest....enjoy your day punting,, today is as good as it gets here in Oz, shame about the rain

• Like 5